I want my, I want my, I want my stealth hack-free - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We have a staff...do you?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-03-18, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I want my, I want my, I want my stealth hack-free

It was mentioned in another post with regard to stealthing and issues that arise if the at-rest stealthed avatar was to be rendered invisible at the clientside, as opposed to server side.

Go here if you want your hack-free stealthing questions answered and bump the post:

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/001684.html

stupid PSU UBB code gave the URL a ..... in teh middle of it!??!Now fixed

Last edited by mikkyT; 2003-03-18 at 09:47 AM.
Old 2003-03-18, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Synergy
Sergeant

Message Not Found
The message you are looking for is no longer on the server. Occasionally, we delete old messages to improve the performance of the boards.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.
We're working hard to get the patch out tonight...despite the fact that we're essentially starting from scratch at 9:30 in the evening.
Heh. Dedicated? Insane? You decide. But we're doing it.

No ETA...but our goal is "before Dawn".
Old 2003-03-18, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Try that one, it works now...
Old 2003-03-18, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
mr_luc
Sergeant Major

Yeah, that was me that mentioned it in an earlier post.

I really believe the devs should look at this.

As we have seen from the various 3DMark2001 driver hacks, it can be very dificult to prevent people from creating and distributing hacked drivers that have the capability to disable alpha blending.

As I mentioned in the earlier thread, I think the PS devs should SERIOUSLY consider taking the better safe than sorry approach: when the server knows that a player is completely stealthed from other players (ie, standing still and stealthed), he should not even be drawn. Not with even the slightest amount of alpha. If possible, they should stop sending information about a stealthed player's location. (this isn't really necessary if they're using packet compression, I don't know because I DON'T HAVE BETA *SOB*) As we have seen in other games, it is possible to hack uncompressed streams to reveal the exact location of all players that the server sends to our client.

The current method appears to send the location of the stealthed player, and to even draw him -- just instructing the client to draw him at a greatly reduced level of visibility. This method is very vulnerable to client-side driver (graphics) hacks, and it may also be susceptable to packet hacks (packets from server intercepted and player locations extracted before sending them to the game; this information could be displayed either in a separate app, maybe on a second monitor, as an overlay -- compass-style, or even on top of the included minimap -- or even as an elaborate minimap hack).

But, either way. I like the idea of stealthers being weak -- they should be extremely weak, I don't want many of them! But when they're standing perfectly still, they should be COMPLETELY invisible (maybe unless hit). Every effort should be taken to ensure that the 2% or so of players that play the game the most, and take it seriously enough to download any cheats they hear about, will not ruin the game for an entire class of players. Remember, it only takes one person with hacked drivers to catch that stealther -- it will doubtless be hard enough to do anything worthwhile as a stealther, and once your cover is blown you're likely dead -- let's try to keep it as fair as possible.
Old 2003-03-18, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

mr_luc can you post that in my thread on the official forum plz

Old 2003-03-18, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
mr_luc
Sergeant Major

:P Seriously, they know all about that stuff. You just have to mention the possibility of hacks that let people locate stealthed players and they get a much better picture in their heads of what might happen than you or I could paint . . . so just let them know you're concerned, and move on. They may not consider the risk significant enough -- but this is something that you can't really prove someone wrong on, other than to say that I think any cheats that worked for PS would very quickly be spread -- the game needs to have a design that minimizes what such cheats can accomplish. It already does; as far as I know, the majority of the weapons aren't hitscan, which gets rid of huge number of aimbot-style cheats (which are notoriously hard to create, and would be even harder to create since we don't have any mod tools for PS).

Really, packet hacking (just for reading what the server's sending you, not for trying to fool it) and driver hacks are just about the only two things that I see being possible (and if packet compression is used, again, a packet hack will be MUCH MUCH harder to write, and nearly impossible depending on what type of compression is used).
Old 2003-03-18, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Really, packet hacking (just for reading what the server's sending you, not for trying to fool it) and driver hacks are just about the only two things that I see being possible (and if packet compression is used, again, a packet hack will be MUCH MUCH harder to write, and nearly impossible depending on what type of compression is used).
Thats why I want packet encryption.

There was an application called showEQ which was a packet sniffer for EverQuest. It read the data in packets, displayed it in a nice readable form. They even had zone maps graphically displaying locations of every spawned item in that zone.!!! That was purely because the packets of data being sent to the EQ client contained that data.

Planetside gets around this by only sending what it needs to send, eg if your behind a hill etc etc. It only sends what you can see. So this should work for cloaking too, when your totally invis, you should not even be sent the data regarding the invis stationary object.

Therefore IF someone did sniff the packets, there would be nothing useful in them!!!
Old 2003-03-18, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Just because it is client side doesn't mean it is still hackable.... there are still plenty of other ways to secure the game with stuff client side, and PS has some I am sure.
Old 2003-03-18, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Fair comment Kiwi, but it makes it hackable more easily than if its handled server side.
Old 2003-03-18, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by mikkyT
Fair comment Kiwi, but it makes it hackable more easily than if its handled server side.
Some stuff has to be handled client-side though to minimize the size of the packets sent back and forth. Huge netcode is a very bad thing.

Since PS has complete control, they can easily build in a full file check at start-up and monitoring to make sure you are running an identical copy of the game. Hacking isn't very predominate in any MMORPG for that reason. It is really easy to prevent the majority of hacks in an MMO, unlike in a standard FPS
Old 2003-03-18, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

It is really easy to prevent the majority of hacks in an MMO, unlike in a standard FPS
Except the very hacks that make what I describe possible.
Old 2003-03-18, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
RageMaster
Corporal

The easiest solution to this problem...

Stick a huge polygon at 0% transparency infront of the camera for every player. If they hack the alpha on their graphics card the infiltrators become visible but it doesnt matter as they cant see dick past this wall of black texture they just placed infront of their visor.

Sorted.
Old 2003-03-18, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
quiet
Staff Sergeant

a litle detail

I read in one of the previews that your crosshairs would change color (redlock) when passed over a fully cloaked stealther.

Edit: I just saw a screenshot that contradicts that info :P.

Last edited by quiet; 2003-03-18 at 01:25 PM.
Old 2003-03-18, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
tmax
Master Sergeant

your crosshairs would change ...but the chances of you just moving around and having the crosshairs chage colors is slim to none
Old 2003-03-18, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Flameseeker
Captain

I think someone using that would eventually be reported. Also, if your base is being hacked, and a stealth is doing it, well, it doesn't take a genius to kill him. Spray the air around the console, goodbye stealth!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion