Devs: Engineers Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: nine out of ten cannibals recommend it!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Devs: Someone else Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's.

What are your thoughts?

After watching the video from yesterday 3 times and thinking about organized play...

Light Assault troops should be short term troops that get in quick and hard to reach places to clear the way or scout for actual hard hitting shock troops whereas they then pull back and regoup being thin skinned etc.

Giving them ammo packs however will promote lone rambo's to fly up on ridges/inaccessible areas & sit forever with unlimited ammo and just try & fire for kills. Ammo is then not being distributed to the below players near the objective who need it.

You saw even in the livstream video Max's and others needing Ammo bad and no light assaults anywhere to be found.. but medics and engineers were there at the objective.

my thought is engineer's should carry ammo to distribute to others.. not light assault.

This is not a complaint this is a discussion

EDIT: DEVS HAVE NOW CONFIRMED THE LIGHT ASSAULT CLASS WILL NOT KEEP THE AMMO PACKS ANYMORE.

Last edited by Top Sgt; 2012-06-07 at 01:58 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zekeen
Major

Re: Devs: Engineers Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's.

Engineers already have a rather heavy role to play. Having ammo boxes along with engineering is too much, and taking away one of their engineering specialties would not be good for the class.

I think light assault are the main troops, not disposable scouts. I already got a thread in the idea section going on a way to fix the Light Assault giving out ammo and jetpacking at the same time. I believe it makes them more of a tactical and variable class instead of a rush out, supply and die type class.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=41994
Old 2012-06-06, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

Ammo/Med packs don't belong in general .
Old 2012-06-06, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by RodenyC View Post
I agree.

Not with the removal of innovatory. Besides, we had this: Aegis Shield Generator
Old 2012-06-06, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zenben
Master Sergeant

^
Old 2012-06-17, 06:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zenben
Master Sergeant

This, but if they really MUST be in, I would prefer they be on HA and no other class.
Old 2012-06-17, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Deadeye
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zenben View Post
This, but if they really MUST be in, I would prefer they be on HA and no other class.
I can see HA getting ammo boxes. If the HA guys are equiped with LMGs they would be akin to the Support class in BF3 and I think the LMG guys in 2142 had ammo too. They need the ammo to lay down suppression fire so they could use more of it.

I don't know why people are against an ammo carrier. The logistics stuff in planetside didn't actually improve gameplay, just made it more tedious. You know who is actually the ammo carrier in Planetside? The hacker. Why? Because he hacked the enemy consoles and you could change gear and get more ammo that way. So why be roundabout when you could just give a guy ammo crates?

You'll still need the galaxy as a spawn point, so that's still got its role and the sunderer is still needed to plow into the enemy base (though in reality I can't see it being used much because the lighter transports weren't used much in PS1 either because everyone just brought their own tank or mosquito).

Last edited by Deadeye; 2012-06-17 at 08:51 AM.
Old 2012-06-17, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Hrmm... can't say I really mind which class the ammo boxes go to, as all classes will see their fair share of soloists, some more than others.

But I think we're too focused on the negatives to the positives, and taking E3 footage too seriously as a snapshot of how the game will work a year from now with thousands of players.

We're also lacking a lot of intel on the classes.

An LA with ammo boxes is good in a squad for scouting, flanking, and re-arming allies. They have shorter ranged weaponry, hopefully that means if their perch is outside of a grenade toss in distance, they won't be too much of a threat. They're also very lightly armored. It's not like they can strike with impunity, shoot back for ****s sake. It's also not like your team doesn't have LA that can reach the same position, or air craft that will hunt them down.

HA is already the tougher soldier, bringing a lot of firepower to a fight. They lack maneuverability, and will need the aid of medics to keep fighting when they suffer injury. Giving them an ammo pack would improve their allure, as right now MAXes can pretty much cover the exact same role, only deadlier, unless HA already brings something a MAX can't.

Engineers do follow the support role very well. It would make sense for them to be the guys that keep the war machine well oiled. The issue might be giving them too much to worry about. If their roles become too overwhelming, people will eventually find the least demanding aspects to use.

Medics: I say no to medics because self healing and arming would definitely be too OP.

Personally, I prefer if LA did get ammo boxes, or no one at all.
Old 2012-06-17, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
HA does bring something a max can't, a Scythe, Mossie, Reaver. HA can fly those, a max can't.
Since we're talking teamplay aspects, not sure how their capability to pilot aircraft - when it's the squad make-up consisting of foot-mobiles we're concerned with - is of any relevance. Anyone besides a max can pilot an aircraft. It's a pretty null point.

What do HA bring to a squad that MAXes don't? Hacking? Medics, engis, LA, and infils can do that too. Don't need an HA hacking when he should be guarding a door, only a MAX is better at guarding said door.

Ammo packs on an HA seem OP, since it gives them unlimited ammo (if paced) but they're much softer targets than a MAX.

LA however are only really good against foot-mobiles, and have inaccurate weaponry to boot. But they do have the ability to find unique perches. HA are grunts in power armor.

Hrm... I take back what I said: HA fit the bill the best. I WANT them to be the lynch pin of everyone's ammo woes. LA will stick within close proximity. MAXes will feed off of them, and HA can keep up their own fire making them a different form of reliable asset to the squad.

Last edited by Littleman; 2012-06-17 at 10:43 AM.
Old 2012-06-17, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Meriv
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
reason LA is likely losing the ammo job is because it is seen a weak support link.
it is not the only support that he has, he will have smoke grenade for helping HA advance, emp ones(not sure) etc.. Etc... Plus I don't think that a group of la will take the base alone without the other classes firepower, soo I see no problem for him to have a support side.
Old 2012-06-17, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Pillar of Armor
Sergeant

I like the idea that LA should either have a jet pack or ammo pack, not both. That, or LA should be able to drop ammo packs, but not use them at all.

If HA carried ammo, they would be ridiculously OP.
Old 2012-06-17, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
indirect
Staff Sergeant

Old post, I'm sure it got beat to hell - but completely disagree. We don't have nonstatic inventories anymore. They are a necessity.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

While I agree with that (and if we're sticking to ammo drops the little glowing icon needs to be replaced with an actual game object); are the ammo drops unlimited?

I kind of assumed you'd only get a couple per loadout.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Purple
Sergeant Major

the E3 players were not working together much. during actual play we will see teamwork due to the fact players will be able to talk to eachother. im sure the ammo packs will be limited.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

I don't understand why the only class that can easily get on the roof can also sustain itself ammo wise on the roof. This is very dumb.

Imagine if soldiers in TF2 could drop ammo packs...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion