More Police abuse - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All your base are... Oh forget it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-08, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Surprise
Private

More Police abuse

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc...13fIRBnNA.cspx
This kind of stuff has to stop, its about time we legalized all drugs and stop incarcerating people for victimless crimes.
Old 2012-06-08, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ArcIyte
Sergeant

Re: More Police abuse

beat rodney down

WWW.ENCLAVEOILRIG.COM
Old 2012-06-08, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Totally legit lawsuit, in my opinion.
Old 2012-06-08, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Just think about all the stuff that happens which never makes it to the news. Fuck the police.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Just think about all the stuff that happens which never makes it to the news. Fuck the police.
Well, not all of them. Not even most of them, certainly.

They have a pretty thankless and completely necessary job.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Of course fuck all of them. Some of them may not abuse their power much, but they exist to put you or I in front of a judge, charged with a crime. That is their purpose. That is why they exist. They're a street gang whose mandate isn't pushing drugs or extortion or anything (usually) like typical gangs, but rather to put you in bracelets. If we didn't have cops, sure, some other gangs would rise up, and we'd be worse off. But that doesn't mean you ought to respect police or give them an ounce of trust.

Caveat though: As much as I dislike police, the best way of dealing with them is knowing your rights, being polite and respectful, never giving them any more than the information you're required to give unless a lawyer is present, and overall ensuring that you don't give them a reason to beat the fuck out of you or kill you. Cops are thugs, but if you don't make yourself easy prey your chances of being victimized by them is pretty low.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-06-08 at 05:59 PM.
Old 2012-06-08, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Nash
Private

Fuck the police tbh.
They're all pigs in my eyes.
Old 2012-06-08, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Fuck the police tbh.
They're all pigs in my eyes.
The bad thing about having a creative mind is visualising these sort of statements straight away. >.>
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-10, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

This was a very good video, thank you for linking it. I watched the second part as well where the officer gives his take (which supports the lawyer's statements).

The first reason is definitely reason enough - it can't ever help you and can only be used to hurt you.

I was recently pulled over by a cop who I was quite convinced tagged someone else for speeding and he kept asking me "where were you going in such a hurry?" - he asked several different versions of that question (all of which I did not answer). Everything he was asking me was an attempt to get a confession of speeding. Even though I denied his assertions and challenged him that he got the wrong person, I know better next time to not answer questions and only to ask them (like 'can I leave?' and 'why did you stop me?' and that's about it).

Most officers I've talked to were nice and polite, this one was quite the jackass. So it doesn't really matter how good most cops are, sooner or later you'll come across a bad one and talking can only hurt you. Gotta protect yourself. Since anything can be used against you, you have a constitutional right to not communicate anything.

God bless America and that glorious 5th amendment.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
This was a very good video, thank you for linking it. I watched the second part as well where the officer gives his take (which supports the lawyer's statements).
Its a good video, but I feel people take it a touch too literally. If I'm in some police station being grilled about my whereabouts on the 15th, yeah, I'm shutting the hell up and calling a lawyer. Period.

But if theres an accident I'm involved in, and the cop is asking who did what, sure, I'm going to tell him what happened.

Really you just have to tailor your response to the potential threat. Theres no use arguing over some simple traffic ticket. "Yeah, I was speeding, I'm sorry" has got me plenty of warnings instead of tickets.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

You think people are too aggressive in taking advantage of their 5th Amendment rights? I thought the whole idea is that most people aren't properly aware of what their rights are, and the lawyer was attempting to help educate folks. People, at least in my experience, are far too willing to speak to the police when they have nothing to gain in doing so.

Anyway, yeah, there's a certain level of common sense for minor traffic incidents. I also assume that if there's an accident and you take the 5th the cop will not be inclined to view your involvement in the collision favourably.
Old 2012-06-10, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
CutterJohn
Colonel

You think people are too aggressive in taking advantage of their 5th Amendment rights?
Yes. If everyone took the 5th on every occasion possible the police would become the most useless organization ever, completely incapable of doing their jobs.
Old 2012-06-10, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

They can do their jobs just fine without a confession.

Old 2012-06-10, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Yes. If everyone took the 5th on every occasion possible the police would become the most useless organization ever, completely incapable of doing their jobs.
That isn't even remotely true.

Anyway, they're their rights. People should know them and not be afraid to use them.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-06-10 at 11:26 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
God bless English Law for leaving America the inspiration for that glorious 5th amendment.
Amended.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum