PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genre
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-09, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #324
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genr

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
The in game and website stat pages have to include kills/deaths/ratio. But I'm all for being able to change the HUD display to promote objective based gameplay. How would you solve the difficulty in having tactical gameplay displayed on the HUD? What sorts of mechanics can be created to give these abstract notions a visual representation?
They don't have to include those things. They could include a set of stats that a player choses. It might always show somethign like "score" since its universal, but the rest of the stats, revives, captures, territories, kills, deaths, defenses, etc shoudl be in a big menu of choices that the game is always tracking.

You as a player could view these for yourself, and then select a subset that appear on your character screen and that appear on the website.

The ones other people see are the ones you chose to make visible.

The ones that appear on your tracking HUD (if they exist there) are the ones you chose to put there.

You decide what you care about. You decide what accomplishments are advertised to others who view your profile.

There are no defaults. If you haven't chosen a stat, there's a button that says "Choose a favorite stat" - you click it and it brings up that big menu. Select one from menu, now it displays. If you never set your defaults, you never see any stats (and nobody else does either).

Simple solution that gives the player complete control.

No playstyle is encouraged that the player didn't choose himself.

I don't see how anyone could really argue with that. It's a good design. Maybe this thread has gotten too long and diluted for that message to come clear. I'll extract out this design and put it in the idea vault or something like that.