QA Rant. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Eating modems alive since 2003.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-07-20, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

QA Rant.

I usually don�t rant, but this time I am pissed off. We have another patch, another round of bugs. When we first heard of the test server I figured we would be done with this. This patch was the first one extensively tested on the test server, for a few weeks before it was released. So what happened? The team needs to figure out these issues, its things like this that cause people to cancel their subscription. Who the f wants to deal with more bugs every patch? I defend the team 90% of the time because I know how much of a pain this stuff is. I am in the computer industry, computers suck.

Here is the problem, IMO. This patch was tested extensively. What was different in testing than on the normal servers? It's plainly obvious the testers and CSR's are there. What are they doing? They are cheating at every chance, doing things like laying spitfires inside, handing out EXP, etc etc etc, just search this forum and you will find plenty of evidence and screens to prove it. Does this happen on the live servers? It sure has hell doesn�t.. so why are we using it on the test server. There is a new bug making it so that you can�t fill up a base with an ANT. hmmm.. well according to the testers there were never any ANT runs in testing.. why? Because the CSR's filled up the base with dev commands, this to me is unacceptable, if they want a test server, lets test it using real live conditions. Not a bunch of god mode CSR's running around planting mines and turrets inside. Creating vanguards, galaxies from thin air just because they can.

If they don�t start getting their act together this game will die. Not because the game sucks, but because of the shotty QA. People just simply don�t want to be a tester on a live server. They want to be a tester on the TEST server.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-07-20, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

Agreed.

IMO, they need TSR's instead of CSR's on the test server (if anyone at all... I'd rather they stay off the server.)
Old 2003-07-20, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ouroboros
Contributor
Major

Agreed.
Old 2003-07-20, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Asmodeus
Private

So very true Hamma.
Old 2003-07-20, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
THrONeBeaST
Sexy Beast

Agreed and this is why i been thinking about not playing anymore untill they figure all this stuff out .

Dragonwolves - Recruting Officer

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
Old 2003-07-20, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I thought about that too, how can they fix stuff on Emerald, Konried etc. if they're playing on different rules? (Planting mines inside, handing out xp, all what Hamma said) I always thought that it could cause problems. Hamma, I am a computer tech in the making, and after taking a few years worth of classes. I agree, computers suck. (Until I bought Planetside)
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2003-07-20, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
fpmoose
Private

Agreed 100%. I do IT work as well (nothing as neat as games, sadly) and it looks to me like there's some pretty sloppy testing methodology going on. Take the "physics engine" changes. If they didn't actually want to alter the performance of vehicles, then when they upgraded the Karma engine, they should've done before-and-after testing of turning, acceleration, etc. to make sure nothing got changed. Instead, lots of things changed. So it makes it look like they wanted to nerf the Marauder, for example, when they didn't. Or maybe they did. I don't know at this point, y'know?

It looks to me like they'd decided on the entire feature set before they even put it on the beta server. People complained about the implementation of medic/engineer icons, the vehicle handling, and of course the whole Jackhammer/Lasher/MCG kerfuffle. There's no indication that any of the posts that people made ever really got paid attention to, except if an actual show-stopping bug was reported. Which is their right, of course, but why ask for feedback threads in the first place if you aren't going to read or acknowledge them?

The PS dev team does a pretty darn good job in general but I don't think this is one of their more shining moments.
Old 2003-07-20, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Dear SOE: qa pwnt.
Old 2003-07-20, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
IDgaf
Sergeant

I agree, Hamma.

These people seem determined to fuck up a game people are willing to pay to play.

Odd.
Old 2003-07-20, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
00AgentDuck
Sergeant Major

Very odd
Old 2003-07-20, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
FzzyNoNoseChimp

Indeed

Old 2003-07-20, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sleepwalker
Staff Sergeant

*nods sagely*

And i'm all out of ass.
Old 2003-07-20, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Cease
First Sergeant

This patch was tested extensively.

Was this patched tested extensively? I know the HA changes have been on test for a while. But what about all these "bug" fixes? I mean they did the playtest on the 17th to try and figure out the tubes/door issues. According to Sporkfire, on the 19th, they were still hammering out issues that came up on the Playtest. The patch came in on the 20th. 3 days? How long as the new physics engine been in place on the test server?

I dunno, doesnt sounds like it was tested all that extensively to me.
Old 2003-07-20, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

This reminds me so much of rants written by various Bards in EQ, because VI/SOE fucked them over with bugs every other patch

You've got a point Hamma, but after 2 years experience in dealing with SoE all I can say is...well...get used to it I guess

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-07-20, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

You guys know my normal bitches and what not about this game, but this is the kinda of shit, that really fucks the community over, not just sets off my hair trigger.

I haven't played in over a week. The devs say they know the reasons why, but they don't seem dedicated to fix them. They say they are, but we all know that Spork is king of the spin. I really don't trust these guys anymore. I want to, cause I've personally talked with some of them. It seems like someone is making these guys put out shit work. They want to do well, and it seems like either they don't have the time to do so, or it's just not the same fucking guys.

People always told me they wouldn't play PS cause it was Pay to Play: I argued with them that this game was different, vehicles, constant updates, and a full full time dev team (believe it or not, I'm really just a devil's advocate here on PSU, I *DO* love PS). However, these guys seem like they are trying to prove my buddies right.

I'm not a programmer, but from everything I've gathered for people who are programmers, PS suffers from bullshit coding and sloppy work. I'm not paying $13 a month for bullshit coding and sloppy work.

Plus I'm getting really sick of hearing Spork deny there was a stealth nerf (when there obviously was) under the auspices of "Bringing the XXX in line with it's intended parameters". Funny how no one know's wtf those parameters were.

We need to start a fucking keep PS alive drive to get these guys motivated or to get the interns away from the computers.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion