Dont think the HA should be able to fly. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Creators of the "Lash Me" sign.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-16, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Purple
Sergeant Major

Dont think the HA should be able to fly.

Clerg just confirmed that all classes (not the MAX) can fly aircraft. this open up the ability for engineers to repair their own aircraft and get back in the air quickly like in PS1. however the issue i see is that it allows HA to be able to bail from aircraft and attack with their AV. it also allows HA to get ontop of towers without needing teamwork. i think they should remove HA from the pool of classes that can fly aircraft. Wondering what the PSU community thinks.

Edit: i am not suggesting that HA will use aircraft as something they bail from when they get to their destination. When i implied they could use it to get onto of towers i thought they would land on the landing pads not just bail somewhere over the towers.

Last edited by Purple; 2012-06-16 at 11:45 PM.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Re: Dont think the HA should be able to fly.

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
Clerg just confirmed that all classes (not the MAX) can fly aircraft. this open up the ability for engineers to repair their own aircraft and get back in the air quickly like in PS1. however the issue i see is that it allows HA to be able to bail from aircraft and attack with their AV. it also allows HA to get ontop of towers without needing teamwork. i think they should remove HA from the pool of classes that can fly aircraft. Wondering what the PSU community thinks.
It was a good thing back then and it's a good thing now. Still, most pilots will be Light Assault.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zulthus
Colonel

That really doesn't make sense... why? There should be a dedicated pilot class for aircraft, or at least Light Assault IMO. Especially if the aircraft has a bailing mechanism, it'll be a worse scenario than in PS1. I'd prefer agiles with jackhammers bailing compared to Rexo's with much larger guns. Even in ground vehicles, the driver shouldn't be able to use anything bigger than LA unless it's an open top vehicle.

Is it just another way to make the BF crowd feel at home?

Last edited by Zulthus; 2012-06-16 at 07:12 PM.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

I think it's more a way to let the PS crowd feel more at home... the only real difference is you've got guys with R-Exo armor jumping out. Agile could carry HA/AV, as well as glue guns and Med applicators, y'know.

Not really seeing the problem.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant

Can we get one thread without blaming the Battlefield players? Please?

That being said, I agree with your concern. I'm just wondering if the lowered TTK will make it easier to deal with a solo Heavy Assault or harder. That's discounting the possibility of a whole squad of them doing the same thing as well, though, and if they have the ejector seat... not good.

It might be a good idea to at least prevent them from flying air vehicles. At least make them ride in the back of a liberator. No dedicated piloting class, though, and I don't personally see a problem with them driving ground vehicles.

EDIT: Mazinkasie also has a point... it could be a legitimate tactic. I don't know, we should see how it plays before we call nerf I guess.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
FuzzyandBlue
Corporal

I think this problem is balanced by the fact that vehicles are not free. Sure I can hop into a vehicle and bail out, but I waste x amount of a resource. At this time we don't know how much any vehicles will cost, as far as resources go.

Also the only way, based on the E3 footage, to bail out of an aircraft safely is to get an ejection seat. Otherwise you die on impact with a solid surface. I find it hard to believe that even the most skilled pilots will be able to bail out of their aircraft in a combat situation and land in an advantageous position.

As of right now I don't see any problem with every class but MAX being able to pilot aircraft.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

No, let them fly it, but reduce their maneuverability and control appropriately for wearing such heavy armor. Ensure they will be flying... sitting ducks.

Old 2012-06-16, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

As long as it's medic's or engi's job to dispense ammo (or the ammo packs are consumables), and not HA's, bailing with HA is fine.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ale
Corporal

HA being classed the way Rexo was in the orginal isn't a bad idea.

In fact, I'm all for HA not being able to fly or drive until ES buggies are in game. They should still be able to gun though, unlike MAXes, which will require special slots on the Sundy / Gal still, hopefully.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
As long as it's medic's or engi's job to dispense ammo (or the ammo packs are consumables), and not HA's, bailing with HA is fine.
So far, from the responses I have read, I fall in with NewSiths take on it. My instincts are starting to whisper balance issue very slightly, but could easily be wrong, given his restrictions.

I personally prefer that HA were not able to pilot craft due to it not making any sense to have personal rocket launchers, and heavy rifles in a fighter plane... but I am not 100% against it, cause this is a futuristic game, so, who knows...

Edit: Im still undecided about tanks, but Bangbuses should definately be driveable by HA, lotsa room for all kinds of stuff...

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-06-16 at 07:54 PM.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sirisian
Colonel

I don't see a problem. Especially since vehicles cost resources. The concept of someone wasting resources for a quick transport in the game to then drop and get a few kills sounds balanced in that regard. An engineer landing and reparing his vehicle and getting kills is just as powerful (if not more).
Old 2012-06-16, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
mintyc
Corporal

i get the feeling that the cost of aircraft may play a role in this to. i am hopeing that it is impractical to constantly be useing aircraft as throw away transport like in the PS1.

or we could just have a sundy bus, man connon variant
Old 2012-06-16, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Darthkorr
Private

I just dont see what the big deal is. So what if the HA can get into a hard to reach postion and start shootin with his AV? Takes multiple shots to bring down anything. Call it in and have someone shoot him out of there. call in your air guys or your LA to get up to him and wax him. If a bunch do it? Then good for them, find a way to take them out. Call in the Air support, call in that tank battalion over the ridge, or your sniper squad thats over the ridge across from them. If you can not do any of these things then they have effectively taken that area. and good on them. If i am completely flawed in this view please explain.

Last edited by Darthkorr; 2012-06-16 at 08:03 PM.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Haro
Master Sergeant

Given that bailing out isn't an option unless you are either very low to the ground or have the ejector seat cert, I don't see this as being a huge problem. Like elfailo said, there's a lot of stuff we don't know about this yet, but there are things like lock on times, fall damage, and fall recovery that could make this a lot harder. It probably won't be anything like falling out of a plane and instantly being able to turn and shoot. On the contrary, a pilot still flying will probably be able to track down and quickly finish off even an HA. Again, we don't really know enough to make a final call, but I'm not particularly worried.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Toppopia
Major

I don't understand why people would want to be anything other than an engineer in vehicles. How else do you repair them after taking damage? It just makes me use the vehicle as a disposable 1 use item, but if i am an engineer then i will want to take care of it. So i think only LA or Engineers fly aircraft. Because why else would you be flying?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion