NC underground cities - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: if it ain't planetside, its crap!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-11, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Artimus
Master Sergeant

NC underground cities

http://www.planetside2.com/news/2012-10loreorigin

Not sure if out was discussed can't search on my phone but If you go down to the 10th or 11th paragraph they mention NC building underground cities. If there in game my guess is that it will be the uncap. territory. Any thoughts?
Old 2012-05-11, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Re: NC underground cities

I believe I read somewhere there were some "caves" in PS1 but were severely underpopulated and won't be making reappearance in PS2.
Old 2012-05-11, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NCLynx
Major

Keep in mind some bases will be built into the side of a mountain etc that's what I'm assuming this would be,

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-11, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

I think it would be sweet to have underground cities.

To me, it fits with the lore, and it would be purely urban combat (for realz this tiem).

The caves in PS1 sucked, but this actually makes waaaay more sense to add. Plus, if they made a seemless transition between continents and underground cities...that would be awesome.
Old 2012-05-12, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
I believe I read somewhere there were some "caves" in PS1 but were severely underpopulated and won't be making reappearance in PS2.
The caves in PS1 were kind of strange, and they also served to further dilute already low populations after a while. They just weren't well thought out or integrated into the game.

Having one or two underground environments could be cool if done well though. I hate how some people take something like BFR's and try to condemn an entire concept because one implementation failed.

Not saying I'm into adding mechs into the game, but (non Core Combat style) caves could be interesting.
Old 2012-05-12, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
The caves in PS1 were kind of strange, and they also served to further dilute already low populations after a while. They just weren't well thought out or integrated into the game.

Having one or two underground environments could be cool if done well though. I hate how some people take something like BFR's and try to condemn an entire concept because one implementation failed.

Not saying I'm into adding mechs into the game, but (non Core Combat style) caves could be interesting.
Funny you just said something I've always thought and never really expressed. NO ONE wants BFRs in PS2 because they were horrible in PS1 but that has nothing to do with how a mech could work in PS2, literally nothing. If people are going to have a problem with BFRs in Planetside 2 the only valid reason is they don't like the idea of Mechs, but pretty much everyone doesn't want them because of "what they were" in the last game. Same thing goes for the caves. This line of thinking has always frustrated me.

(still dont want BFRs, but only because I don't like the idea of a mech)

On topic: I don't think we will see specifically the NC underground cities mentioned in these comics only because it's not really a military area.

I could imagine them adding areas to the game that are underground battlegrounds but it wouldn't be empire specific, just capturable territory underground.

I do think however it would be absolutely AWESOME if each empires foothold had a unique style to it like NC is in caves, TR military compound, VS..... Cosmic Bowling alley???
Old 2012-05-12, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Caves were epic in PS1. But it all depended on if you knew how the zip-lines worked.
Old 2012-05-13, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
Caves were epic in PS1. But it all depended on if you knew how the zip-lines worked.
Also if you loved flying a reaver in the tight environments

I had a blast in the caves, but too bad that even at CC's launch there were only a few good battles now and then. I only really remember 3 good ones, although I didn't go down there that often after a while.

Speaking of mechs, I actually was in favor of adding them to PS1, because I was a huge MechWarrior fan at the time, and young and foolish to boot. I wasn't very vocal about it though, so I feel like I only share in a small portion of the blame for BFR's being added and no portion of the blame for their terrible implementation.

I think mechs still could be done well in Planetside, but it's not something I care deeply about anymore, and I know it would be a bitch to balance them and make them fill a unique niche, so I'd rather skip it.

I feel like BFR's have a lot more stigma than Core Combat anyways, so I feel like a really good cave environment would go over a lot better than a mech, no matter how awesome and well balanced the mech was.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-14, 02:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I really like the idea of subterranean areas sprinkled across the map. Not like the Caves of PS1 but bunkers, tunnel systems, trenches, caves in the side of a cliff, etc.

I'm thinking of the Searhus crater and imagining tunnel networks in the cliff face that might allow infantry to completely scale the side of the mountain while fighting in narrow tunnels and little supply depots/bunkers, etc. They could have some fortified positions on the side of the crater that when manned with infantry help provide anti-air and anti-tank coverage of the area below, as well as provide traversal up the mountain. Put a spawn point in there and you have a really cool infantry fighting territory with strategic value over the facility below if you can control it.

We saw a bridge in a few screenshots recently and it looks like it's high up on some cliffs crossing a large canyon. Would be cool if the cliff face next to the bridge had bunkers and tunnels, and a way for infantry to climb up to capture that bridge from below and not be complete sitting ducks while they do it.

I'm holding out for Indar to have a lot of little tunnels and bunkers for infantry to dig in and make fighting over territory meaningful. Back in the early reveals of PS2 they mentioned having a lot more vertical gameplay, and apart from hills and cliffs, tunnels and subterranean areas are certainly one way to get more vertical gameplay into an area.

I'm hoping they deliver on that, but I also hope they don't over-do it. Some subterranean areas could make for great tactical objectives (and perhaps even territory capture points), but you don't want that to be everywhere.

Esamir was described as being an urban wasteland with a lot of ruins, that could be a great way to get some vertical gameplay and also bunkers/tunnels/sewers in various locations. A ruined city makes for a great combat zone for all types of vehicles. I loved the concept for BF3's Metro map, be neat to have places like that in Esamir, though maybe not as big.
Old 2012-05-14, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

I would love to see the caves(appearence wise not system)brought back.In all honesty I thought they were some of the better looking places in Planetside.Just get rid of the zip lines and I'd be good.
Old 2012-05-14, 04:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Canaris
Contributor
General

you sure they didn't mean sewers? cos that's where I always pictured the NC rats living

I also hope the underground bases are more urban style than cave style from PS1, hated Core Combat as much as BFRs

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-05-14, 04:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
ringring
Contributor
General

Caves were epic and I'd have to disagree that they weren't integrated into the game well.

Owning a cave gave 'benefits' equivalent to resources in ps2 terms.
A Cave, if you owned it would give hackable links to enemy owned continents.
Because of the benefits and because of the links caves enhanced the meta game.

I'd like to see similar in ps2, not necessarily implemented in the same way.
Old 2012-05-14, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Caves were epic and I'd have to disagree that they weren't integrated into the game well.

Owning a cave gave 'benefits' equivalent to resources in ps2 terms.
A Cave, if you owned it would give hackable links to enemy owned continents.
Because of the benefits and because of the links caves enhanced the meta game.
This is factually correct, but is a chicken and egg situation. IIRC, the benefits came after the player-base decided en masse they didn't enjoy fighting in the caves and SOE got a bit desperate trying to coax us in.

There are exceptions to every rule, and some peeps did/do enjoy the caves, but the majority of the player base voted with their feet. Mainly because the caves were not well integrated with the rest of the game imo.
Old 2012-05-14, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
This is factually correct, but is a chicken and egg situation. IIRC, the benefits came after the player-base decided en masse they didn't enjoy fighting in the caves and SOE got a bit desperate trying to coax us in.

There are exceptions to every rule, and some peeps did/do enjoy the caves, but the majority of the player base voted with their feet. Mainly because the caves were not well integrated with the rest of the game imo.
I was one of those who did go regularly into the caves and thoroughly enjoying the mostly infantry based fighting.

I don't know what you mean when you say 'not well integrated with the rest of the game'. To me it is very integrated. The outcome of the underground battle has a major effect on the topside battle.

It is important to hold the caves; by doing so you deny hackable links to the enemy and preserve your own lins to them. If you're TR and NC has a cave link to Naum you are forever opening Hossin on the map and checking for hotspots. Even more if (like I have done recently) before joining the main fight you set all your CE on Naum and then bind at Voltan, all the better to generate hotspots if enemy are present and then to quickly respond.

This is the kind of thing I would hope PS2 can accomodate. Maybe not precisely like this but something that means every now and then you have to take your eyes away from your gunsight and look at the wider picture.

ps It does sound like 'underground cities are not in current plans so if they do happen it won't be for a while.

Last edited by ringring; 2012-05-14 at 08:06 AM.
Old 2012-05-14, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
MooK
Staff Sergeant

Underground cities would be perfect for an NC sanctuary =p.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion