There's an element to PS2's "simplification" that isn't about attracting casuals - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are there no serious quotes up here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-08, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
wraithverge
Sergeant

Re: There's an element to PS2's "simplification" that isn't about attracting casuals

Originally Posted by WorldOfForms View Post
Yes, I remember, but the number on launch was bigger than what we have now:

PS2

Liberator
MBTs
Heavy Air Cav
Sunderer
Galaxy
Lightning
Quad

PS1
Reaver
Mosquito
MBTs
Sundy
Gal
Buggies
Deliverers
Lightning
Quads
ANT
AMS
Did I miss something?

I know that part of the reduced number is reducing redundancy, but clearly another element is less dev time modeling and designing separate assets.
uhh... I think you have it wrong, no offense meant, but there is a flaw in your logic. I'll do a quick comparison just on the air cav vehicles.

PS1
Reaver
Mosquito

PS2
main air, versions which can be effectively new vehicles, standard anti air, loadout front gun, anti ground rockets.

Now each of these combinations is a new type of air cav compared to ps1.

nose: anti air, anti ground, anti infantry, 3
pods: anti air, anti ground, anti infantry, 3
Additions confirmed: ejection seat one, ejection seat two, chaff/flares, regen kit, 4.

this leaves 3*3*4 different combinations with no repeats. So effectively ps2 has 28 different air cav alone, while ps1 had two.

Main argument against this: ps1 had different stats.
This is invalidated by the theory that get enough certs and you can unlock stats modifiers, this is confirmed on the lightning, and most likely true for air cav as well.

wasp = slightly faster mosquito with better turns, AA nose cannon, AA missiles less armor.

take main air, AA nose, AA pods, add bail, stat spec, +speed/-armor mod. I believe we have a wasp.

Theoretically, there are infinitely more vehicles in ps2 then ps1, they all just have almost the exact same texture.
Old 2012-06-08, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
WorldOfForms
Corporal

Re: There's an element to PS2's "simplification" that isn't about attracting casuals

Originally Posted by wraithverge View Post
uhh... I think you have it wrong, no offense meant, but there is a flaw in your logic. I'll do a quick comparison just on the air cav vehicles.

PS1
Reaver
Mosquito

PS2
main air, versions which can be effectively new vehicles, standard anti air, loadout front gun, anti ground rockets.

Now each of these combinations is a new type of air cav compared to ps1.

nose: anti air, anti ground, anti infantry, 3
pods: anti air, anti ground, anti infantry, 3
Additions confirmed: ejection seat one, ejection seat two, chaff/flares, regen kit, 4.

this leaves 3*3*4 different combinations with no repeats. So effectively ps2 has 28 different air cav alone, while ps1 had two.

Main argument against this: ps1 had different stats.
This is invalidated by the theory that get enough certs and you can unlock stats modifiers, this is confirmed on the lightning, and most likely true for air cav as well.

wasp = slightly faster mosquito with better turns, AA nose cannon, AA missiles less armor.

take main air, AA nose, AA pods, add bail, stat spec, +speed/-armor mod. I believe we have a wasp.

Theoretically, there are infinitely more vehicles in ps2 then ps1, they all just have almost the exact same texture.
I was talking about dev time to develop something. It takes more time to design two entirely different aircraft than to design two aircraft that are slightly different.

This is man-hours I'm talking about. Developing a Scythe and the PS2 Reaver is different from the PS1 Mosquito and the PS1 reaver. They are different classes of aircraft.

It takes fewer man-hours to create a single customizable vehicle than to create two separate vehicles. It takes more time to create two classes of vehicle rather than one class that has slightly different characteristics.

Sure, from an art standpoint the three PS2 aircraft models took more work than the two models from PS1, but from a design and balance standpoint, that's totally different.

Regardless, talking aircraft is just cherry-picking. Consider that PS2 doesn't have vehicle enter/exit animations, and the devs said it would take 6 months to do those. That's considering animations on far fewer models of vehicles than PS1 had.

I'm trying to look at the overall picture of dev time and cost. Clearly they had to cut corners for the F2P model, but I'm saying that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 2012-06-08, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
kaffis
Contributor
Major

It's also worth noting that the amount of development time put into PS1's continents was probably pretty low. They land was all procedurally generated. PS2 is handcrafting continents.
Old 2012-06-08, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

I think SOE is going to be making money right out of the gate with PS2. In fact, I can tell you that PS2 has already generated some revenue from myself. The day I heard about the PS2 I resubbed to PS1. I've had my sub running on PS1 for about 10 months now.

When the PS2 store goes live, I'm going to reallocate that $15 a month to PS2. If they sell merch, I'm buying that too.

I know I'm not the only one.

SOE is going to be raking in money wth this beast.
Old 2012-06-08, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

There's also the fact that the development time and cost for high fidelity graphics and gameplay is much much higher than it was in 2003. Making a continent Like Indar is probably equivalent to the amount of work it would take to make 30 continents in PS1.
Old 2012-06-08, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by CViolet View Post
There's also the fact that the development time and cost for high fidelity graphics and gameplay is much much higher than it was in 2003. Making a continent Like Indar is probably equivalent to the amount of work it would take to make 30 continents in PS1.
I might not say 30 :P but hyperbole is ok and this is generally very true. Making high quality games gets more and more expensive; you need bigger teams meaning more wages, higher fidelity graphics which have a longer production cycle, a lot more hardware testing due to a much larger pool of availability, the larger scale required a completely new high end game engine to be built, etc.

Expensive, time consuming, and difficult. Here's a great T-Ray quote pulled from an MMORPG interview he did at E3:

Planetside 2 is an evolving game. It is never "done." It is always something that we can continue to make better, and if people give us feedback we can implement that feedback if it is for the betterment of the game.
Sums it up nicely.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Just a quick note, but the Liberator was not included in PS1 at launch.

Another note, but something like the Deliverer variants were counted as separate vehicles in the first Planetside, so by that definition, Planetside has a lot more vehicles than the first game. But I'll be the first to admit that those aren't really new vehicles.

I would certainly argue that ES vehicles count towards the unique vehicle number. So while PS2 is lacking the 4 buggies (at PS1 launch), the addition of the Scythe does lighten this loss a tiny bit.

The actual number is lower, but the effective roles have not been reduced much. I'd rather have fewer vehicles that were more useful than have a bunch of vehicles with marginal usefulness. Prefer a Harasser to your ES buggy in the first game? Tweak the handling of your buggy to match what you want in PS2. Want an AA buggy? Toss an AA gun on your buggy. Of course PS2 doesn't have buggies, but I'd love to see them added post launch. The same idea still applies to other vehicles. Enough customization makes them play like radically different vehicles for the most part.

I don't doubt that they are consolidating vehicles together to save on development time, but I don't think that's inherently bad or dumbing the game down. I think there are other legitimate upshots to both combining some of them, as well as to the extensive customization options they are implementing to help compensate for the losses.

Besides, as others have mentioned, there is lots of time post release to add all sorts of new vehicles. I have little doubt that Planetside will far exceed the current number of PS1 vehicles within a couple years at most, even if you count things like the deliverer variants from PS1 as separate vehicle but only consider unique chassis to be new vehicles in PS2.

I believe that PS2 will have as much depth or more than the first game currently has by the time PS2 officially launches, and I believe that the depth will grow as the game continues to generate money and receive well thought out updates. Beta may still have some kinks, but between the awesome and attentive dev team and the dedicated fan base, I think we'll get it all hammered out before release.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-09 at 12:01 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion