Orbital Strike and PS2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The Terran Rebublic, its not just for Dinner anymore.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-28, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Vetto
Staff Sergeant

Orbital Strike and PS2

Have they said if OS will perhaps be on a faction based timer? Cause frankly It needs to be.. just got done playing a match were I counted 5 OS in a 10 min period all be it 1 was a VS were 4 were NC to be blunt it was freaking insane.

TR was stuck in there base unable to get a any massive move out cause the moment we try and get mounted up another OS come down.

((Since the old one was locked))

Last edited by Vetto; 2012-05-28 at 11:52 PM.
Old 2012-05-28, 11:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: Orbital Strike and PS2

You cant have something like that locked to a timer per faction. its to open to exploits and n00bs getting a hold of it and not making the proper use of it. you could have an outfit/individual timer sure and require xx generated XP/resources per strike to use, but not faction.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-05-28 at 11:49 PM.
Old 2012-05-29, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Nabeshin
Private

I am guessing that they will lock a timer to an account as well in addition to whatever else they do. Current state of PS1 has people with multi CR5's that can just spam OS's. Even if it would take a long time I can see people making multi chars just to have throw away OS's.

That aside, I can about imagine how insane an OS in PS2 is going to be with the massive pops, I'd shit myself if I watched one waste 100+ people.
Old 2012-05-29, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Vetto
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nabeshin View Post
I am guessing that they will lock a timer to an account as well in addition to whatever else they do. Current state of PS1 has people with multi CR5's that can just spam OS's. Even if it would take a long time I can see people making multi chars just to have throw away OS's.

That aside, I can about imagine how insane an OS in PS2 is going to be with the massive pops, I'd shit myself if I watched one waste 100+ people.
But see that my point I think the OS was made to stop stale mates were nether side can really advance and not with the idea of having 5-10 going odd preventing any kind of rebound.
Old 2012-05-29, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Vetto View Post
But see that my point I think the OS was made to stop stale mates were nether side can really advance and not with the idea of having 5-10 going odd preventing any kind of rebound.
they were meant to make a advances, preventing a counter strike is a form of strategy like any other...i mean they could always make OS worse by making them a bigger radius....
Old 2012-05-29, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sirisian
Colonel

I am guessing that they will lock a timer to an account as well in addition to whatever else they do.
The resource system opens up a system for simple delays without timers. That is if a player can get say 100 of a certain resource per hour and it costs 400 individual resources to use an OS then you have a natural time delay. Especially as it forces a commander or whoever wants to use it to sacrifice not getting vehicles or other stuff in order to "save up". (The possible resource models have been discussed to death in other threads about caps and other ideas to make this a viable strategy).

I'd personally prefer a bomber loadout with a nuke though. The way orbital strikes worked in PS1 was extremely indirect.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-05-29 at 12:14 AM.
Old 2012-05-29, 12:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Nabeshin
Private

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
The resource system opens up a system for simple delays without timers. That is if a player can get say 100 of a certain resource per hour and it costs 400 individual resources to use an OS then you have a natural time delay. Especially as it forces a commander or whoever wants to use it to sacrifice not getting vehicles or other stuff in order to "save up". (The possible resource models have been discussed to death in other threads about caps and other ideas to make this a viable strategy).
You have to remember this is a persistant game, resources are going to be plentiful at some point, then people could just spam them anyway. Can't really rely on a cost based prevention.
Old 2012-05-29, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

You have to remember this is a persistant game, resources are going to be plentiful at some point, then people could just spam them anyway. Can't really rely on a cost based prevention.
By the looks of the video, each resource is capped at 5000, except the green currency resource. though by the looks of it 5000 is alot.

Id imagine though that players with a high survival rate could buildup a stockpile of resources...classic case of the rich getting richer.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-29, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Nabeshin
Private

Not to mention how many people are going to cert all the commander type stuff. You will see even more OS's in PS2 then you did in PS1 if you have 2k odd people, and if 50-100 of them can OS (eventually) based on resources that will be a mess. Then allow them to save up by not using vehicals and let them do it several times, it gets even worse.
Old 2012-05-29, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

I'd personally prefer a bomber loadout with a nuke though. The way orbital strikes worked in PS1 was extremely indirect.
This x1000. Orbital Strikes require 0 skill to use (yeah you have to be CR5, big deal), whereas a bomber could be shot down. I'd like to see a bomber with a nuke be implemented where you spawn a bomber at a tech plant, and immediately a warning comes up on the map so that the enemy can intercept and destroy the bomber. Would add more skill because you'd need a a fleet of fighters to help protect the bomber while it made its way to the drop zone.
Old 2012-05-29, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Atheosim
Captain

Also remember that certing deeply in the command skill tree restricts you from certing a lot in other trees. I'm not sure everybody will want to give up combat/support abilities just to use an occasional OS.
Old 2012-05-29, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bags
Lieutenant General

I'd hate it if they got rid of the iconic charging sky beam of death for a vehicle delivered nuke or airstrike.
Old 2012-05-29, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I'd hate it if they got rid of the iconic charging sky beam of death for a vehicle delivered nuke or airstrike.
i mentioned it awhile back during an AGN night, where they has empire specific OS, like VS get like a beam, NC get a MAC round and TR get a heavy artillery strike with like 4 or 5 rounds.
Old 2012-05-29, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sirisian
Colonel

If you think people are not going to max on resources at some point you are lieing to yourself. Reguardless of the cap amount. I am sure other things will use resources, but you are going to have people that play this and almost never spawn a vehical or avoid spending anything. So unless SoE FORCES you to waste them on things, people will max out.

9 years made a ton of CR5's, it will happen in PS2 eventually as well. So they are going to have to limit how OS's are used and how often. It could be as simple as putting a 1 week timer on it after you fire it, also makes you not want to waste it on something retarded, like TKing your own empire...... Or it could be more involved and complex like meeting certain conditions before one can be used.
I'm trying to think if the damage caused by someone saving up and grinding to launch multiple of them within a certain period of time would be that dangerous. I mean I'm comparing this to say pulling multiple tanks for the same resources. Say a tank usually gets you 2 kills (low number) and an OS gets you 20, but it costs 10 times as much as a tank?

This is generally how I'm balancing things.
Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Oh I've explained a long time ago what I want. Basically when I say "nuke" I just mean a weapon dropped from a bomber from a high altitude. So basically it would only arm after a certain distance. Basically it would charge like an OS before detonating. Same thing just a different way to look at it.
Old 2012-05-29, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Nabeshin
Private

I'm trying to think if the damage caused by someone saving up and grinding to launch multiple of them within a certain period of time would be that dangerous. I mean I'm comparing this to say pulling multiple tanks for the same resources. Say a tank usually gets you 2 kills (low number) and an OS gets you 20, but it costs 10 times as much as a tank?
If it was just one person doing it, it would not be a big deal at all. But the problem is you could potentially have 100+ people doing it, then it becomes something that is really going to start pissing people off. OS needs to be what it was when PS1 only had a few CR5's.

But even though we are discussing it on the forums now, we just don't know what will happen during live. I can see the OS as being something that will need to be tuned more as the game progresses. If they get out of hand, something will likely be done about it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion