Star Wars Galaxies - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma is so going to ban Google for the SWG and other RPG ads.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2011-09-14, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Star Wars Galaxies

www.swgemu.com

Emulator for SWG, I just installed last night. Haven't gotten much time to play.

As far as I know it's patched before SOE fooked it all up, it's free, and all you need is your original SWG discs. Can't be a download.

I'm excited to hop in and check it out. I used to really love this game and now that I can play it for free I figure why the hell not.

Let me know if you're going to try it out, or if you're already playing!
Old 2011-09-14, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Re: Star Wars Galaxies

SWG:NGE Sucks and the emulation has come a long long way since it was started. I did a bit of testing back in its early days for it, it should be fun when they're finally done.

also, in before hamma rages and nukes this thread for being 'illegal' or something, even if it isnt.
Old 2011-09-14, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

Also, in before Hamma bans p0intman for being a troll.

This thread will not be removed.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-09-14, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Also, in before Hamma bans p0intman for being a troll.

This thread will not be removed.
haha.

I was wondering earlier today though how they are allowed to make an emulator for the game?

Won't Lucas shit his pants if he finds it? Or SOE for that matter?
Old 2011-09-14, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
haha.

I was wondering earlier today though how they are allowed to make an emulator for the game?

Won't Lucas shit his pants if he finds it? Or SOE for that matter?
First off, theres zero profit being made. Secondly, 100 percent of the code is hand written from the ground up. Even the engine it runs on is made by the team.

Thirdly, they demand you buy a copy from SOE/SONY/LA before playing.
Old 2011-09-14, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
First off, theres zero profit being made. Secondly, 100 percent of the code is hand written from the ground up. Even the engine it runs on is made by the team.

Still potential lost sub money from the new MMO coming out this fall. GL to these guys.
Old 2011-09-14, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post

Makes sense
Old 2011-09-14, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Logit
Second Lieutenant

I have a lot of fond memories of this game, and from what I've seen the emu is getting fairly popular. Hopefully more and more people will start playing it.
Old 2011-09-14, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
joemonkey
Private

this has been in development for a bunch of years now, last time i checked in was maybe 2 years ago when they were first pounding out the jedi stuffs. skimming over their site now it still looks like they are working on jedi or just dont know how to introduce it.

anyways this will not compete with SWTOR in the least, hell it cant even compete with the current version of SWG as it is a completly different game. if 1 person plays this Emulator instead of SWTOR I will chop off my left hand (my right one i need....)
Old 2011-09-14, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by joemonkey View Post
this has been in development for a bunch of years now, last time i checked in was maybe 2 years ago when they were first pounding out the jedi stuffs. skimming over their site now it still looks like they are working on jedi or just dont know how to introduce it.

anyways this will not compete with SWTOR in the least, hell it cant even compete with the current version of SWG as it is a completly different game. if 1 person plays this Emulator instead of SWTOR I will chop off my left hand (my right one i need....)
This Emu is still a MMO based game correct? If so how does Lucas Arts not stand to lose potential revenue with people playing that instead.
Old 2011-09-14, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
joemonkey
Private

i aint saying LA aint losing money (but seriously generously maybe 1000 people will play this?) - i am saying that this Emu has a zero threat level whatsoever on SWTOR.

Hello Kitty Island Adventure does not make much of a dent in revenue for Wii Bowling. There might be a bit of crossover in the playerbase, but this game isn't going to steal SWTOR subs or monies.
Old 2011-09-14, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

It's probably not a threat in any way, but it certainly could draw some attention if it gets popular thus making it a legal issue of some sort.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-09-14, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Crator
Major General

Neat, I'll have to take a look at this. So this is pre-NGE SWG? Sorry, can't look at link for some reason at work. Not exactly sure why, I'm using my own proxy, not the company's proxy that blocks content.
Old 2011-09-14, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Neat, I'll have to take a look at this. So this is pre-NGE SWG? Sorry, can't look at link for some reason at work. Not exactly sure why, I'm using my own proxy, not the company's proxy that blocks content.
As far as I can tell it's patched before SOE decided to crap it all up.

Some things are missing and there are some bugs but for the most part it's pretty playable.

I'm trying to find a group of people that play pretty regularly, so far no luck.

The forums are pretty active though.
Old 2011-09-22, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Whether it's legal or not, unfortunately all Lucas has to do is demand him to stop or they'll start up a lawsuit even if they know they'll lose, just to make the creators pay a ton of legal fees.

But I really enjoyed Galaxies before it's first big changes. The game's Creature Handling class and player cities where my favorite parts.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion