Poll: Rotation of empire footholds? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We hump furniture.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should empire footholds be rotated?
Yes 50 40.00%
No 49 39.20%
Not sure 26 20.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-07, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
SgtMAD
Captain

Re: Poll: Rotation of empire footholds?

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I'm usually all about changing it up but..

When they started rotating the home conts in PS1 it made me a little sad. Having that sense of "These are ours!" meant something to a lot of people. You couldn't step on Esamir without the entire Vanu Sovereignty coming down on you.

It already feels less like Planetside without Dagda being constantly besieged.
go back and read the OF and see all the threads about getting everyone to leave dagda alone because the vs were sick of defending it,shit I was NC,we attacked it all the time or we would get a cavelock at caer and take that
Old 2012-06-07, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

I like the idea of a single foothold for each faction on their home continent.

Everything else should simply be a neutral warp gate for travel to the corresponding continents.

Having a bunch of continents with a constant foothold on each one is just...
Old 2012-06-07, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Inverness
Private

I don't like the idea of permanent footholds on each continent. I think each empire needs one or two home continents like in PS1 and only have permanent footholds there. I don't like the idea of being unable to fully control a continent. Those home continents should also rotate every month or so in order to keep things fresh.

Also, the capturable footholds should not have shields around them and it should be possible for other empires to come in and deactivate the warpgate temporarily by shooting at those 3 pillars to disable them. Naturally, there would have to be other ways to gain entry to the continent like the HART shuttle or by certing a galaxy for inter-continental flight.

Edit: Heres another idea, perhaps instead of having a home continent with an uncapturable foothold gate, make it so each empire can always designate a foothold as their home location, either by default because its the last one left or because commanders chose.

Last edited by Inverness; 2012-06-07 at 07:36 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

I said no because it ends up being like a round timer and breaks immersion.

Keep in mind that the devs have a plan to add more continent post-release, so there will be plenty of chances to mix it up.

Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
I don't like the idea of permanent footholds on each continent. I think each empire needs one or two home continents like in PS1 and only have permanent footholds there. I don't like the idea of being unable to fully control a continent. Those home continents should also rotate every month or so in order to keep things fresh.
While I understand your reasoning, you have to remember that is exactly what the dev DOn'T want: people being locked out of continents. They want people to be able to go to different environments and not be trapped in one or two places. Keep in mind that when you lock out a continent, you lose the opportunity to play there also.

Last edited by The Degenatron; 2012-06-07 at 07:37 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Ale View Post
ITT: Dr. Frankenstein has second thoughts.
or,
[Maury]Malorn... you are the father of this child.[/Maury]
or,
Homeconts, A.S.S.inine.

As for the OP's suggestion: Yes, rotation please.
Yes, I did create quite the monster in PS1, and I saw the outcome of that monster - a lot of stagnant fighting. We saw tons of Amerish, Solsar, and Searhus, and quite a bit of Cyssor, but not much else. Forseral? Hossin? Esamir? Almost never. It got very stale. Even back then I wanted them to rotate the broadcast gates so they changed up the fighting. Not having home continents would have meant the battle lines shifted a lot more and we would have seen more variety of combat but may not have seen much of any lock benefits.

But the way PS1 was designed, home continents is how solidified a front, locked continents, and moved forward. That doesn't map to PS2 all that well since there isn't continent locking. That whole mechanic got moved to the smaller scale, and the last thing I want is stagnant fighting on a sub-continent level. Stagnant fighting at the continental level was bad enough.

Home continents promotes stagnation, we really are better off without that concept making its way into PS2. And yes, I know how hypocritical that sounds after being a huge encourager of home continents in PS1 I don't like how my monster turned out. That monster kept me from my love, Ceryshen.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion