Surge timer - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tastes Great!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-26, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Surge timer

In case you have not noticed, Devs have put a .5 second timer on activating/deactivating surge. For one it is amazingly obnoxious, and two, it is certain to get you killed if you even try to use surge within a close proximity or anything else.

In a world of <1 second ttk's .5 seconds to wait BEFORE you get to WAIT MORE for the weapon-draw animation is just plain overkill. Oh wait, the devs can never go part way, they always overnerf/buff.

If it was an instant switch off I could probably manage, but as is there is no point in even having surge as an implant. But wait! I can "travel" with it! Fear its usefulness.

Planetside is already turning into rexoside, I logged off last night with more than 5 times as many Rexo kills as agile, I don't even want to imagine what its going to be like after this.

"Hey slow down so I can hit you."
Never mind you have twice my armor.
Old 2004-03-26, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
DropShipEdward
Contributor
Corporal

i'm too laggy to notice it, so i dont care much, just get to hear people complain about
Old 2004-03-26, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Feel me pity the poor little noobhammer surgile....feel it...feel it.....was it good for you?
Old 2004-03-26, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Cryptica
First Sergeant

*sigh* I think that the surge implant fix is slightly less important than some other gameplay issues, but it deserves some attention. As for Eldanesh's comment about always overnerfing/buffing, yeah its true but its really hard for them to find something that makes sense, doesn't totally rework the code, and pleases everyone. Eventually they'll find a happy medium, but until then I suggest you stop blaming all your gaming problems on the devs and start thanking them for giving you a game to play at all.
Old 2004-03-26, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

naybe they should of just put the 5 second timer when turning off? And have instant turn on?

At leased it will be useful for running away.

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-03-26, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

I've always, ALWAYS (as in a few months after release to today) had far far farfffsaernanra many more rexo kills than anything else. It's just how it's gonna go. In a war most people want to be beefier than more agile. It makes sense. However I think Agile should get a speed buff (half way between current surge and current agile?) so that there's any point in using it over rexo.
Old 2004-03-26, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I think nerfing hotdropping would have been enough...

Old 2004-03-26, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
JakeLogan
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
I think nerfing hotdropping would have been enough...
Yeah and kill the galaxy alltogether.
Old 2004-03-26, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
UncleDynamite
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by JakeLogan
Yeah and kill the galaxy alltogether.
Isn't the intent of nerfing the HART is to help the Galaxy, seeing that the HART has made it more or less useless?
Old 2004-03-26, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

He said nerf hotdropping, not the HART. You know when those surgile bastards hop out of a skeeter to get on top of a tower? That kinda shit. I personally wouldn't have minded the devs changing the way bailing from the pilots seat of aircraft works, since that was definently one of the bullshit things surgile could do, but I think it would be too much now.
Old 2004-03-26, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by BigFreak
so that there's any point in using it over rexo.
There is a point in using Agile instead of Rexo. The ability to get in and out of 90% of the vehicles driver position. Infantry should be in rexo or a max, and cavalry should mostly be in agile.
Old 2004-03-26, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Acaila
First Lieutenant

Standard armour for the win.
Old 2004-03-26, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Eldanesh
"Hey slow down so I can hit you."
It's more like "Stop warping so I can hit you".

In games like Quake and Unreal individual players can move at faster speeds and have it be just a skill/accuracy deal. In a game play PlanetSide where you have more than just 2 teams with 8-12 players on each team hardware, code, and connectivity lag rocket up exponentially.

I for one am completley sick of fighting in a tower and seeing someone round a corner and vanish and appear on the ceiling, floor, behind me, to the side of me, etc... and I have to guess where he is to attempt a hit. This is not a match up of skill. This is a battle of guesswork... except that the surgile does not see the other player warp... so it's a one sided exploit.

Yeah, I called it an exploit. No one reading the PSU forums can pretend they don't know that surging in a fight causes warping for the enemies you are facing. And complaining about FREE armor not matching up well against armor that costs 3 full certification points is another point falling on deaf ears with me.

Personally, I think Surge should just go. There are better implants they could come up with that don't tempt the masses to use a cheap exploit to get kills.

Last edited by BadAsh; 2004-03-26 at 01:14 PM.
Old 2004-03-26, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Well see then you start to irk people when you call for the removal of surge. As some of do not and will never get and use HA, but still use surge. There are some people who are dedicated cloakers and grunt infantry. We have no vehical certs. When i want to cross a cont. i would rather be able to move faster as a cloaker to spawn hop from base to base. And also i comes in handy for the escape situation when you get picked up on DL.

I, in late, have only been using REXO for defense, not offense. I find the lighter armour to allow more flexibilty and mobility. Putting on a REXO after that feels like slogging through mud. I would much rather use lighter armour, but sometimes thats just not an option. Lately i have gotten more and more lag which does not allow me to skip carefree with only 100 armour. REXO keeps me alive longer when my frames hit 1.4-8.

Being NC i still think its pretty shitty when someone uses the surgile trick to get kills. but there is a difference when surging around them firing with a weapon than there is when you cannot be hit or seen as you bounce around the screen. Circle fighting someone as a cloaker with an AMP whike having surge turned on is not abuse. I dont care what you say, that is a great use for it. Perhaps you have seen the Reveller Pronce of Darkness video? They manage to do that quite effectively. I dont want to start or turh this into a buff the cloaker thread as that has been over done. But even if ever so small, this will nerf it a tad more.

So in summation, it sucks that soon no weapons will be out when surge is in use, but oh well you adapt.
Old 2004-03-26, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Adapt we shall and this WILL change how agile is used most definatly. I admit, I once used surge to give me the exploit that a lot of people do use. Yes, it is avalible to all people in the game. Thats the beauty of Surge and it's very effective. Lots of good players get surgile to get kills, and I really could care less, whatever floats their boats but I don't. At least not agile.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion