Another PlanetSide? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pimp tested. Whore approved.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-04-27, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Exclamation Another PlanetSide?

http://planetside-universe.com/index.php?newsid=1200

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2005-04-27, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

This is sounding like a really bad move, PS has limitless potential right now
Old 2005-05-06, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sabinius
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Jeffey
This is sounding like a really bad move, PS has limitless potential right now
maybe if they didnt decide to FUCK UP on planetside with monkeys as developers

they better not fuck the next one up

but then again, they are evil

If you push hard enough, it'll fit.
Old 2005-05-06, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kam
Major

Planetside failed because it sat completely stagnant for so long. There were no attempts at engine upgrades and bugs that should have been fixed in the first week were around a year later. Then all of a sudden the devs kicked in and released CC and AS when they didn't test anything and caused hundreds of people to quit. Then again with the release of WoW and EQ2 more people left, entire oufits infact. (I saw three go, adding up to more than 200 people.) Finally there was the compete lack of PS advertising on the scale that new games should get, for instance I still see stuff for the original EQ on TV. So this is a very good move for SOE. Planetside is fun sometimes, but it is past its prime.
Old 2005-04-27, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
NorrinRadd
Private

I think its a great move. A new version of Planetside or a New MMOFPS would be awesome.

1) Taking advantage of new technologies the game can only be better
2) Creating a PS2 or a New game by learning from the mistakes of Planetside could only mean a better game
3) PLUS maybe Sony won't treat this game like a red-headed-stepchild when it comes to marketting
4) YEAH PS's dwindling population and its potential demise is a bummer BUT imagine all the old Auraxians retuning for an even better MMOFPS. I have returned from a year's leave. I have played CoH and WoW and I still yearned for the action, commradery, true MMO experience of PS.
Old 2005-04-27, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Yeh, i remember hearing that this year they were goinf to amp up PS marketing due to the player based campaign, but i havent seen anything in the US. Granted the free trial giveaway to Europe in a game mag was awesome, but we didnt see much of it on Emerald.
Old 2005-04-27, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
hex222
Staff Sergeant

aghh, all they said was an action game, it might end up being a jump to lightspeed clone, or some MMORPG without monsters, but a PS2 would be great.

i'm feeling sorta scared, i want a PS2, not a WW2 based FPS or something like that, hell, they haven't even sayed it'll be an FPS OR an MMO...

manicfesto
Old 2005-04-27, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamorad
First Sergeant

Hrmm... i think they should keep it up with this one first... there are more and more people coming in every day.
Old 2005-04-27, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by hex222
aghh, all they said was an action game, it might end up being a jump to lightspeed clone, or some MMORPG without monsters, but a PS2 would be great.

i'm feeling sorta scared, i want a PS2, not a WW2 based FPS or something like that, hell, they haven't even sayed it'll be an FPS OR an MMO...
Sorry For Double Post...

According to CNN Money, This will be an MMO, and it will be an FPS, and it will not be ww2. Accroding to this report "Rather than sticking with the swords and sorcery that have served it so faithfully for the past six years, though, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) is focusing on more modern weapons this time around", so it will be modern. They make refernces to planetside in ths arrticle, and to FPS games, so this should indicate it will be a FPS

linakge
Old 2005-04-27, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
internetn
Sergeant Major

Great.. but I don't think I'll be able to fit another MMO under my belt.. But I wouldn't expect it for another 2-3 years..

http://www.lastknights.com/index.php?action=register&ref_id=5639

Old 2005-04-27, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

This is a smart move by SOE. Every MMO eventually dies no matter how much new content you add or bug fixing you do. People lose interest and move on to the newest thing. I think Planetside's lifecycle will be just about ending by the time this new MMO is released and lots of people will just transfer over to it.
Old 2005-04-27, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

What I want in this upcoming Action Game:
1)Be an FPS
2)Be Sci-Fi (most fun)

What I want Improved
1)MARKETING!
2)Graphics
3)Physics
4)Game play variety
5)More Everything; Weapons, Vehicles, Fighting zones
6)More overall variety
7)Harder progression tree

Why they shouldnt do this:
1)Current PS is pretty good
2)Hardcore players like it

Do I think they should release it?
Yes. Considering that it will release late 2006 early 2007, I will have the required tech to run it. All points of PS need to be revamped. New MMOFPS FTW.
Old 2005-04-27, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
KIAsan
First Sergeant

Well, it is now starting to make some sense. I have always wondered why we had such excellant dev support for a game that has undergone such a population decline. Add the absense of marketing, and I see the picture much more clearly now. They are using PS as a testbed for this new game.

Looks like we will have a very good year, until they start pulling resources for this new game. Chances are, PS will reach a point, where they draw the line and stop any future PS development. I imagine we will see new bug fixes and such, but no new content. I don't envision PS going away, just relegated to the "old games" bin (supported, but not very actively).

Additionally, you will probably see a huge population migration (unless they allow you to have PS bundled with this new game). Oh well, will enjoy PS while we have it.

If it's not nailed down, it's mine. If I can pry it up, it's not nailed down.
Old 2005-04-27, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Sounds great to me.

What I would fear is that it will be item focused and will become a crap game where people spend real life money to trade items on SOEs new trade site in order to win.
Old 2005-04-27, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by KIAsan
Well, it is now starting to make some sense. I have always wondered why we had such excellant dev support for a game that has undergone such a population decline. Add the absense of marketing, and I see the picture much more clearly now. They are using PS as a testbed for this new game.

Looks like we will have a very good year, until they start pulling resources for this new game. Chances are, PS will reach a point, where they draw the line and stop any future PS development. I imagine we will see new bug fixes and such, but no new content. I don't envision PS going away, just relegated to the "old games" bin (supported, but not very actively).

Additionally, you will probably see a huge population migration (unless they allow you to have PS bundled with this new game). Oh well, will enjoy PS while we have it.
Exactly. This is just what i thought. Doesnt look like much content is being added at the moment, so i thought something was up. Then we get this announcment, now it makes perfect sense. SOE, must be poring most of the Planetside development activity into this new game, i would be supprised to see Samhayne working on this, along with other current developers... well atleast we will have ammofps from sony, which i most defintley be subscribing to
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion