Planetside 2 and Professional Gaming - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: As seen on TV
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-05, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

Planetside 2 and Professional Gaming

I propose that development includes a way for event competition to exist in Planetside 2, I seriously think that people would love spectating highly competitive groups of players on the scale that we will be enjoying, especially with the relative diversity of the playerbase already, the ability to specialize your play style, and with the accessibility (will work on machines that are VERY old!) I came up with an idea to track and display mission performance data in the idea vault, if that was implemented then you could base a competition off of that, other contests could just be in-game events scheduled where the squad/platoon/outfit/faction that controls the most territory or a particularly large facility/area for a certain amount of time. You could let people sign up for these events in advance with their username which would give the host access to data needed, that way other people can be part of the fight even if they can't afford the sign-up fee or the flight to Vegas or wherever we all decide to host these!

I think that the conventional video game competition could be totally changed up with this game, perhaps they could work with devs for when new locations are opened up (space, moons, new planets, etc.) but I think that there could be a lot of ongoing corporate sponsorship interest for stuff like this!
Old 2011-10-05, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Planetside 2 and Professional Gaming

Planetside is not an e-sport.
Old 2011-10-05, 03:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Planetside is not an e-sport.
But this isn't Planetside, it's Planetside 2
Old 2011-10-05, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

"Match called on account of rain.....ing bombs from the sky."
Old 2011-10-05, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Seeing outfit wars again would be nifty.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-10-05, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
WellWisherELF
Corporal

i recall either smedley or higby mentioning that they may add an outfit war or competitive arena type system into the game at some point in time, but they seemed sure that it wouldn't be a focal point of the game.
Old 2011-10-05, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
"Match called on account of rain.....ing bombs from the sky."
I was thinking that was part of what would make it that much more exciting because stuff like that could happen in the middle of a huge match from players that aren't even officially part of the tournament or at the event, being able to command well enough to mount a proper defense from a liberator carpet bombing or an incoming MAX crash on the fly is how people gain recognition on the leaderboards and later on professional gaming circles. I remember seeing this video and the crowd reaction and thinking...people would totally react this way if they could witness the glory of a solid battle.

All of the professional gamers seem to use noise-cancellation over-ear headphones so announcers can talk about the major threats and they can truly show the scale of attacks and defenses. You could invite a zerg rush on a server to focus on a particular location and see if they can beat the waiting elite players that are fortified and organized. Also, giving other people access to affect the competitive battles gives newer players the chance to capture the spotlight and perhaps be a regular player on the pro circuit.
Old 2011-10-05, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Captain B
First Sergeant

It would just detract from the game. You give people arena style combat, they'll go fight in a vacuum where some newb that sneaks up behind them by accident and sheer, blind luck and kills them can't occur. It's like sandbox MMOs where you get MOBAs and open-world PvP. You get your ladder players talking crap in arena fights and never set foot in the "end game".

This is a persistent world in constant battle. There are no "mini-games". The only "mini-game" is a play on mini-guns and all the fun stuff you can do to bodies with them. I hope they don't focus on MOBAs; get the game right the way it's supposed to be. Leave all the arenas and 1v1 - be it individuals or outfits - to clan-based games with instanced maps on special servers.

Stay in Karkand for your e-peen stroking. On Auraxis, you fight and you die and you deal with it.
Old 2011-10-05, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kalbuth
First Sergeant

Just a question, is there an e-sport featuring teams bigger than smtg like 12vs12?
Old 2011-10-05, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Crator
Major General

This shouldn't be implemented in-game. As others have said, it will detract from the main purpose of the game. Perhaps something like a fantasy football system offline, in a web browser, would be neat though.
Old 2011-10-05, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Just rebuild the map Face II from Unreal Tournament with Planetside towers
Old 2011-10-05, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

ohnoes not this again!

I don't think this game is appropriate for that. But as I said many months ago in a similar thread I would not be against an area off limits to players that Developers can use for things like outfit wars. Like it or not that was a pretty big success and fun for many players.

AN AREA ONLY DEVELOPERS CAN ACCESS AND BRING PEOPLE TO.

Just wanted to make that clear.. last time people went off the handle like I was asking for instancing.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-05, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Tapman View Post
pro circuit.
Yeah, fuck that. If somebody wants celebrity then they can walk their ass out onto the battlefield and earn it. No sponsorships, no advertising, and no spectating. If you would like to hold competitions then do it, no dev resources need to be wasted on this.
Old 2011-10-05, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
ohnoes not this again!

I don't think this game is appropriate for that. But as I said many months ago in a similar thread I would not be against an area off limits to players that Developers can use for things like outfit wars. Like it or not that was a pretty big success and fun for many players.

AN AREA ONLY DEVELOPERS CAN ACCESS AND BRING PEOPLE TO.

Just wanted to make that clear.. last time people went off the handle like I was asking for instancing.
This, exactly.
Everything else that players could use as they will would make the entire thing pointless. It would drain away from the big fights, while making the "special" expirience not so special anymore. Outfit wars should be a very special event, happening very rarley (once a year at max).
Old 2011-10-05, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I already beat this topic to death a few months ago. I still want to see some kind of area for outfits on opposing factions to able to fight with 1-3 squads against one another. Could easily put limitations on how this can be done. Between number of matches per night, some kind of cost involved (say OP), and even limiting it to certain days/times. Just to make sure it doesn't take away from the fights. I still do not buy the argument either. People are going to be getting this game for the massive fights not some side play that is fun a couple times a week. I wouldn't be shocked if people actually get the game for that feature, but they will may not not the massive fights in the first place.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion