Tank balance thread (because magrider) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma and teh pimp hat! Oh YEAH!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Are any tanks underpowered?
None, Tanks seem pretty faily balanced with tradeoffs 31 72.09%
The Vanguard seems weak to me 1 2.33%
The Prowler is most underpowered, imo 6 13.95%
The Magrider is going to die 8/10 times 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-07, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Synapse
First Sergeant

Tank balance thread (because magrider)

I'm of the opinion that the Vanu magrider is seriously weak compared to the other tanks.

Driving over water might be a great advantage except that so far there is no bridge combat anywhere to be seen.

I also think that side strafing to avoid tank shells seems like literally trying to dodge a bullet as a MAX. No way you're going to do it. The vanu doesn't really have an advantage then, it's slower than TR, and has the weakest armor and gun damage of the three.

However instead of making a magrider thread I'm making a tank balance thread. Please vote for whichever tank you think is weakest (or if you think tanks are well balanced)
Old 2012-06-07, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Razicator
First Sergeant

Re: Tank balance thread (because magrider)

There's a reason why in PS1 magriders were the best tanks in the hands of higher skilled people. The nonexistent arc on the shots, coupled with strafing and a higher elevation, meant that magriders are the snipers of tanks, except with high damaging high explosive shells. Magriders camping vehicle exits from hills meant no ground or air vehicles.

Just don't go 1v1 a vanguard at 10 meters, and you should do fine.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Aurmanite
Captain

Actually, the TR tank has the weakest armor.

This is a perfectly reasonable thread based upon the amount of time we've had to play the game.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
chunkeymonkey
Private

Really I can't comment on this because none of us (except the lucky ones at E3) have experienced a direct fight between a magrider - NC or TR tank. We can judge the balance when people are allowed into beta.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

Amerish has water iirc, but yeah, you won't dodge with strafing. I couldn't get my friend to understand that, lol.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Haro
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
I'm of the opinion that the Vanu magrider is seriously weak compared to the other tanks.

Driving over water might be a great advantage except that so far there is no bridge combat anywhere to be seen.

I also think that side strafing to avoid tank shells seems like literally trying to dodge a bullet as a MAX. No way you're going to do it. The vanu doesn't really have an advantage then, it's slower than TR, and has the weakest armor and gun damage of the three.

However instead of making a magrider thread I'm making a tank balance thread. Please vote for whichever tank you think is weakest (or if you think tanks are well balanced)
It's hard to tell, but the magriders seemed to have their fair share of success in the demo. Not really sure where you are getting the idea that they have the least armor or the weakest weapon (fairly certain the low weapon strength will go to TR.) Not to mention, I wouldn't count out the value of strafing. You may not be dodging rounds, but for me the magrider control scheme seems easiest, and you could potentially use its abilities to get into better positions, while I think many tank drivers will need time to reconcile a more complicated method of driving while also rotating the turret.

Way too early to really tell though, but historically, VS has always been middle of the road with unusual bonuses.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Synapse
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
Actually, the TR tank has the weakest armor.

This is a perfectly reasonable thread based upon the amount of time we've had to play the game.
News to me, I remember the TR being middle in terms of armor.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
bullet
First Sergeant

I said this in another thread, its not so much about the balance 1v1, its how they do in specific situations against eachother. Like Razicator said when at close quarters, a Vanguard will probably win. Give the magrider some range or some rivers and the magrider will probably win.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Synapse View Post

Urban combat strafing is an advantage when trying to avoid damage too. Only the magrider can do that well and precisely.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Virulence
Sergeant

From what I've seen, all of the tanks seem a little too squishy at the moment.
While the union makes us strong.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Xyntech
Brigadier General

It hasn't seemed ridiculously out of balance in the streams, so I think I'm going to have to test it myself before I can declare balance or imbalance.

Also remember that they haven't really even focused on balance very much at this point. So if they got the balance right on the 3 tanks right off the bat, it's mostly just luck.

I think the alternate styles will be quite capable of being balanced though. That part doesn't worry me too much.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Mag has a big advantage that I didn't see used in the demo - strafing and always keeping strongest armor towards the threat

In a tank vs tank situation, the mag's strong front armor is always facing, meanwhile they can strafe to the sides for evasive action, or simply circle-strafe the other tank.

The terrain of the demo didn't seem particularly well suited for evasive tank maneuvers. All the tanks were sort of stuck on narrow roads in little canyons so not a lot of maneuverability for any of them.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Tank balance thread: I haven't seen a lot of secondary gunners for ground vehicles in TB's 3 day footage.

Gameplay seems to fast paced (tanks blow up on a whim) for people to even bother manning secondary guns. It could also have been due to the demo set-up. Damage from walls/rocks/trees at low speed is also ridiculously high for ground vehicles. Very alpha stuff. It made me think about the lightning bug from PS1 which was amusingly irritating.

The air and MAX gameplay though:
Old 2012-06-07, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

I think the magrider having its forward armor constantly facing the enemy is a big advantage, especially if it strafes around the enemy and hits them in the weak rear armor.
Old 2012-06-07, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Virulence View Post
From what I've seen, all of the tanks seem a little too squishy at the moment.
This
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion