Ragdoll Schmagdoll...Can we have this? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You mean there are other fansites?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-30, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Robert089
Sergeant

Re: Ragdoll Schmagdoll...Can we have this?

Yeah I doubt you can really use that in a first person shooter. It's what rockstar use in nearly all of their games now I'm pretty sure. GTA and Red Dead for example, remember getting nudged slightly by a car (or horse) and your guy would stumble around for ages trying to keep his balance? It was the most annoying part of those games. Also it's impossible to do it for player characters getting shot because as others have already mentioned it would be impossible for anyone to aim if the avatar starts grabbing at his bullet wounds or getting pushed about by explosions.

It is only a technology to use for NPCs really, not that I'm a game developer or anything so I could be talking complete nonsense.

Edit:
Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I should probably mention that the creation of this thread came out of a discussion in IRC discussing how ragdoll deaths weren't conducive to immersion (certainly comedic though), and that's when this got linked. This'd be for deaths/animation rather than when you were in control.
But eurphoria gives the models a sort of sense of self preservation while they are alive, allowing them to move realistically, it can't really be applied to things that are dead, it would just be a ragdoll. Like in the video you showed, when the dude gets shot twice at 1:03 it simply drops dead.

Last edited by Robert089; 2011-07-30 at 01:20 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion