Posted this in Beta forums - Engineer & Doors - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: *in AMS* I believe i can fly!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-06, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Trebor95
First Sergeant

Posted this in Beta forums - Engineer & Doors

I was thinking, what if you gave advanced engineers at battle rank 10+ the ability to use the Nano Dispenser to form a temporary barricade with the doors?I'm thinking along the lines of Aliens, where they weld the doors shut to form a perimiter? I know it souds stupid but I was thinking, say you figure your base is being overrun? maybe your squad and a majority of other defenders withdraw inside the facility.

Then if you have a high ranked engineer he could undertake the VERY risky job of trying to weld/lock the doors which would not allow it to be hacked normally but another enginner (normal? or a higher ranking hacker) could then proceed slowly to unlock the door (probably having a different animation like sparks flying (on both sides of the door, can you imagine waiting in the corridors/halways in a base and suddenly seeing sparks coming from a door you recently welded/locked and wondering how many people would be there?) , this would give the defenders time to form a perimeter inside and to set up positions? And perhaps stealthers would have to try and test different routes that the defenders maybe overlooked.

I for one would welcome the advantage it may give the defenders.
Any thoughts?
Old 2003-05-06, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Perhaps the engineer actually has to buy the welder and it takes up a good chunk of his inventory. This way he can't run around and seal up all doors too easily. Also, make it so that the door seal can be broken with normal weapons fire. This way if the enemy doesn't have an engineer with them they have some means of getting thru. Another engineer would just be able to cut thru a lot faster with his torch.

Overall great idea!
Old 2003-05-06, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Trebor95
First Sergeant

Originally posted by gonnagetyou
Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Perhaps the engineer actually has to buy the welder and it takes up a good chunk of his inventory. This way he can't run around and seal up all doors too easily. Also, make it so that the door seal can be broken with normal weapons fire. This way if the enemy doesn't have an engineer with them they have some means of getting thru. Another engineer would just be able to cut thru a lot faster with his torch.

Overall great idea!
wow cool ideas there though - I really like the welder idea (he could quickly pick one up running back to the interior of the base)

Old 2003-05-06, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
CDaws
Second Lieutenant

It's a nice idea but, theres one big prob. Ask yourself this. Would you want to be stuck in the spawn room of a base for a while with no exit while the other team caps the base all the while flooding the halls with all the troops they can? It would be a tk nightmare in that spawn room after the doors opened back up with everyone who spawned there.
Old 2003-05-06, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
�io
Lieutenant General

Well you don't have to weld every door in the base Ranger, you could simply weld the CC doors to prevents the non engy infils from getting in and weld the lower level exits.

I really like the idea, i doubt it will ever happen though. And they would have to make sure you can only weld doors if your base is possibly under attack(in other words if it can be hacked via lattice) and if base gets hacked all the welded doors would be opened.

If they added this and hacking turrets capability i would die a happy engy/hacker.
Old 2003-05-06, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
InuYasha
Corporal

I actually like this idea, though I think it would need to be restricted to a very few doors, maybe exterior doors only. Also, is hacking a door the only way to open it, or could a tank blast a door right off its hinges with the Big Gun?

InuYasha
Envisioning enemies flattened by flying doors
Old 2003-05-06, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
CDaws
Second Lieutenant

I know you wouldn't have to weld every door but, it was more of an exploit point in my other post. Limited to a few doors would still be an exploit if you had a lot of engies at a base then it would be full lock out. A better idea for the eng certs would be a S.A.M. turret or an AV turret instead of just the bullet ones they have now. ATM Inu the only way to open a locked door is to use a REK to hack it. I still like the idea, with a lot of tweeking it could be implamented.

Last edited by CDaws; 2003-05-06 at 06:03 PM.
Old 2003-05-06, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lanizer

It would own if I could seal my squadmate from the outside world forever when I'm their only engy.
Old 2003-05-06, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
InuYasha
Corporal

Wow, those must be some incredible doors, I want some for my apartment. Oh well, maybe it's something that might come later. Maybe some det charges like in TFC would be neat, creat your own temporary doors which are automatically repaired by the base over time.

InuYasha
I just like the idea of having more than one way to get through a door...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion