Planetside Original 10 + BI - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Accepted everywhere you want to be.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-30, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Planetside Original 10 + BI

Dev's what would be the possibility of introducing the maps of the graphically updated original 10 Planetside continents and the Battle Islands into Planetside 2? HINT, HINT.

To the community, how would you guys feel about that?

Old 2012-05-30, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Planetside Original 10 + BI

I think you misunderstand what the developers are trying to do. The old maps were very simple. Forgelight is allowing them to make real maps with more complex layouts. Bringing the old Planetside continents 1:1 back would be a huge waste of time. I really like how they're reinventing them and just taking the basic biome styles.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kaw
Corporal

The only parts of PS continents anyone ever really sees are the bases themselves, and those are all pretty much identical. Also, the scale would be wrong, and there is so much more possible with the new engine that I would prefer new, properly designed maps. I wouldn't mind using the biome themes and general base layout for inspiration, but so much would have to be changed that a map could never really be a port.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'd rather see a few more continents in the PS2 style. 4 or 5 like Indar would probably give us more fighting space than we ever had in the first Planetside, and if they succeed in reaching the 2000 players per continent mark, 5 continents would provide 10,000 players per server, double what PS1's original 10 continents would allow.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
NCLynx
Major

As long as Zotz makes a return I'm fine.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Years ago we would place AMS's on the islands north of Hossin. A VS outfit would do the same then we would do a TR, VS outfit war offshore off Hossin. Other times we would just place AMS's offshore of the conts and we would use those areas as attack points. Some people appreciated battle away from the bases and found ways in planetside to make such battles enjoyable. Believe me no one was happier then me when I first heard Matt Higby say that every square inch of the continents will be contestable land. Man did I hear a chorus of angels, after wishing that for so many years. lol.

This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
arclegger
PlanetSide 2
Level Designer

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I think you misunderstand what the developers are trying to do. The old maps were very simple. Forgelight is allowing them to make real maps with more complex layouts. Bringing the old Planetside continents 1:1 back would be a huge waste of time. I really like how they're reinventing them and just taking the basic biome styles.
I logged onto planetside 1 the other day and ran around the facilities just lol'ing and going "man, there's literally nothing around these bases." I forgot how barren most of the continents were.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by arclegger View Post
I logged onto planetside 1 the other day and ran around the facilities just lol'ing and going "man, there's literally nothing around these bases." I forgot how barren most of the continents were.
have you guys talked about possibly adding a level editor to the game some day? Something that would allow players to create their own facilities using building block style components?
Old 2012-05-30, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Koenside
Private

Instead of bringing them back make miniature islands out of them. Just scale em down quite a bit and allow a smaller number of players on them.
Old 2012-05-30, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
RNFB
First Sergeant

Just update them all for PlanetSide 2. I want every original continent to return in HD
Old 2012-05-30, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
cellinaire
Captain

They have every intentions to bring all the old continents back in some form. Heard it from one of these GDC 'behind the scene' videos. And from Higby's reddit Q&A, I saw that they were already working on at least one PS1 continent for PS2. (not one of those 3 launch continents which are confirmed already)

And compare the PS1 continents' attention to detail to that of PS2. No match for me. Do you guys know the reason why the size of landmasses of TES(Elder Scroll series) got shrinked as time goes on? (Daggerfall and Skyrim. Simply not even comparable)

Last edited by cellinaire; 2012-05-30 at 11:00 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by cellinaire View Post
They have every intentions to bring all the old continents back in some form. Heard it from one of these GDC 'behind the scene' videos. And from Higby's reddit Q&A, I saw that they were already working on at least one PS1 continent for PS2. (not one of those 3 launch continents which are confirmed already)
Wow thanks, Great news for me. I mean the Searhurs volcanic crater, Ceryshens cliffs, the 6 hour battle between the TR and NC on a Cyssor bridge. Man those places bring a lot of memories.

Old 2012-05-30, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
Wow thanks, Great news for me. I mean the Searhurs volcanic crater, Ceryshens cliffs, the 6 hour battle between the TR and NC on a Cyssor bridge. Man those places bring a lot of memories.
Oh Cyssor bridges....
Old 2012-05-30, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
Every time I think of Cyssor all I can hear in my mind is "Kill the phonies over and over again" Never had fun on Cyssor it was always Ugh another 3 way on Cyssor. :P
Old 2012-05-30, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

bring old oshur back, but larger.

minimum.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion