Disapointed in the lack of persistance in Planetside. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Idle hands tend to lead to the genitals
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-02, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Disapointed in the lack of persistance in Planetside.

I enjoy playing Planetside, I really do. But when it comes down to it, the game is largely unsatisfying.
The largest problem I have is that there is nothing world changing. I log on, do the same thing everyday. It's like a shoving match, you push into 1 continent, the other empire pushs back. And that's really it.

The most compelling things about Planetside is it's technical side. No, not those horrible FPS, it's the large maps, the ability to have so many people fighting in 1 area, etc. But that's it, and this is what I find extremely disapointing.

What I am looking for is more persistance in the world. This doesn't mean changes pertaining to graphics and such, it's more empire specific.

I would love to log on one day to find out my empire has achieved the ultimate goal, some sort of ultimate enhancement to vehicles, weapons, etc.

A fortress/base like concept would be awesome. I just want it to be different daily, is this so hard to do in Planetside?

What does everyone think, I've essentially been doing the same thing since I bought the game in may. Hack a base, take over a base. Please post your thoughts here.

PS- This is my repost from the regular boards. I wanted to start the discussion over here as well. Just do me a favor, don't go ape shit on me and tell me to quit if I don't like it. I like the game a lot, just find it to less fullfilling than it should be.

Last edited by Valcron; 2003-11-03 at 12:24 AM.
Old 2003-11-02, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Searo
Second Lieutenant

"It's an FPS, you shoot people, you blow shit up, what more do you want?"
-Hamma
Old 2003-11-03, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Searo
"It's an FPS, you shoot people, you blow shit up, what more do you want?"
-Hamma

Searo,

I've seen Hamma's comment before. There is a vast difference between me spending 12.99 a month on a game and me buying a game like half life and playing it's mods for over 5 years.

I expect something VERY different.

Essentially nothing has changed, look deep down into the core of what planetside is. You take over a base, you lose a base. It's a tug of war, back and forth.
Old 2003-11-02, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Lise
Second Lieutenant

I've heard this mentioned before... the thing is, what kind of permanence can you really imagine? If it's harder to break cont locks, then the game will simply stagnate.

I don't quite understand what you mean by a "fortress" concept...

Really, I'm all for more clearly making a difference, but how to do that without completely nixing game-flow is beyond me.
Old 2003-11-02, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
BDMJ
First Sergeant

They could periodically introduce some new ability for an empire temporarily, and give opposing empires a certain timeframe to do something regarding it.

I.E. The TR have a new tech being tested on ceryshen, all prowlers produced by pinga have a %30 rof bonus. The NC or VS must take over ceryshen to prevent this tech from going into mass production. If the TR successfully defend ceryshen from enemy lock for a certain time period, say 24 hours, then every TR gets a 30k xp bonus at the days end. If the TR fail to defend ceryshen, then the empire that locks it gets 30k xp for each person.

-or-

A new shield module has been discovered in the hossin caverns that transmits its benefits like flb. It has a 48 hour lifespan. The empire that holds it the longest gets 60k xp at the end of the module's life. If it is destroyed, it respawns in a random cavern.

Things like these would shake the game up, and offer real objectives other than territory gain and daily win.
Old 2003-11-02, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Lise
Second Lieutenant

That's "shake-ups", though, BDMJ. Val's talking about a sense of "permanence," the feeling as though you're actually accomplishing something.

Again, I'm open to ideas on how such a thing would be accomplished, but I can't see any that wouldn't end up wrecking gameplay.
Old 2003-11-03, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lise
That's "shake-ups", though, BDMJ. Val's talking about a sense of "permanence," the feeling as though you're actually accomplishing something.

Again, I'm open to ideas on how such a thing would be accomplished, but I can't see any that wouldn't end up wrecking gameplay.

Lise, I don't pretend to have all of the answers. I and many others have given the suggestions for something long term. Some sort of long term benefit for an empire.

The thing is, it could be multiple long term benefits. Not just one thing out there.

For instance:

The TR could have captured Ancient Technology that Enchances their Flying vehicles

The NC could have captured a Sphere the increases their stamina regeneration.

The Vanu could have captured an Ancient Weapons enhancer that makes their shots stronger.

Put neutral continents in the game that are difficult to capture. Have dynamically changing bases in them. One big giant fortress that empires fight over to capture a very important piece of technology.

Extremely large scale warfare where it would REQUIRE you to be more organized than just piggy backing these little modules around. Something that could REALLY signficantly effect the way your empire performs.

This is off the top of my head. Add in more dynamic content, persistance. Feeling like I were a part of something bigger as being a New Congolmerate soldier.

Just, after 4+ months now of doing the same thing is stale. CC hasn't changed that, it just adds a little different twist to it.
Old 2003-11-03, 12:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Valcron
Master Sergeant

e
Old 2003-11-02, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Spider
General

I can resume this thread in two words...

Planetside sucks!
Old 2003-11-02, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Spider
I can resume this thread in two words...

Planetside sucks!
Don't troll please. Thanks.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-11-02, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
BDMJ
First Sergeant

Yes, my ideas are not as long term as what Valcron seems to want, but I don't think truely long term content could be implemented without wrecking game balance. My proposed ideas give temporary objectives that generate a sense of accomplishment, a limited sense of persistance, and a definite goal.
Old 2003-11-03, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by BDMJ
Yes, my ideas are not as long term as what Valcron seems to want, but I don't think truely long term content could be implemented without wrecking game balance. My proposed ideas give temporary objectives that generate a sense of accomplishment, a limited sense of persistance, and a definite goal.

BDMJ. Maybe a truly persistant world change couldn't actually take effect. But, maybe I'm speaking more of something lasting weeks, not just days here.

There has to be something better out there that we fight over. Not just bases, but something different.

What if the world could actually reset after a certain number of things happened? What if we were to capture X amount of enemy continents that the world leaders of the Vanu and TR were to concede the war and have a reset? The end result would be home continents would change. Imagine NC's home continent being Oshur, and the Vanu's cyssor?

Just a thought.
Old 2003-11-02, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Anyway I think this is a great topic, I too would like to have some large scale goal.. what BDMJ is interesting but like Lise said its not "persistant" more like a temporary goal.

This will be a great topic for our community night I think. And a great topic for our developer interview as well. It is an FPS, but it is an MMO, it should be a bit more persistant than it currently is.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-11-03, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma
Anyway I think this is a great topic, I too would like to have some large scale goal.. what BDMJ is interesting but like Lise said its not "persistant" more like a temporary goal.

This will be a great topic for our community night I think. And a great topic for our developer interview as well. It is an FPS, but it is an MMO, it should be a bit more persistant than it currently is.

Hamma,

I would like to bring more stimulating thought to the boards now. I hope Dallas and Sporkfire read these threads.

I'm just getting a little burned out lately on the repetitivness and I hope they took this feedback seriously.
Old 2003-11-02, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Black
Lieutenant Colonel

I think to add a different kind of thing is that every week they should switch around the home cont links to different ones

BTW nice thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion