PDA

View Full Version : registered ram.

Ait'al
2004-02-02, 05:04 PM
Can you OVerclock Registered ram. If so how, in general terms, if there is any difference form unregistered. And if "not" what way could you do it theoretically?

GreyFox
2004-02-02, 05:22 PM
I don't think it would be worth it.

Rbstr
2004-02-02, 05:45 PM
Why the hell would you want registered ram unless you were getting an Athlon 64 FX?

Registered ram takes a performance hit because the EEC takes clock cycles.

Ait'al
2004-02-02, 06:52 PM
Corsair just brought out its twinx 2048 4000. Im waiting for the pro first but i was considering getting registered for the 4 gigs or something. Or not. either way can you OC it.

Rbstr
2004-02-02, 08:31 PM
Like I said why the hell would you want registered? It has nothing to do with the amount of memory, it just means it has EEC.

You also need a 875p Mobo to use it(if going p4)

Cyanide
2004-02-02, 09:23 PM
Yes, you could OC it. You'd oc it just the same as you OC normal ram. It would be pointless though. The only reason for anything but a system critical server to have ECC ram is for the sole purpose of wasting money. It will run hotter and be slower than non-ECC ram, and you will not benefit from it AT ALL.

Rbstr
2004-02-02, 10:04 PM
Yes, you could OC it. You'd oc it just the same as you OC normal ram. It would be pointless though. The only reason for anything but a system critical server to have ECC ram is for the sole purpose of wasting money. It will run hotter and be slower than non-ECC ram, and you will not benefit from it AT ALL.

Exactaly!

Ait'al
2004-02-02, 10:36 PM
I though ECC and registered were two different things. Or do they ECC all the new registerd stuff.

martyr
2004-02-02, 10:43 PM
Q: What are the differences between registered/buffered/unbuffered memory modules?
A: Registered modules have additional registers, which delay all addressess transferred to the module by one cycle. This is done to decouple the ram chips from the memory bus, so a module can have more chips (the bus load will not increase if more ram chips are present). Because of that, registered modules are available in higher capacities, but of course you can't use these high capacity modules on a bx-based board.You can recognize registered modules physically by looking at them. If there are one or more (small) chips on them apart from the ram chips, then it is a registered module.
Buffered modules are similar, but instead of registers, they contain buffers, the difference is that a register is clocked, and a buffer is not. EDO and FPM modules can be buffered or unbuffered, and sdram modules can be registered or unbuffered (the term unregistered is sometimes used too).

Q: Do I need registered memory?
A: That depends. If you want to use more than three double-sided modules, it is probably a good idea to use registered memory, because the "capacitive load" on the memory bus can get quite high, and you might experience stability problems. If you use three or less modules, usually registered memory isn't required, and you shouldn't buy it - it is more expensive and slower. Asus Germany recommends to use always registered modules if you use three or more ram modules in boards with the bx chipset. If you run a server however, you probably want to use registered modules - typically you will use all ram slots in those systems, and just for the possibility it might be more stable you might want to spend the extra cash and pay the (small) performance hit.
(Note: some boards with the bx chipset might not support registered memory correctly due to BIOS bugs / board layout, check your manual.)

Q: Can I mix registered memory with "normal" unbuffered memory?
A: No, you can't, the bx chipset doesn't allow that.

Q: Do I need ECC memory?
A: With ECC Dimms, memory errors can be detected (ECC = error checking and correction). The probablity for such errors is quite small, and unless you run a mission-critical machine (i.e. a server of some type), you typically have no reason to use ECC memory. These modules have 9 instead of 8 chips (or 18 instead of 16) and the module is organized as yzMx72 instead of yzMx64.
(Note: some boards with the bx chipset might not support ECC memory correctly due to BIOS bugs / board layout, check your manual.)

Q: Can I mix ECC and non-ECC memory?
A: Yes, you can. But it makes little sense, because the ECC feauture won't get used on the memory which is ECC capable.
You have to keep in mind too that often ECC memory is registered and your non-ECC memory probably not, so look for question "Can I mix registered memory with "normal" unbuffered memory?".

from here (http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/ram_bx_faq.html#Q:_What_are_the_differences_betwee n)

Ait'al
2004-02-02, 10:55 PM
that wasnt what i was asking, or saying. I know what ECC and registered ram is.

martyr
2004-02-02, 11:04 PM
::shrugs:: stating what you are asking or saying would make it easier to help you than just saying what you aren't asking or saying.

Ait'al
2004-02-02, 11:17 PM
Can you OVerclock Registered ram. If so how, in general terms, if there is any difference form unregistered. And if "not" what way could you do it theoretically?Corsair just brought out its twinx 2048 4000. Im waiting for the pro first but i was considering getting registered for the 4 gigs or something. Or not. either way can you OC it. I though ECC and registered were two different things. Or do they ECC all the new registerd stuff.
read it again.

Besides that, i dont want answers from a website. Thats why i asked on a forum.

martyr
2004-02-02, 11:26 PM
well, ah, you don't actually ask a question there, nor do you form any sentences at all (they both lack verbs, although i understand that you mean "thought" and "manufacture... into"); but i'll refrain from [trying to] provide help if you'd prefer.

meanwhile,

the overclocking question has been answered, so i didn't/won't address that.
the "registered vs unregistered" question is answered in the info i posted for you, like it or not. as for ECC and Registered ram: registered ram has ECC, unregistered ram can have ECC. they are indeed different things. this too is addressed in the above post, but in a different context.

NoSurrender
2004-02-02, 11:30 PM
EEC=(laymens terms) also called parity right? Basicaly it checks to see if theres a error with the ram or if its missing bits. This is really used expect in registered because of the fact that there are not many errors nowadays. WHY WOULD U WANT 4 Gigs of RAM??
[edit] edited by myself because it was appriate for aitial but not the forums[edit]

Ait'al
2004-02-02, 11:34 PM
I wasnt asking wether or not to get any. i was just saying i was considering it. the only other thing i was going to ask was wether the overclocking is less affective outside of the performance difference between REg and unReg. :confused:

EEC=(laymens terms) also called parity right? Basicaly it checks to see if theres a error with the ram or if its missing bits. This is really used expect in registered because of the fact that there are not many errors nowadays. WHY WOULD U WANT 4 Gigs of RAM??
[edit] edited by myself because it was appriate for aitial but not the forums[edit]
It uses the same thing as a parity on the software side of it. Its the same concept with one parity bit for checking for physical errors. Unless ive gotten something confused again. 8\ which could be at the moment. But like martyrs thing said when you get up to 4 chips its accessing so much more shit than its usually does you can have errors. And i may get 4 gigs in 4 chips. And im building a computer for the next few years and i want one pre-pcix, the reasons for im not getting into again. 8)

Speaking of which, do htey make ram with something like a 12 bit parity? Not asking for any reason just out of curiosity. Do they do that with rdram?

Edit: Does anyone know a reference to something that explains memory moment by moment. I need something that explains down to memery commands and memory addresses etc. Down to the tiniest thing including cas and stuff, with stuff like hex and oct and old memory types. Where it goes over every action and the design of ram, even beyond what i just mentioned. Google is pathetic and i cant stand it. :rolleyes: I need a refresher bad! Im starting to remember shit and am finnally puting stuff back together in my head.

Edit#2: The new ram is 3200 not 4000, sorry! ^^

And the ram im getting is cas 3 so how much difference will a few more cycles make? Or is it more than im thinking?

Daleon
2004-02-03, 10:18 AM
Well if its ECC or Registered... its normally fairly good quality memory chips. So yes you can OC them. How much all depends though just like it does with normal memory. You are pretty much defeating the purpose of it though by even trying to OC it. If you OC to much your going to get errors, doesn't matter if its ECC or not. And I still seriously doubt it will clock anywere near as high as high performance memory.

Rbstr
2004-02-03, 05:24 PM
And the ram im getting is cas 3 so how much difference will a few more cycles make? Or is it more than im thinking?

Yes it will make some difference, as we all have told you all along bigger chips = longer latencies. You don't need it ait why waste money(assuming you will EVER buy any of this stuff)?

Cyanide
2004-02-03, 09:32 PM
I don't know if there's just one single white paper that explains all the intracecies of RAM, especially all the different types. You'll probably have to piece the info together from multiple sources, like the rest of us do. If google isn't working for you try www.surfwax.com. It searches 3 tiers deep where as google only searches the first tier of a site's directory structure. A little slower than google, but if you've got broadband and don't have A.D.D it's better than google (yes, i know, ban me :D).