Anyone else think this must be a joke? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: In case of flaming threads: Stop, drop, and roll.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-14, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Anyone else think this must be a joke?

Q. What exactly is the planned Damage bonus for headshots? Will any Infantary weapon be able to One shot Kill?

A. The system allows us to have different damage bonuses for each weapon. This way we can make it so that sniper rifles give a 200% bonus making them OSOK on headshots and chainguns get a 0% bonus making it make no difference. Other guns like pistols or assault rifles might be somewhere in between based on how rewarding we feel precision should be with each of those weapons/weapon types. Vehicle weapons will likely have a 0% bonus.

Exact balance for this is not final, but that's the general idea that we're going with and we'll tweak as necessary.

So.... does it sound to anyone else like its going to be. "use Deagle and sniper or uninstall." Ala CS style balance?
Old 2011-07-14, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
hippieschuh
Private

Re: Anyone else think this must be a joke?

...might be in between... = 50% more damage if hit on head

considering a pistol does low damage, sounds fine to me?
Old 2011-07-14, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vancha
Colonel

I'd hoping that sort of "balance" would end up being fixed rather quickly.
Old 2011-07-14, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Its sadly the most retarded thing I've heard so far. This is how gaming works. if X gun can out dps Y gun by taking skill it makes Y gun totally useless. As you ether use X gun or pretty much uninstall.

CS/CSS is a prime example of this bullshit. even through the MG and assault rifle has decent dps the fact that the Deagle/sniper can one shot you makes pretty much any of the other guns worthless.

If the chain gun is outdps'd by a assault rifle useing headshots then the chain gun would be utterly worthless because it would fall under the "use the assault rifle or uninstall"
Old 2011-07-14, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
SKYeXile
Major General

i herd they're also giving maxes a gun that can headshot, and the most DPS...again...also again the most armour, it also cannot be headshot.
Old 2011-07-14, 04:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Forsaken One View Post
If the chain gun is outdps'd by a assault rifle useing headshots then the chain gun would be utterly worthless because it would fall under the "use the assault rifle or uninstall"
Then the solution is clear, we'll have to get rid of stamina and allow bunny hopping to make it harder to land headshots.
Old 2011-07-14, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Grimster
First Lieutenant

I imagine that they will look at this part closely during the beta to balance it properly for the launch of the game.

I have full confidence in the developers there because I am sure they will listen to the feedback from the beta testers.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-07-14, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Well I think you have to put a little more faith in the developers. I am sure that there might be a inbalance when they start off the beta but I am also sure that they will balance this based on the feedback from the testers and from what I have heard since current subscribers are those that will have first dips on the beta I am certain that the feedback provided will be what appeals to the general Planetside player and not some CS/COD hardcore player.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-07-14, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Grimster View Post
Well I think you have to put a little more faith in the developers.
Its hard to have faith when everytime they speak its like a slap in the face to Planetside as a whole.
Everytime they open their mouths its something self over teamwork.
Everything they say tends to lean for ADD Monkey drool bucket twitch kid over mature players with tactics and strategy.
Old 2011-07-14, 04:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kran De Loy
Captain

Its hard to have faith when everytime they speak its like a slap in the face to Planetside as a whole.
Everything they say tends to lean for ADD Monkey drool bucket twitch kid over mature players with tactics and strategy.
Using tactics means knowing how to manipulate the twitcher into being where he'll do the most good. Usually as a fine piece of distraction.

Herding Cats will likely be one of the Squad captain certs.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

This is not a joke and it sounds like a pretty sound way to go about things. Means someone with an MCG can't spray bullets all around and get random headshots.

Negative Nancy here won't be happy unless it's PlanetSide 1 reskinned. Seriously dude a slap in the face? The game needs to compete with modern FPSs and retain the PlanetSide Feel if they want it to be a success.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-14, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
ShowNoMercy
Corporal

Hamma, you must not be very good with how percentages work. if a sniper rifle does 250 base dmg and a head shot is 200% of base then it would do 500dmg. If an MCG does 15 base dmg per shot and a head shot was 200% it would only do 30 dmg. Thus the conclusion is that it would save you 1 shot in order to get a kill. Since the MCG has a high fire rate and takes multiple shots to get a kill, 1 shot saved equates to a fraction of a second reduction in the time to kill which in essence is not that important. However, if you are using a gun with a tight cone and could fire off a burst aimed at someones cranial region, it would make a difference. Bottom line is HS dmg increases may or may not make a difference depending on things such as fire rate, CoF, and clip size. We just have to wait and see how the devs incorporate it before we complain about it.

Last edited by ShowNoMercy; 2011-07-14 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 2011-07-14, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
Hamma, you must not be very good with how percentages work. if a sniper rifle does 250 base dmg and a head shot is 200% of base then it would do 500dmg. If an MCG does 15 base dmg per shot and a head shot was 200% it would only do 30 dmg. Thus the conclusion is that it would save you 1 shot in order to get a kill. Since the MCG has a high fire rate and takes multiple shots to get a kill, 1 shot saved equates to a fraction of a second reduction in the time to kill which in essence is not that important. However, if you are using a gun with a tight cone and could fire off a burst aimed at someones cranial region, it would make a difference. Bottom line is HS dmg increases may or may not make a difference depending on things such as fire rate, CoF, and clip size. We just have to wait and see how the devs incorporate it before we complain about it.
What? Chainguns get a 0% bonus, which means same damage on the entire hitbox. Not that hard to understand.. You are also using theoretical damage amounts.. but ok.

Regardless of any of this I don't see headshots as a problem. As long as it's balanced well and they listen to the community during testing.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-07-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 2011-07-14, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Negative Nancy here won't be happy unless it's PlanetSide 1 reskinned. Seriously dude a slap in the face? The game needs to compete with modern FPSs and retain the PlanetSide Feel if they want it to be a success.
You seem to be misunderstanding me greatly lately no offense. I do not want a "reskined Planetside 1" I want a Sequel To one of the greatest Teamwork over self FPS games ever made.

I've even made suggestions that would be more modern yet wouldn't add to "Self" such as finishing moves in the Max Melee thread.

The fact is. Planetside is about teamwork, tactics, and strategy Planetside should worry more about competing with things like ArmA, flashpoint, etc much more then "generic drool cup twitch shooter number 20."
Old 2011-07-14, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Raymac
Brigadier General

The fact is. Planetside is about teamwork, tactics, and strategy Planetside should worry more about competing with things like ArmA, flashpoint, etc much more then "generic drool cup twitch shooter number 20."
The great thing about Planetside is that for the numbers of different players we are talking about, it's a place for all kinds of gameplay. Bring the ArmA people, bring the COD people, and lets all have a huge war.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion