More Police abuse - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I like eggs.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-11, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Re: More Police abuse

If you haven't actually violated any law, and you're patient and polite, nine times out of ten you won't have any issue with them. They're there to do a job that is absolutely necessary and which frankly most of us are too chicken shit to do ourselves. There will always be criminals. I don't care how many drum circles you attend, there will always be rapists, murderers, thieves, con men and drunk drivers. Somebody has to deal with them and we pay taxes to fund the police so they can do it instead of us, and they do a much, much better job at it than we would.

We're not expected to run into a burning building. We're not called on to chase after a maniac with a gun. Nobody calls my ass up to go intervene on some guy punching his wife in his house, and thank goodness for that. All you have to do is watch a few episodes of Cops to understand the bullshit these guys have to put up with from the absolute bottom-rung of civilized society every day, and you wonder why they're dicks to you when you give them attitude.

Think about what a shit job it is. The default position of everyone you meet is going to be wary anxiety or distrustful dislike. Almost nobody is happy to see you, ever, no matter what. It's your job to wrestle that drunken child abuser to the ground, even though he's spitting at you and puking in your squad car, because there's nobody else. Naked dude fighting off demons with a samurai sword on the sidewalk? You and I get to walk away. They don't. And this is their day job. If I got into an argument with some jackass trying to shoplift or whatever, that'd be enough to ruin my day. For them it's another day at the office.

I've been pulled over about a dozen times. Only ever got one ticket, and that's when I accidentally ran a stop sign right in front of a cop (was lost, looking at a map, whoops.) Every other time I've just been polite, explained the situation, owned up to my mistakes, and they usually let me go. I am white, however, so there is that.

My father was a cop for twenty years. I was practically brought up in the station. As I grew older he told me a few secrets of the trade.

Yes, there is a 'real' speed limit that isn't posted, but it changes from time to time to keep people off their guard.

Giving people tickets, citations, or taking them to jail means a lot of work, so the default position of almost every cop is to want to give a warning, unless for some reason or another they can't (such as catching you going 40 mph over the limit or driving drunk or w/e).

He told me that he usually gave warnings to nice people, but anyone who told him he should be out catching 'real' criminals, or that they pay his salary with their taxes, or pretty much anyone who was ever a dick to him, got a ticket.

So be nice, and you'll have no problem. Also, not breaking the law is a great way to not have to deal with them. But I guess that goes without saying.

Hate them all you want Warborn, but if there's a dude breaking into my apartment and I'm holed up in the bathroom with the door locked, it's not your ass I'm calling to bail me out. I don't care how many tae-kwon-do classes you've taken at the Y.
Old 2012-06-13, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Surprise
Private

Originally Posted by DerFurst View Post
Come on War. All the facts presented to you and you still don't want to admit the guy was wrong. I've mentioned many times that the police were hardly mistreating him. Lawfully detained, warrant from the court, all the usual procedure. Their only method of successfully extracting evidence is truly a bit nasty, but that's the fault of modern medicine, not the police. If you think that catheterization is stripping human rights, wait until you get a prostate exam.

If the cops had beaten the guy up, ripped his pants off then kicked him until he pissed on the ground, then you could yell "POLEECEE STATEEEE!!!" Those are violations of human rights. If he's afraid of getting a tube stuck in his wee-wee for medicinal reasons, he should have filed his lawsuit against the hospital. So until officers wear funny hats and say "I have the powers of police, judge, jury and executioner" or "I am the law!", we won't be living in a police state.
Still the fact remains an oral swish or blood test is much less invasive then a forced catheterization. It is cruel and unusual to forcibly cath for a drug test.

Edit:just google Kelly Thomas, Danzinger Bridge, Jose Guerena, Tony Arambula, Doug Zerby, Derrick Lopez

Last edited by Surprise; 2012-06-13 at 01:54 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DerFurst View Post
Their only method of successfully extracting evidence is truly a bit nasty, but that's the fault of modern medicine, not the police. If you think that catheterization is stripping human rights, wait until you get a prostate exam.
Thing is though, a prostate exam is only performed under consent and with good reason.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
We aren't quite here yet...
I can't believe they're actually doing a remake of this movie.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
I can't believe they're actually doing a remake of this movie.
I just watched Judge Dredd and good god they need to get rid of that shitty comic relief guy with hideous acting.
Otherwise it was a pretty average movie with a kickass intro.

To the thread.

In my opinion forcing a tube up a guys penis just to check whether he had marijuana on him? That is cruel and unusual and it does not match the seriousness of the crime.
Old 2012-06-13, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Rob Schneider. He's a terrible actor. Then again, it's starring Rocky Balboa as Judge Dredd.
Old 2012-06-19, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I think a police force is one thing that I would be willing to have left open to the free market. The government-run police services invariably become bastions of corruption and abuse, where even if it's video taped and witnessed by many people the cops often get off with just a slap on the wrist. I think if people had several private police services competing for the money, society would be better off. Training standards would be higher, there'd be less tolerance for corruption and abuse on the street level, and the Blue Code of Silence would cease to exist.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-06-19 at 09:11 AM.
Old 2012-06-19, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

I think a police force is one thing that I would be willing to have left open to the free market. The government-run police services invariably become bastions of corruption and abuse, where even if it's video taped and witnessed by many people the cops often get off with just a slap on the wrist. I think if people had several private police services competing for the money, society would be better off. Training standards would be higher, there'd be less tolerance for corruption and abuse on the street level, and the Blue Code of Silence would cease to exist.
No thanks.
Old 2012-06-19, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Vash02
Major

That's very naive of you, War. If a competitive health care industry produced what America has right now, I'd doubt it would do better with a competitive law enforcement industry.
Old 2012-06-19, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Lol, the government is the reason our health system is in the shitter.

Old 2012-06-19, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Lol, the government is the reason our health system is in the shitter.
Partly, its also another reason why private law enforcement wont work. It wont be truly private if there is going to be government money involved. That money is going to come with strings attached.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum