Planetside 2 for Linux - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Daily spawning reports.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-17, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 for Linux

Half the fun of gaming is getting it to work in wine!
Old 2011-10-17, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Dorest0rm
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by waldizzo View Post
Half the fun of gaming is getting it to work in wine!
Half the fun of Linux is getting it to work.

And I'm not talking about Ubuntu. Ubuntu is easy mode.
Old 2011-10-17, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dorest0rm View Post
Half the fun of Linux is getting it to work.
And that's why I do the linux for a living.
Old 2011-10-17, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Well, they did think about a much larger non-PC market !

I installed Linux on my computer this week-end to try (Ubuntu - fairly easy) and it's kind of fun to use. Command lines and the like... WeeeEeeEeeeh !

They have those packaged programs that you can download like in Steam. I thought about how cool it would be to see PS2 there, click "get it" and have awesomeness installed on-demand !

Bias towards Linux was definitely limited thinking but I think I just realized the power of the "Click&Play" F2P concept.

PS2 available everywhere ! Just download and play ! Of course, I assume no installation fee but this is "Wow!" when you think about it. PR-wise, it looks incredible. Don't need to read a full-gaming article ! Just click that game and get your mind blown !!!

If they make it work as well as I hope they will, PS2 will be so easy to advertise and share that it can only be a huge success !

And if it comes standard on PS4 along with PC, wow ! (for the number of players mostly; i don't like how they might need to cut gameplay to accomodate console players unless the PS4 comes standard with keyboard and mouse)

Last edited by sylphaen; 2011-10-17 at 09:55 PM.
Old 2011-10-18, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Crator
Major General

Thumbs up Re: Planetside 2 for Linux

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
PS2 available everywhere ! Just download and play ! Of course, I assume no installation fee but this is "Wow!" when you think about it. PR-wise, it looks incredible. Don't need to read a full-gaming article ! Just click that game and get your mind blown !!!

If they make it work as well as I hope they will, PS2 will be so easy to advertise and share that it can only be a huge success !
Exactly!
Old 2011-10-25, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Ey Ey Ey!

I don't appreciates most of the anti Linux speak, I love my slack. That being said... The Linux community is just a bad market to spend resources on. Like myself and 99% of Linux users, it's a work environment and/or enthusiast OS modding :-D

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Install Wine and GOOD LUCK!
lol qft

Last edited by Infektion; 2011-10-25 at 09:49 PM.
Old 2013-01-09, 03:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Osburn
Private

Writing on the official Google+ PlanetSide 2 page a developer by the name of ’blaze’ responded to a query about Linux with this:

If there’s enough of a desire for it, who knows? It’s not something we’re currently focusing on, but be sure to let us know if that would be something you’d be interested in and we’ll take it into consideration!

Diplomatic Response:

Chances are that this is nothing more than a diplomatic response. An enthusiastic but non-committal ‘maybe’ curries more favour with people than a cold rigid ‘no’.

Which, funnily enough, is precisely what the President of Sony Online Entertainment gave Linux users back in August.

Answering the question of a Linux port via a Reddit ‘Ask me Anything’ session, SOE’s John Smedley said:

‘[Users] aren’t going to see PlanetSide 2 on Linux [but] will see it on Mac.’

In the same session Smedley also reaffirmed his position on Windows 8, saying that he ‘absolutely strongly‘ believes that the OS won’t be a good thing for PC gamers.

Original posted by:
Google+ via Robert Brown
Old 2013-01-09, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

well since the steambox seems to be using Linux the demand may well come.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/08/ne...ill-use-linux/
Old 2013-01-09, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
AThreatToYou
Major

Don't even get me started on steam box. That thing will not have the hardware required to play PS2.
Old 2013-01-09, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
sneeek
Private

Speaking as a developer who writes code for Linux and Windows, the problems that prevent Linux taking off as a gaming platform are:

1. No standardisation between distributions and very little emphasis on forwards or backwards compatibility, meaning that it's a quite a headache for developers to ensure that large, complex applications (e.g. games) work out-of-the-box on most Linux distributions.

The Linux scene, and the open source scene in general, consists of a bunch egos who compete with each other and can rarely agree on a single, best way to do something - which is why there are dozens of Linux distributions each with a different philosophy. In some ways this diversity is a strength, but when you're trying to make a living from software, it's a pain in the balls.

2. The graphics subsystem, particularly for 3D acceleration, is still a mess and in a state of flux. Progress on the most promising project, Gallium3D, is very slow and so far the drivers have a mere fraction of the performance of Windows drivers with the equivalent functionality.

That said, Gallium3D potentially will allow OpenGL, DirectX 9, 10, 11 etc. to all be supported, so when (if ever?) that comes to fruition, Linux should actually become attractive from a technical point of view.

NVidia and AMD offer decent closed-source drivers that exceed the performance of Windows in some games, but they are disliked by purists and even then don't work for everybody without several hours of googling for solutions.

3. Publishers may be afraid that with Linux being open source and therefore hackable, it will be impossible to prevent piracy. For the same reason, creating certain kinds of hacks for the purpose of cheating should theoretically be easier than in Windows.

4. It's a small market, which means that it's not economically worthwhile to pursue given the above difficulties.

Last edited by sneeek; 2013-01-09 at 05:46 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion