Intel or AMD, does it matter? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Disregard that last quote, monkeys hacked my computer.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-12, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Novaa
Private

Intel or AMD, does it matter?

Will your choice of hardware provider affect this game? Nvidia or ATI, AMD or Intel? As you would see with nvidia physx in some games.
Old 2012-10-12, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Intel or AMD, does it matter?

Nvidia is tweaking their drivers specifically for PS2.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-10-12, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kevlar
Private

Yeah, physx alone has made me regret going ATI... borderlands 2 specifically
Old 2012-10-14, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Fanglord
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
Yeah, physx alone has made me regret going ATI... borderlands 2 specifically
I thought the physX fluids/particals looked really bad in borderlands 2, l dunno they jus' seemed out of place.
Old 2012-10-12, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
AThreatToYou
Major

Yes. Intel processors perform better. An intel processor is not needed to enjoy the game and play it well, but it makes a huge difference in how it looks and can give you an edge in some situations. The game is confirmed to use up to 8 cores though.

Video cards, I'm not too sure. Buy the better card, really.
Old 2012-10-13, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
Yes. Intel processors perform better. An intel processor is not needed to enjoy the game and play it well, but it makes a huge difference in how it looks and can give you an edge in some situations. The game is confirmed to use up to 8 cores though.

Video cards, I'm not too sure. Buy the better card, really.
Can you hand me the Source, where this comes from ?
I got a 6 Core 1100T and a 670 @ 30 fps in larger battles
my Friend got a 2500k and a 5850 @ 58 fps in larger battles.

I know ist my Cpu limiting but im very interested in hardware facts, i think about getting a Intel if it does not get any better in the Future, hope the Sony ppl over doe the Game for more optimisation sopmeday but atm they are busy with the Balance and stuff
Old 2012-10-12, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Darkvenom
Private

I have a Sapphire 7950 OC and a Gigabyte GTX 670, both run the game great, but i use the GTX 670 daily and not because of the lameass physx. I love the fact that the GTX 670 has less screen tearing and of course a higher fps....just runs very very smooth. With the 7950 i tend to get more "Planetside 2 beta not responding" messages.

Intel and Nvidia are the way to go for PS2 and i've bought AMD video cards for years.

Last edited by Darkvenom; 2012-10-12 at 02:42 PM.
Old 2012-10-13, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
cHaM
Private

AMD is sadly no longer competitive with Intel or nVidia. They're losing on both fronts.

I'd steer clear of any of their products for now until they start innovating again.
Old 2012-10-13, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Jaybonaut
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by cHaM View Post
AMD is sadly no longer competitive with Intel or nVidia. They're losing on both fronts.

I'd steer clear of any of their products for now until they start innovating again.
Honestly, very little has impressed me since the merger, and I forget how long ago that happened. AMD still makes some good video cards but I'm not a fan of their drivers.
Old 2012-10-13, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Jaybonaut View Post
Honestly, very little has impressed me since the merger, and I forget how long ago that happened. AMD still makes some good video cards but I'm not a fan of their drivers.
AMD APUs are excellent for home theater PCs. The 8 core CPUs are dirt cheap and very competitive video encoding. They also play most normal GPU intensive games really well. So for the low cost segment, they are still competitive in specific uses.

However, for general computing even the Sandy Bridge based dual core Celerons give more bang for the buck than anything AMD brings. And for gaming, the Core i3 3220 beats the whole AMD line up, let alone any of the Core i5 line up which beats the i3 by 30% or more in most games.

Google benchmarks or have a look at Anandtech, X-bit Labs, or Toms Hardware, etc. for statistics on this stuff.
Old 2012-10-14, 01:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Jaybonaut
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
AMD APUs are excellent for home theater PCs. The 8 core CPUs are dirt cheap and very competitive video encoding. They also play most normal GPU intensive games really well. So for the low cost segment, they are still competitive in specific uses.

However, for general computing even the Sandy Bridge based dual core Celerons give more bang for the buck than anything AMD brings. And for gaming, the Core i3 3220 beats the whole AMD line up, let alone any of the Core i5 line up which beats the i3 by 30% or more in most games.

Google benchmarks or have a look at Anandtech, X-bit Labs, or Toms Hardware, etc. for statistics on this stuff.
You don't have to convince me, because this is what I am using:

i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3

SAMSUNG 830 Series 256GB SSD

WD VelociRaptor 1 TB

EVGA Superclocked, Signature 2 GTX 680
Old 2012-10-13, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
EVILoHOMER
Major

AMD CPUs suck but their GPUs are great, sadly their drivers suck putting them behind Nvidia.

So just go Intel + Nvidia.

The Bulldozer CPU is a good server CPU or for media encoding but it's not good for games. The thing overclocks to 5ghrz on air though, AMD just need to work on single core performance, Linux makes better use of it than Windows, I'd expect Windows 8 to make better use of it than 7.

Last edited by EVILoHOMER; 2012-10-13 at 04:46 AM.
Old 2012-10-13, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

This game I would not go anything less than a Core i5 quad core from Intel. You are shooting yourself in the foot otherwise. For video cards I haven't had any performance issues with my 7950 in this game and it was far faster compared to my 560 Ti.
Old 2012-10-13, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Zalastax
Private

My friend have big problems with this game and AMD. 12FPS is his normal value. I think they need to work on that. Maybe they are using Intel compilers that generate code that is only fast on Intel processors.

You say that quad i5 is necessary, what about 2.33 Core 2 Quad? Can't test yet since I wait for Beta key.
Old 2012-10-13, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Kail
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zalastax View Post
My friend have big problems with this game and AMD. 12FPS is his normal value. I think they need to work on that. Maybe they are using Intel compilers that generate code that is only fast on Intel processors.

You say that quad i5 is necessary, what about 2.33 Core 2 Quad? Can't test yet since I wait for Beta key.
Intel's Core i series just kicks a lot of ass is all it amounts to, and AMD hasn't had a good answer to it yet. For graphics I'm currently using an ATI HD 6900 series card, and while it's run great ever since I got it, it is noticeable that most games are tailored to nvidia (DX: Human Revolution was a nice change of pace in that regard).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion