Greetings / a place for me? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dang! I've crashed the galaxy again.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2006-02-18, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
GPman
Private

Greetings / a place for me?

Hello all!

I am new here and wanted to say hello. I was in the Planetside beta but I was unable to join up at launch. However, the good news now I am ready to.

The role I liked to play was medic/repair support type(always did this in tribes and back in the team fortress days). I know I am not the best shot in the world but I like the support roles. Keeping people alive is satisfying for me. Don't really mind dying to keep others alive just long enough for a victory. Near the end of beta, I was seeing that I was not need. So many people in zerg fests had no time to stop and get healed / repaired, or waited to be revived. They would rather turn their vehicle into a flamming rocket before stopping to repair. Unless I wanted to hang out on base defense repairing a max defender non stop nobody really needed me around.

So I was wondering, in the game as it is now, will high level squads want a player like me with them? Would I be of use, or are people just still finding respawning the better way to go? Don't get me wrong, I fight too, just more than happy to fall into the support role.

Reading the official forums scare me as it sounds like a rough crowd of kill kill kill and keep moving leaving people like me in the dust. Definitely afraid to post there as a newbie. So is there a place for me in PS? Thanks!
Old 2006-02-18, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
WildEagle
Lieutenant Colonel

Yea, you'd be a great role to a squad/outfit. When defending or attacking a base just wait for people to run away from dying and you can heal/repair them. as for vehicle repair,I would suggest being a gunner or driver. In fact get an ATV and drive around to help people. I used to.

Last edited by WildEagle; 2006-02-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 2006-02-18, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

Still plenty of room for support players - in fact you can earn some cool merits now to for doing it Since people are working on merits you often see people wait around more for healing and reviving.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2006-02-18, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
WolfA4
Sergeant

support roles have been improved, now you actually gain assisted kills, and earn BEP for repairing soldiers, and vehicles, as well as terminals, and turrets.
Old 2006-02-19, 04:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

It certainly is statisfying to heal someone up, watch em run off and blast someone, and watch yourself gain some kill assists and experience points.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2006-02-19, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

If you come to VS-Emerald feel free to come check out celestialfire.org
Half our guys are killwhores, the other half support whores.
Old 2006-02-19, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ivoch
Private

Also take a look at www.gotr.net (VS Emerald) - we rely heavily on each other, and have infantry, aircraft, armor and specops divisions, each with their own support guys. Want to fly a lodestar the whole night? No problem, you will have enough tanks and libs to repair. Advanced medic? Our Roughnecks need you as much as they need new engineers.

Last edited by Ivoch; 2006-02-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 2006-02-19, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
GPman
Private

Thanks all! Glad to know support roles are still needed. I imagine once fodder hits, with so many newbies like me running around, all the vets will be having a field day just picking us off, so I know I will be useful at that point. So it is good that I will be needed later as well. Thanks again!

Come on fodder, come out soon so I can start healing butt...hmm that just didn't sound right. Kicking butt...yeah thats the one.
Old 2006-02-19, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
WildEagle
Lieutenant Colonel

Come on fodder, come out soon so I can start healing butt...hmm that just didn't sound right. Kicking butt...yeah thats the one.
Old 2006-02-20, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Nitsch
Sergeant Major

For your playstyle you will want to be in an outfit and group with the same folks. That is the best way to get the most out of medic. Most of the time, people in most pickup groups will release before a medic will revive them (playing in a pickup group in this game is more like mass soloing rather than a coordinated effort.)

"Never pet a burning dog and never fry bacon naked."--Gary Busey
Old 2006-02-20, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

Support is awesome. Thats all I do, I put AMS' on the field, I repair troops, and I heal vehicles, Its pretty fun, what with the SEP and Assist Kills.
Old 2006-02-21, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Mag-Mower
Support is awesome. Thats all I do, I put AMS' on the field, I repair troops, and I heal vehicles, Its pretty fun, what with the SEP and Assist Kills.
Was a time I always carried 20 certs in support (even before the extra 3), but I have just given up bothering with the ams and gal. Can never fill a gal anymore, and placing an ams no longer has any point with the over abundance of OSes.
Old 2006-02-21, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea placing an AMS can be frustrating at times.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2006-02-24, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
YoungBeard
Private

But it really pays off when it works. Like the other night I plonked one down near the back door of a base and racked up over 5000 support exp.

If your AMS dies, just get another one. Repeat until one sticks.

Its good to be in an outfit that values support, too. I have resurrected many a teammate since they know they have medics in the group and don't tap out as soon as they die.
Old 2006-02-24, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by YoungBeard
If your AMS dies, just get another one.
Not me. From now on the CR5s can get their own damn amses.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion