Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 in 2013? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Info strong, all day long.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-14, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Valkar
Private

Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 in 2013?

Would this work? With SOE due to reveal the details behind the next gen console, I'm wondering if they could pull off the same trick that Microsoft did with Halo on the Xbox.

Thinking about it the PC launch is effectively still very much in developement, but by the end of the year we should have some pretty solid format to go off, just in time forthe big launch of the PS4. So why not have PS2 as the signature FPS game for the new Playstation? A Free to play game more massive in scale than any FPS out there FREE on the very latest console?

This would help with the marketing of the new console which comes with a free game built in whilst possible being the real launch pad for PS2 to becoming a mainstream FPS online game to rival even the mighty Halo and CoD in scale?

I know many PC gamers are very protective and hate the idea of sharing a game with console players but change can be for the better and Sony already tried this format with DC online right?

Thoughts?
Old 2013-01-14, 07:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Valkar
Private

Re: Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 in 2013?

Reply to get my signature on the thread
Old 2013-01-14, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
jsnipy
Private

If it was on the console I doubt would not be free to play ... unless it came with a paid subscription to something - like Playstation Plus, etc.
Old 2013-01-14, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Valkar
Private

Originally Posted by jsnipy View Post
If it was on the console I doubt would not be free to play ... unless it came with a paid subscription to something - like Playstation Plus, etc.
It would be. Its free to play for us so why not console players? They could manage their membership via the usual SOE account page and have that as an app on the conolse itself easily enough.

They would obviously pay any fees for online gaming as a whole like XBox membership if they wanted to but for the game itself and to play for free and its built in as standard, that would be a great selling point for your console.

Think about it, here is a brand now leading gaming console and on top of that we have this huge online FPS Shooter you can play absolutely free of charge when you buy it! Boom sales roll in!
Old 2013-01-14, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
jsnipy
Private

Originally Posted by Valkar View Post
It would be. Its free to play for us so why not console players? They could manage their membership via the usual SOE account page and have that as an app on the conolse itself easily enough.

They would obviously pay any fees for online gaming as a whole like XBox membership if they wanted to but for the game itself and to play for free and its built in as standard, that would be a great selling point for your console.

Think about it, here is a brand now leading gaming console and on top of that we have this huge online FPS Shooter you can play absolutely free of charge when you buy it! Boom sales roll in!
If they were confident people will burn through station cash you might be correct. The console alone makes little if no margin for them.
Old 2013-01-14, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rolfski
Major

I wouldn't be surprised if SOE has developed PS2 with Playstation 4 in mind. There's no reason why next gen consoles would not allow for MMO FPS games.
And F2P is their strategy for all their games anyway.

Would this mean a direct connect between PC and console? Probably not as console players are too much at a disadvantage in FPS. They can work together on a meta level like Eve Online/Dust 514 but that's about it.
Old 2013-01-14, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Valkar
Private

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Would this mean a direct connect between PC and console? Probably not as console players are too much at a disadvantage in FPS. They can work together on a meta level like Eve Online/Dust 514 but that's about it.
What disadvantage is that sorry? You mean for the interface of a keyboard and mouse andall the controls? I think it would be possible for them and some console gamers would certainly hold their own. The control system is not too far from CoD and BF3 vehicles so the capability is there.

If they have not thought about this yet (unlikely I know) then they are missing a trick.
Old 2013-01-14, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

Smed hinted at PS2 coming to console (mind, this was a year or two ago).
Old 2013-01-14, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Valkar
Private

Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Smed hinted at PS2 coming to console (mind, this was a year or two ago).
I remember seeing something a while back but its been quiet since. I hope they do consider it, it would be the right way to really launch PS2 on a global scale and keep populations healthy in size whilst the core fans keep it funded.
Old 2013-01-14, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
PredatorFour
Major

Looking at the way PS2 has turned out to how it could've been, i can really see this on the ps 4.

Planetside 1 was quite complex and would have never worked on playstation. This is ALOT simpler in many ways and could easily be on a console.

And there ARE f2p games on consoles already that work , especially fps's.... Dust 415 anyone??

And it would be the best publicity this game will see if it does. Bet it would even make pc gamers aware of this game and increase pops for us too.

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2013-01-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 2013-01-14, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gortha
First Sergeant

Who cares?

http://z0r.de/1573
Old 2013-01-14, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

I hope not.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-14, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I hope not.
That's an odd response from someone who wants the PS2 community to grow and made a lot of noise to improve the new player experience to a new kind of audience.

Originally Posted by Valkar View Post
What disadvantage is that sorry? You mean for the interface of a keyboard and mouse andall the controls? I think it would be possible for them and some console gamers would certainly hold their own. The control system is not too far from CoD and BF3 vehicles so the capability is there.

If they have not thought about this yet (unlikely I know) then they are missing a trick.
There's a reason console shooters have auto aim. Microsoft tested out combined PC/XBOX PvP shooting years a ago and ditched it for unbalances.
Old 2013-01-14, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

The vast majority of the casual console crowd would get face raped by the moderately skilled PC players on a cross platform server, unless they implement some form of aiming aid or artificial mouse deceleration. At least in infantry combat.

[conspiracy tinfoil hat /on]

However, it certainly would explain some of the less than stellar design choices (especially regarding the UI).
Controllers are actually somewhat useful when it comes to vehicle combat (flight in particular) which could possibly explain yet another design direction we're hearing TONS of lamenting about on the forums.

[conspiracy tinfoil hat /off]
Old 2013-01-14, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rockit
Banned

At one time I thought they could do it. But think about it now, if they cannot optimize the game to run well on top-end PC's then how are they going to manage it on what amounts to a "mid-range" console using AMD APU and integrated graphics? I guess we see how next update improves performance to make the call. It would have to be a cut-down version of the PC game and I am not sure how much more "cut down" it could be? Anyway here is the latest word on the street about next gen releases.

October launch for PS4, next Xbox in November, suggests Baird Equity Research

Having spent CES "with a number of companies involved in video game development and distribution", Baird Equity Research has suggested that new console hardware will retail for $350-$400 in the US.

While not a huge difference from Xbox 360's top end launch price of $399 for the 20GB unit in 2005, it's a significantly lower price than the two PlayStation 3 models that launched at $499 and $599 a year later.

In a note to investors Baird's Colin Sebastian brought together various rumours about the new consoles that have been floating around the games business over the past year, and the assumption that both Sony and Microsoft will reveal their new consoles just prior to E3 in June.

"Given the fragile state of the console game market, we expect the E3 trade show in June will take on added significance, most likely providing the industry with the first public opportunity to examine next-generation hardware," he wrote

Last edited by Rockit; 2013-01-14 at 08:40 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion