Vehicle, Sunderer, Infantry and Squad Leader Questions - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The Seventh Circle, and still truckin'.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-10, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Vehicle, Sunderer, Infantry and Squad Leader Questions

After watching the GDC video I've been building up a list of questions...

Maybe some of these have been answered in some capacity and I missed them. If so I'd appreciate the answer AND source if so.

General Vehicle Questions
1) What vehicle class restrictions exist for driving? Can a MAX/HA drive a vehicle or pilot a plane?
2) What vehicle class restrictions exist for gunning? Can a MAX gun a tank or galaxy?
3) Do common pool vehicles inherit characteristics of the empire using them? For example, do TR Sunderers drive faster, VS Sunderers turn/accelerate faster, NC Sunderers have more armor?
4) How long are vehicle timers by default? One cert in the GDC videos indicated it reduced the acquisition timer on the Vanguard.
5) Do vehicles differ in their acquisition timers?

Sunderer Questions
1) How survivable is the sunderer vs a tank? It carries 10 people, is it a comedy kill waiting to happen or is the Sunderer actually tough enough that outfits would be comfortable putting 10 people inside one?
2) If its tough to take down I would expect the tradeoff is that it is weak on weaponry. How many weapon points are on the Sunderer?
3) How much firepower does a sunderer have compared to a tank?
4) Can a Sunderer configure different types of guns - AA, AI, or AV?
5) Does the Sunderer's repair benefit affect other Sunderers?
6) How close does a vehicle have to be in order to receive the Sunderer's repair benefit?
7) Can a vehicle be under the effect of multiple Sunderers (i.e. does the repair benefit stack?)
8) What types of upgrades are available for a Sunderer?
9) How did the Truck Nuts debate go? Did you green light station cash for truck nuts for the Sundy?

Infantry Questions
1) Other than sniping and scouting, what value do Infiltrators bring to a fire team? In other words, why I would want one in my heavy infantry squad?
2) Can infiltrators capture/hack significantly faster?
3) Is the infiltrator class grenade a flashbang/stun grenade?
4) Is Light Assault the only class with ammo-giving capability? Can they give more than one box of ammo? How often? Does it persist until picked up/destroyed/death or does it last a set period of time like BF3?
5) Is there a medical box like the ammo box that Medics put out? We didn't see healing mechanic clearly in the videos.
6) What teamwork benefit do Heavy Assault provide?
7) In Battlefield games, Engineers are also a primary AV class. The picture we saw of Engineers did not indicate they have any AV weaponry - are Engineers an Anti-Vehicular class or is that the Heavy Assault / MAX?
8) Can Engineers deploy repair/healing/ammo dispensers?
9) Other than a mannable turret, what other deployables do engineers have?
10) Do engineers get Anti-personnel as well as Anti-tank mines?
11) Do engineer mines count as the "Explosive" slot for Engineers, or is it like BF3 where they sacrifice their repair tool for mines?
12) Do MAX have acquisition timers? If so, are they 5 min like PS1?

Squad Leader Questions
1) Do Squad Leaders get a spawn beacon similar to BF2142 that the squad leader can put down/pick up that allows a specific location to be the spawn point for the squad instead of spawning on the squad leader? This was a rather cool feature of BF2142 and allowed the squad leader freedom to move out and attack and not hide in a corner protecting the squad spawn.
2) How does squad size affect Squad-spawn rate? To put it another way, why would I have a squad of 10 instead of 5 squads of 2? The squad of 10 has 1 leader and therefore 1 spawn point, while 5 squads of 2 has 5 spawn points and appears more resilient and harder to wipe out. Do you scale the spawn rate of squad-spawn with the size of the squad to encourage larger squads?
3) Other than squad spawn, what other benefits do squad leaders provide?
4) How big are platoons? Squad size showed 10 for PS2, same as PS1. Are there platoons in PS2? How many squads in them?
5) Can squad leaders easily set up in-game voice channels to talk to each other for coordination?
6) Are there waypoint systems like PS1 where squad leaders and platoons can mark positions?
7) Can squad leaders draw on the map like PS1?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
Old 2012-03-10, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Death2All
Major

Misc Info
Re: Vehicle, Sunderer, Infantry and Squad Leader Questions

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
After watching the GDC video I've been building up a list of questions...

Maybe some of these have been answered in some capacity and I missed them. If so I'd appreciate the answer AND source if so.

General Vehicle Questions
1) What vehicle class restrictions exist for driving? Can a MAX/HA drive a vehicle or pilot a plane?
2) What vehicle class restrictions exist for gunning? Can a MAX gun a tank or galaxy?
I'm pretty sure they confirmed MAXes can enter any gunner/passenger spot this around. I don't have the exact source on that but I remember reading that and facepalming vividly.
3) Do common pool vehicles inherit characteristics of the empire using them? For example, do TR Sunderers drive faster, VS Sunderers turn/accelerate faster, NC Sunderers have more armor?
I don't think so. I think that's more left up to player and how they want to customize and spec out their vehicle. Otherwise, what would be the point of commonpool vehicles if they inherited your empire traits. Some people just want a neutral vehicle.
4) How long are vehicle timers by default? One cert in the GDC videos indicated it reduced the acquisition timer on the Vanguard.
5) Do vehicles differ in their acquisition timers?
I'm not entirely sure there's vehicle timers at all. It's my understanding that you purchase your vehicle/weapons resources that are paid out to you like dividends from your empire for owning territory. Whether or not purchasing weapons/vehicles is a one time buy or a fee you have to pay everytime is unknown to me.
Sunderer Questions
1) How survivable is the sunderer vs a tank? It carries 10 people, is it a comedy kill waiting to happen or is the Sunderer actually tough enough that outfits would be comfortable putting 10 people inside one?
2) If its tough to take down I would expect the tradeoff is that it is weak on weaponry. How many weapon points are on the Sunderer?
3) How much firepower does a sunderer have compared to a tank?
4) Can a Sunderer configure different types of guns - AA, AI, or AV?
5) Does the Sunderer's repair benefit affect other Sunderers?
6) How close does a vehicle have to be in order to receive the Sunderer's repair benefit?
7) Can a vehicle be under the effect of multiple Sunderers (i.e. does the repair benefit stack?)
8) What types of upgrades are available for a Sunderer?
9) How did the Truck Nuts debate go? Did you green light station cash for truck nuts for the Sundy?

Infantry Questions
1) Other than sniping and scouting, what value do Infiltrators bring to a fire team? In other words, why I would want one in my heavy infantry squad?
2) Can infiltrators capture/hack significantly faster?
3) Is the infiltrator class grenade a flashbang/stun grenade?
4) Is Light Assault the only class with ammo-giving capability? Can they give more than one box of ammo? How often? Does it persist until picked up/destroyed/death or does it last a set period of time like BF3?
5) Is there a medical box like the ammo box that Medics put out? We didn't see healing mechanic clearly in the videos.
6) What teamwork benefit do Heavy Assault provide?
7) In Battlefield games, Engineers are also a primary AV class. The picture we saw of Engineers did not indicate they have any AV weaponry - are Engineers an Anti-Vehicular class or is that the Heavy Assault / MAX? Pretty sure Heavy Assaults/MAXes are the primary AV class. I hope it stays that way and the Engineer turns into more of a support/defensive class.
8) Can Engineers deploy repair/healing/ammo dispensers? I hope so. If they're limited to just deploying turrets and fixing things that would be rather lame.
9) Other than a mannable turret, what other deployables do engineers have?
10) Do engineers get Anti-personnel as well as Anti-tank mines?
11) Do engineer mines count as the "Explosive" slot for Engineers, or is it like BF3 where they sacrifice their repair tool for mines?
12) Do MAX have acquisition timers? If so, are they 5 min like PS1?

Squad Leader Questions
1) Do Squad Leaders get a spawn beacon similar to BF2142 that the squad leader can put down/pick up that allows a specific location to be the spawn point for the squad instead of spawning on the squad leader? This was a rather cool feature of BF2142 and allowed the squad leader freedom to move out and attack and not hide in a corner protecting the squad spawn.
2) How does squad size affect Squad-spawn rate? To put it another way, why would I have a squad of 10 instead of 5 squads of 2? The squad of 10 has 1 leader and therefore 1 spawn point, while 5 squads of 2 has 5 spawn points and appears more resilient and harder to wipe out. Do you scale the spawn rate of squad-spawn with the size of the squad to encourage larger squads?
3) Other than squad spawn, what other benefits do squad leaders provide?
4) How big are platoons? Squad size showed 10 for PS2, same as PS1. Are there platoons in PS2? How many squads in them?
5) Can squad leaders easily set up in-game voice channels to talk to each other for coordination?
6) Are there waypoint systems like PS1 where squad leaders and platoons can mark positions?
7) Can squad leaders draw on the map like PS1?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
Red.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON

Last edited by Death2All; 2012-03-10 at 03:23 PM.
Old 2012-03-10, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Great questions, hope we see some answers.
Old 2012-03-10, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
DayOne
Captain

It's two top mounted turrets. These will most likely be interchangeable (AI/AV/AA).

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion