News: New Screenshot Quad in Action - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Try this at home.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-04, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: New Screenshot Quad in Action

I looks great. I don't understand the negative reactions that there are, in any case gameplay before graphics.

In my mind's eye I can hear a whole bunch of people saying "I think I'll pull a reaver/vanguard"
Old 2012-02-04, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

I think what people need to understand is you can have a gorgeous environment, or gorgeous meshes for everything else. Having both at once is just fine for a conventional game, but with an MMO you need to prioritise to ensure you have smooth gameplay.

Personally I don't have a problem with it; Forgelight really has made massive improvements to the gameworld in both areas. Besides, when it comes to materials on objects, screenshots don't really do the same justice as the human eye, which can interpret the information better.

Last edited by Hyncharas; 2012-02-04 at 03:51 PM.
Old 2012-02-04, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Levente
First Sergeant

And people tend to forget that this is PC exclusiv title, no console hardware is holding the devs back to make high detailed meshes and make everything dynamic such as the lightning. Last true pc title was Crysis 1. I do think that what we seen so far on the screens is the exact graphical fidelity you will get when its released.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-02-04, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Ah, sorry, apparently that's british terminology.

What I'm talking about is where the reflections of the light are done in such a way that it looks like it's covered by plastic/"saran" wrap. It came about with the introduction of either bloom or HDR, I can't remember which, but there were games that utilized it in such a way that shiny things ended up looking like they'd been vacuum-packed with plastic wrap (I seem to remember cars were particularly susceptible to this).

Like I say, it doesn't look like it'll be a problem, the reflections on the helmet just reminded me of it slightly.

Edit: Does anyone else know what I'm talking about, or do I just sound crazy? People used to go on about it back in the day...
Ah, gotcha - you need not worry, we keep the plastic wrap away from the art folks. That look came from the first few generations of complex shader tech, where people took special care to over-use it (OooOoo! SHINY!) - because they could.
Old 2012-02-04, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
Baron
First Sergeant

The Sundy on the left seems to either have a clipping issue or is stuck in the sand
Old 2012-02-04, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
Ah, gotcha - you need not worry, we keep the plastic wrap away from the art folks. That look came from the first few generations of complex shader tech, where people took special care to over-use it (OooOoo! SHINY!) - because they could.

Guess I'm not crazy after all.
Old 2012-02-04, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
Hehe appreciate your confirmation.

But I've got a question I'd like to tell you here. The ground textures thus far look pretty, for sure, but felt rather flat, not bumpy. I personally don't care about it at all in PS2, but when thinking about EQnext's graphic it boggles my mind a bit.
Old 2012-02-05, 05:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Levente View Post
And people tend to forget that this is PC exclusiv title, no console hardware is holding the devs back to make high detailed meshes and make everything dynamic such as the lightning. Last true pc title was Crysis 1.
An MMO is supposed to cater for a broad audience with a range of different specs; not people who have money to upgrade their system with a faster graphics card/CPU/RAM every two years to keep up with the latest games.

Last edited by Hyncharas; 2012-02-05 at 05:24 AM.
Old 2012-02-07, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Im all for change where improvement is needed, and most of the issues ive heard people having on pod casts and such i mainly disagree with.

But the inventory loadout is something i really enjoyed, as it was the only micro management thing you got to do on PS1, in the vein of other MMORPG's. Whereas i understand this is outdated, im going to miss customising the ammo i carried in my ATV trunk.

Ive got a horrible feeling the new system is going to be exactly like battlefield, steal someones gun and their ammo, keep running. Or chosing a skill that steals ammo from corpses like COD. I loved ripping individual bullets out of inventories, it made me feel like a real war zone scavanger. Ah well who cares, i probably wont even miss it when im sniping NC in the b@lls.
Old 2012-02-12, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #100
That one noob
Sergeant

Someone may have pointed this out already, but that tank in the background to the right, it has a short barrel. Is that the mortar sidegrade?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion