Territory System, is Adjacency required? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Joy to the world that barney's dead.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-31, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Territory System, is Adjacency required?

For those of you unaware, recently the devs changed it so that in order to capture territory you have to own adjacent territory. The thought is this will create a viable front line and stop the whack a mole territory system.

Do you think this is a viable option? Or do you think you should still be able to capture any territory regardless of adjacency?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-08-31, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Territory System, is Adjacency required?

This was a necessary change. Whack-a-mole gets old and the game currently does not have any indicators on the map which tell you that a territory is being contested. In Planetside 1, you'd have the flags and 15 minutes to respond. Captures happen too quickly to allow the lack of adjacency.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-08-31, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Adjacency was put in place because the lack of a front line and the chaotic captures. I think it was a step in the right direction, but back hacking should probably make a comeback in some modified way.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Adjacency was put in place because the lack of a front line and the chaotic captures. I think it was a step in the right direction, but back hacking should probably make a comeback in some modified way.
Without some form of indicator, adjacency should remain. You can still achieve the backhack effect if you quickly hack Outposts deeper and deeper into enemy territory. You drive a wedge.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-08-31, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

I like the old idea they had been throwing around: The more adjacent hexes you own, the faster the cap is. Makes border caps and surrounding enemies a better strategy. Kind of reminds me of the "Great Snake" strategy in the American Civil War.

Would still need an indicator on the map, though. Maybe an exclamation mark wherever a cap is happening?
Old 2012-08-31, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Saxywolf
Private

Don't allow back hacking of Bases or make them take an extremely long time.

Back hacking other places should be allowed, but there should absolutely be warning indications.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Haro
Master Sergeant

The adjacency system is good, but there needs to be an alternative for capturing other bases behind the lines. Maybe work infiltrators and hacking into it, or bring back gens, but more options would be nice.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Figment
Lieutenant General

I'd go as far as to say a combination of adjecency and lattice. (Lattice would actually expand the options, but could also provide more (visual) guidance and help to avoid typical threeways).
Old 2012-08-31, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
DayOne
Captain

Until you've spent an hour chasing one dude on a quad that is backhacking all your bases then you wont know how needed the adjacency system is.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

As of now the adjacency isn't working properly, imo.

As I always stated, the absence of proper communication methods was the propblem, not the adjacency system.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Shogun
Contributor
General

a system is needed, but i loved the ps1 system most. i just don´t know how to transate it to ps2.

we need indicators on map like the flags in ps1, and enough time to react if one shows up.

the status of bases on the map as it was in ps1, was extremely valuable. can we get something equivalent? i want to click on a base and get a summary window with all relevant data. status of capture points, status of generators, shields, terminals, etc.
my main concern is lack of information about anything.
right now it plays like a normal arena shooter. click a random instant action point and kill someone there. coordinating anything is extremely hard right now.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-08-31, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Shinjorai
First Sergeant

Ive been in beta since the tech test. Wow sounds wierd being able to say that now lol. Anyways the adjacent hex system made the battles a lot better. Me and my team defended a tower for a couple hours last night and it was a blast. Before the system, that just wouldntve happened. So I think like somebody said its definitely a step in the right direction but still they should add some more detail to the current system. Maybe make it where if you participate in so many base captures that day you have a temp token that would allow you to capture a back hex behind enemy lines.

Lets say they put computer terminals on each facility that you could hack over time and once you got it, it would containt a portion of code in the game that once you got say five of them you could break the security on one of the back hexes security computer making it compromiseable. That way it reduces the backhacking but still makes it available but those people have to participate in frontline combat as well to be able to earn the right to do that.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Wandering Mania
Private

I am in 100% in full suport of the Adjacency system. I hated chaseing arround 1 guy usealy in a reaver (damn NC) hacking back all our terratories and nothing was gained in the whole 3 hours beside some BR rank experiance. And with my lack of decant ram on my setup flying is not doable because of studder crashing the scythe.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
the status of bases on the map as it was in ps1, was extremely valuable. can we get something equivalent? i want to click on a base and get a summary window with all relevant data. status of capture points, status of generators, shields, terminals, etc.
my main concern is lack of information about anything.
right now it plays like a normal arena shooter. click a random instant action point and kill someone there. coordinating anything is extremely hard right now.
And there I thoguht I was the only one...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Yep. Adjacency has greatly improved territorial stability (along with the slightly increased timers). What it means is that what you do actually matters, at least for a little while. Previously, capturing a major base like Zurvan was anti-climactic to say the least. Five minutes after you left, somebody took it away from you.

PS1, territory changes would last hours, possibly overnight or longer (depending on circumstances). Before they tweaked the adjacency system, you get up, go to take a piss, come back, and everything was different :P
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion