SciFi to bring back BattleStar Galactica, and they RUINED IT ALL READY - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: /me huggles you
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2003-07-19, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Angry SciFi to bring back BattleStar Galactica, and they RUINED IT ALL READY

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/cast/

Check out the people playing the parts of beloved Appolo Starbuck and Boomer....

Sigh, Starbuck was the BEST character on the series, now he is UTTERLY RUINED. WTF were they thinking?
Old 2003-07-19, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Old 2003-07-19, 01:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Thumbs down

Mr. V, please tell me you're not a Battelstar Galactica fan /wince

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-07-19, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

I loved the original it was great fun. Starbuck the daring hot rod womanizing gambler being held to duty by Appollo... now this happens to my beloved BSG.

Sigh, the BSG has been trying to get the series back for years, finally it happens and its apparant that its ruined before the word GO.

WTF?
Old 2003-07-19, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

I remember that I used to watch it, but that's about the extent of my memory. I can really remember very little of it, I remember the alien/robot/whatevers' capitol ships looked sort of like hourglasses, and the human fighters looked pretty pathetic.
Old 2003-07-19, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Dude Starbuck and Apollo were the shiznick. I loved that show. Cylons were cool in a dark evil way, Adama was just the man... sigh.
Old 2003-07-19, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Derfud
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I dont follow, was starbuck a man in the original series? Unless it was a womanizing woman who you were referring to as "he" :o.
Old 2003-07-19, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Starbuck was oringinally portayed by Dirk Benadict (Face fromt eh A-Team) as a Gambling, hot shot, pilot who had his way with the ladies. Now he is a she, the series is being "re-imagined" into a... sick joke IMHO of what was a promising if not well done show. BSG could have been Star Trek quality but it had its flaws and didn't quite reach that. There are 10's of thousands of BSG fans pushing for a remake, this is not the remake we wanted.
Old 2003-07-19, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sputty
Banned

Originally posted by MrVicchio
I loved the original it was great fun. Starbuck the daring hot rod womanizing gambler being held to duty by Appollo... now this happens to my beloved BSG.

Sigh, the BSG has been trying to get the series back for years, finally it happens and its apparant that its ruined before the word GO.

WTF?
It was good except for that robot dog. That was just scary. Also, you expect any of that in sci-fi now?
Old 2003-07-19, 04:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Well, I think I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the remake. Dune was done excellently as opposed to the Dune done in the 80s. I admit that I'm one of the 10,000 ppl who loved watching BattleStar Galactica. I was part of the fan club and even had an Alpha-bits Colonial Viper console. You had these funky cards you'd slide down a red cellophane envelope that revealed targets you "shot" at.

Ok, back in those days Atari was just coming out. We children of that time had to rely heavily on our imaginations. Something I don't see a lot of in the youth of today.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2003-07-19, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

I can tell you that from what I have read, and from the uproar in the BSG community....

Edward James Olmos himself flat out said at a rpess conferance:

"If youare a fan of the original series, DO NOT WATCH THIS ONE"
Old 2003-07-19, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Speaking of unusual promotional moves, we bring you Edward James Olmos, always a guy who says what's on his mind, who just about gave Sci Fi Channel President Bonnie Hammer a stroke.

Olmos will star as Commander Adama in the Sci Fi Channel's December miniseries "Battlestar Galactica," and during the news conference he was expansive and smart. Then, as it was winding down, he had a final point.

"I must say one thing and I will say this very clearly," Olmos told reporters. "If you are a real staunch fan of the original 'Battlestar Galactica,' don't watch this."

Hammer tried to change the subject. "Well, uh," she said, "my hope ..."

"The reality is not the reality of the original," Olmos continued. "Not only because of Starbuck (who's played this time by a woman, Katee Sackhoff), but because we really don't stand true to the kind of characters that were built around the original."

Olmos said he knows how loyal the fans are to the first series from the 1970s.

"There are tens of thousands of people," he said, "who've written to each other for 25 years over a program that is not on the air and is not being rerun. They didn't want this at all."

Hammer looked sick.

Olmos went on: "I want to give them the opportunity to not break their television sets, so I'm telling them straightforward, 'Please don't watch this program.' Buy yourself the new DVD they're putting out of the old episodes, and when we come on, just put that one in. Don't watch because it will hurt."

"Kill me now," said Hammer.

http://www.sacticket.com/tv_radio/st...-7984418c.html
Old 2003-07-19, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
NightWalker XI
Colonel

BSG was good for tis time, the bad thing about it was Starbuck and Appolo's helmets...and the other pilots helmets for that matter, the lighting thing on them looks like them lights you put on your house during christmas time...lol
Old 2003-07-19, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sputty
Banned

Originally posted by MrVicchio
I can tell you that from what I have read, and from the uproar in the BSG community....

Edward James Olmos himself flat out said at a rpess conferance:

"If youare a fan of the original series, DO NOT WATCH THIS ONE"

Owned
Old 2003-07-19, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Skullhead
Corporal

I'm a fan of the origional Battlestar series (Not the $*@($&@ stupid 2nd season were they found earth and all that hippy crap in the show).

I will watch the new show; but most of the time remakes really suck. The problem is that they will not have a regular show afterwords to continue the stuff. Plus not to mention that the new show will have a completely different storyline from the origional in the typical fasion of "Humans Create Robots, RObots Rebel, Robots leave/are expelled, Humans scared of technology (Cira 1960's technology is what you will see (thats what they say)), Robots return and attack humans." Blah blah blah....

Lets see here, From what I've read about the new series, its going to be a "darker" show from the origional. Basically its going to have some things that weren't in the origional at all.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge