Planetside's Future.. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Click to choose a spawnlocation
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-02-20, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Xaine
Major

Planetside's Future..

EDIT: Spelling mistake in the title, i'm a cool bean.

Given how little time (comparatively) it took SOE to get Planetside 2 to go from Alpha, to Beta, to launch ready. We've seen a rather substantial lack of content over the past few months.

Almost 5 months from the launch of the game, and what has actually been added?

A few new weapons, some tunnels.

They've been fixing bugs and balancing things, and God knows it was needed. However, thats not 'content' and shouldn't be treated as such.

Fixing bugs and balancing things, cleaning up stuff that really should have been squared away before launch, slapping a 'content' sticker on it and suggesting we should be grateful for it is all rather depressing.

The game wasn't exactly feature complete when it launched, we're missing rather a lot of vehicles, weapons, meaningful reasons to fight, continents... the list goes on.

I think we all understand that SoE aren't supermen, but the 6 month road map actually left my jaw hanging open.

I was expecting to see new continents, new vehicles, maybe even sea combat, player made bases... at least one of these.

Not shit like 'Oh yeah, if you're lucky, maybe you can move you Prowler from Indar to Esamir without having to spawn a new one' or 'Maybe, if you're lucky, we might make the MAX worth spawning'

These are 6 month goals? What?

I don't know if all the developer power has moved away from Planetside to work on Everquest 3 or whatever, but at least get some of the major issues fixed before you pull the plug on the game.

All the promises that were made before launch about player made bases, more vehicles, sea combat etc... When exactly are we expecting to see this?

If the road map is anything to go by, 2015?

You're already having to merge servers less than 5 months after your game came out, maybe if you actually paid it some attention and fixed some of the MASSIVE fucking issues plaguing your game more people would be playing it. Cheating is pretty obvious, and after over 50+ people report the guy, nothing happens, (oh yeah, we do remember when you said you'd have a handle on that. Good job, glad that worked out) a proper meta-game, a resource system that actually means something.

This just seems to be classic SOE. You make a good game, give it just enough life to crawl, with enough promise and hope to make it something great and/or tag people along. Then slowly let it die, sucking all the money you can out of it.

I'd say i'm surprised, but I'm not.

SOE are getting rather efficient at letting good games die.
Old 2013-02-20, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rolfski
Major

Re: Planetside's Future..

I'm not sure what you where expecting but I'm not exactly under the impression that these guys are sitting idle over there. Tbh, if they would release even half of their road map it would be more than I was foreseeing.
Fixing bugs, balances, optimizations and generally polishing up the game I consider as important as releasing flashy new toys that will make you pay even more SC. And on both of these sides they're progressing at reasonable speed imo.
Old 2013-02-20, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I'll admit, PS2 is a bit slower implementing features than I'd like but I'm willing to wait for the good stuff to get developed, fleshed out and unfucked.
All in all, I think this is about where I personally expected this game to be with the exception of the mission system and the mobile app.
I mean, fuck, this IS a free to play game.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-02-20, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
AThreatToYou
Major

They are working hard and the game is improving. That's pretty much the story, or at least as I see it.
Maybe it could improve faster; nothing is ever perfect, no matter how much work we put into it there will be flaws, inadequacies, and complaints.

Personally I find a few key content additions that have come so far to add a lot more to the game than face-value. SMG's meant a lot for the game, and so did AV MANA turrets. I imagine (hope) the ES AV launchers will be the same amount of 'good'. Things like metagame and continent additions require more planning and more code-work, which inevitably means more bugs and more problems to be squashed before it can be let out of the gates.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-02-20 at 10:58 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-02-20, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
EDIT: Spelling mistake in the title, i'm a cool bean.

Given how little time (comparatively) it took SOE to get Planetside 2 to go from Alpha, to Beta, to launch ready. We've seen a rather substantial lack of content over the past few months.

Almost 5 months from the launch of the game, and what has actually been added?

A few new weapons, some tunnels.

They've been fixing bugs and balancing things, and God knows it was needed. However, thats not 'content' and shouldn't be treated as such.

Fixing bugs and balancing things, cleaning up stuff that really should have been squared away before launch, slapping a 'content' sticker on it and suggesting we should be grateful for it is all rather depressing.

The game wasn't exactly feature complete when it launched, we're missing rather a lot of vehicles, weapons, meaningful reasons to fight, continents... the list goes on.

I think we all understand that SoE aren't supermen, but the 6 month road map actually left my jaw hanging open.

I was expecting to see new continents, new vehicles, maybe even sea combat, player made bases... at least one of these.

Not shit like 'Oh yeah, if you're lucky, maybe you can move you Prowler from Indar to Esamir without having to spawn a new one' or 'Maybe, if you're lucky, we might make the MAX worth spawning'

These are 6 month goals? What?

I don't know if all the developer power has moved away from Planetside to work on Everquest 3 or whatever, but at least get some of the major issues fixed before you pull the plug on the game.

All the promises that were made before launch about player made bases, more vehicles, sea combat etc... When exactly are we expecting to see this?

If the road map is anything to go by, 2015?

You're already having to merge servers less than 5 months after your game came out, maybe if you actually paid it some attention and fixed some of the MASSIVE fucking issues plaguing your game more people would be playing it. Cheating is pretty obvious, and after over 50+ people report the guy, nothing happens, (oh yeah, we do remember when you said you'd have a handle on that. Good job, glad that worked out) a proper meta-game, a resource system that actually means something.

This just seems to be classic SOE. You make a good game, give it just enough life to crawl, with enough promise and hope to make it something great and/or tag people along. Then slowly let it die, sucking all the money you can out of it.

I'd say i'm surprised, but I'm not.

SOE are getting rather efficient at letting good games die.
"we're missing rather a lot of vehicles, weapons"
What LOT of vehicles are we missing? Have you seen the number of weapons we have? What LOT of weapons are missing? 2 New continents are coming this year one of them in the next couple of months. What metric are you using to gauge our progress? What other game has been as active as the PS2 team? Compare us to a even larger company with many more devs.. Bf3 for instance. How many updates do you think they've put out in a year? 2 maybe. We've updated every 2-3 weeks. I'm not really sure what you are comparing us to. At the end of it all..... its 9:12 pm on a Wednesday and guess what, I'm still at work with many others.

Stay thirsty my friend
Old 2013-02-20, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Nice summary... It all boils down to the game being released far too early and having far less content than it should have had. So much is missing that would make this game deeper (and I'm not talking about weapons or vehicles, wink at T-Ray). I just hope they set their priorities right and focus on the gameplay and new continents/cross continental warfare, because without a real reason to fight, the eternal 3on3 stalemate can only motivate for so long.

It's a great game and I love it and it's the only one out there that does what it does, but I get sad when I think about the potential of ps2 and see what we have right now. There is a lot to do and even with only 3 or 4 continents they could implement some kind of conquest mode that would allow your battles to be meaningful... I hope they get that.

.sent via phone.
Old 2013-02-21, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Inviso
Private

Wow. I actually feel sorry for T-Ray, Higby, RadarX, and the rest of the hard working Dev team over at SoE that has to read posts by people like this fucktard. (Sorry Hamma)

First off, I want to apologize to Hamma, as he probably isn't going to like this post, but I fully accept any consequences imposed as a result of my language here.

So let us start:

When is the last time we have seen a developer with this level of involvement and communication with the community pushing it in the direction the PLAYERS want it to go? I can't recall one. Some of you may be able to, but it hasn't happened recently.

You know why that is for the most part? Because you get half-wit fucktards like the OP here, who can't even do simple math, and push so much bullshit and hyperbole into their feedback that it is completely useless.

Let's start:

Nov 20th Launch date -> Feb 20th. Oh shit, that's 3 months, not 5. Some dumbfuck can't even do basic math.

Last time I checked, New Continents, Meta expansion, new vehicles. All were on the roadmap. I'd rather it took another month to see and play on rather than having it be some piece of shit DLC that I had to pay for like most recent games by larger publishers. And we all know what I'm talking about here without naming developers.

Your last login date on your character? Oh shit, Over two months ago? Wow, your arguments are relevant and current. You totally know what the fuck you're talking about.

Honestly, nobody here cares about your uneducated opinion. I really hope Hamma closes this up when he sees it, as you aren't even providing real feedback. You're bitching about things other people you ride the shortbus with have been talking about, that also have no basis in fact.

All I have to say is this. In the first days of Tech test, the game was almost completely unplayable compared to how it is now, and it was STILL BETTER than a lot of the games I have played recently.
Old 2013-02-21, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Micro
Sergeant Major

Agreed x1000 with Inviso and T-Ray.
Old 2013-02-21, 01:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Pella
Captain

The game is almost completely different since launch. 2.5Months...

Dont forget. You have had Xmas, And the Devs took a long break to cool down.

OP is an inpatient idiot. And considering your Inpatients you dont even play the game that much to even warrant complaining.

Last edited by Pella; 2013-02-21 at 01:27 AM.
Old 2013-02-21, 01:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Mordelicius
Major

A bit of an understatement that they've only added the tunnels and some weaps.

- New Spawn Room
- Balancing the factions
- Balancing the units
- New dynamic XP system
- Fixing the maps and terrain
- Updating the UI
- Continual Optimisations
- Fixing bugs

It's essential they nail down the core balance of factions and units within the game first. It's fairly pointless if they keep adding stuff if it's just broken and unbalanced.

- They've previewed new vehicles
- They've previewed more weapons
- They've previewed that-jaw dropping carrier
- New continents soon and continent locking (hopefully their intro to a deeper metagame)

It's in the Roadmap page in the official PS2 site: http://www.planetside2.com/roadmap
Old 2013-02-21, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
The game is almost completely different since launch. 2.5Months...

Dont forget. You have had Xmas, And the Devs took a long break to cool down.

OP is an inpatient idiot. And considering your Inpatients you dont even play the game that much to even warrant complaining.
There are a lot of "impatient idiots" out there including me. Look at the population drop of the last months. For alot of people the game missed content, mechanics and polishing. It still do.

How long do you think the customers will wait for a proper product? Till their fabulous 5 year plan is implemented?
Old 2013-02-21, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Stanis
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
"we're missing rather a lot of vehicles, weapons"
What LOT of vehicles are we missing? Have you seen the number of weapons we have? What LOT of weapons are missing? 2 New continents are coming this year one of them in the next couple of months. What metric are you using to gauge our progress? What other game has been as active as the PS2 team? Compare us to a even larger company with many more devs.. Bf3 for instance. How many updates do you think they've put out in a year? 2 maybe. We've updated every 2-3 weeks. I'm not really sure what you are comparing us to. At the end of it all..... its 9:12 pm on a Wednesday and guess what, I'm still at work with many others.

Stay thirsty my friend
2 New continents this year.
Only 2 ?

I was hoping at some point we'd kick into high gear on continent design and get one every other month until we have at least 10!
Old 2013-02-21, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Nur
Sergeant

The population drop is due mainly of curious people that tried PS2 thinking it was the "new mmorpg f2p to be tested and farmed jut before quitting for another"

I am happy that a lot of mmorpg players are quitting, I only want fps people and organized people here.

This game is not about farming certs, is about winning.

I also find quite stupid all this URGENCY to have new stuff, while a lot of people still don't understand some basics concept of the game.

It is a problem of our generation. Everything is consumed and burned FAST.
Old 2013-02-21, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
There are a lot of "impatient idiots" out there including me. Look at the population drop of the last months. For alot of people the game missed content, mechanics and polishing. It still do.

How long do you think the customers will wait for a proper product? Till their fabulous 5 year plan is implemented?
Take a break. No one is stopping you. And it will do you more good if its your future game.

I stopped playing 1 month as i hit burnout. Coming back opened my eyes to the changes they have made.

Last edited by Pella; 2013-02-21 at 02:37 AM.
Old 2013-02-21, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mordelicius
Major

Imo an unspoken reason for the drop in the population from the release date is the relatively higher system requirement for this game.

Then, if you combine low TTK, hackers, lagging, unbalanced factions, unbalanced units, alot of players that keep dying will simply get frustrated and leave.

But the game keeps improving as they chip away at these constraints. Just this week, I had the best and most memorable fight in PS2 yet

In Waterson, the Vanu and TR decide to ally to take away the Indar cap from NC. We were down to one territory and they pounding and pounding us. Pouring in all directions. We kept wiping and pushing them to the bridge at the crater site. It was an awesome back and forth bridge war

They even pulled back to draw in the NC while they rush the base from the sides. It was mayhem lol. Eventually after a protracted stalemate, they gave up and basically just raged and blamed the render distance.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion