Planetside 2 Missions - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Is this Flamers Anonomous?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-21, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MadPenguin
Sergeant

Planetside 2 Missions

Hey, I've been thinking about exactly how the missions in Planetside 2 will work. It has been mentioned that a squad leader say can issue missions to his squad.

I was wondering how they will make it so the different faction's missions will overlap.

Using the names of Planetside continents to make it simple, what if a few Vanu squads launch missions against the NC on say Amerish, and the NC launch missions against the Vanu on Cyssor.

What if both sides decide not to stop the other just because they want to sit on their exp/resources they get from completing their missions on the others continent. How can combat be guaranteed.

(I am a bit of a worrier, and i really want this to be awesome. If I'm seeing problems where there are non just tell me )
Old 2011-09-21, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fuel Truck
Private

Re: Planetside 2 Missions

No one knows
Old 2011-09-21, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

0 points for not understanding the very basics of planetside 2 at all

It wont be just 1 or 2 fights on the conts anymore, they intend to have fights on all continents. Completly avoiding the enemy is impossible until the enemy runs away from you.

At least that seems to be the idea. Beta will show if that actually works, i assume that design will fail completly, as players tend to go to other players, means filling one continent to full before even remotly going for another one.
Old 2011-09-21, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Raymac
Brigadier General

I wouldn't worry too much about that specific issue for 2 reasons:

1) It sounds like the mission system is effectively replacing what CR5s do ad hoc with globals now which is "Hey everybody go over there."

2) In the early days of Planetside (when I had to walk to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways) finding a fight was never a problem. There were always multiple fights happening across the continents, so the question wasn't "where can we find a fight?" the question was "which fight do we want to have?"

In the end, no matter how valuable resources are, we will be playing to fight so it will trend towards that result.

Last edited by Raymac; 2011-09-21 at 09:00 PM.
Old 2011-09-21, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
nomotog
Sergeant

Also a good bulk of your resources will come from owning sectors. (At least last I checked) Letting a side take away one of your bases will mean your resources take a hit.

Last edited by nomotog; 2011-09-21 at 09:16 PM.
Old 2011-09-21, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Crator
Major General

I believe Higby said in the lunch interview that at the start (or when no other player generated missions exist) that the system would automatically generate missions.

I would assume that commanders would be given a tool/utility to use, similar to the things the current Command Uplink Unit can do. But even more since there will be a skill tree to train into. This will give commanders insight into what goals need to be achieved for the empire and thus giving the commanders content to produce a mission.
Old 2011-09-21, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Brusi
Contributor
Major

It's likely that the automatically generated missions could may be automatically created based on missions created by players on opposing factions.

I.E. NC Player with command skills creates a mission to drain Zotz, after a little while an automatically created VS "zOMG DeFEND ZoTZ!" mission appears for the VS

(Yes, i am basing my example on the current PS... it's just an example)

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-09-22, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
FIREk
Captain

I definitely hope that the automated mission system doesn't immediately generate counter-missions for user-made missions. The latter should be surprising and initially secretive, like a behind-enemy-lines gen hold or drain.

On the other hand, I hope that, for instance, when the system creates a zerg mission for TR to attach tower X, then it will also create a mission for the VS to fortify and defend tower X. This way the TR won't waste time hacking an empty tower and instead everyone will be plunged into a decent fight immediately.
Old 2011-09-22, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
I believe Higby said in the lunch interview that at the start (or when no other player generated missions exist) that the system would automatically generate missions.
Indeed, also these missions will likely remain afterwards. I think the auto-generated missions will probably be the main way that populations are controlled and moved around in PS2, based on those squad leaders will be creating missions centered around those populated areas.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-09-22, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

My question with the mission system is that Higby has said when you look at the mission list and choose one its ports you that fight.

How close will it put you?

What will stop people from exploiting it to quickly port across conts by making a mission wherever they need to go?

Is it like Instant Action with a choice, and it will spawn you at the closest spawn point. Or will you Drop Pod in?

Last edited by DOUBLEXBAUGH; 2011-09-22 at 08:37 AM.
Old 2011-09-22, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
Is it like Instant Action with a choice, and it will spawn you at the closest spawn point. Or will you Drop Pod in?
Something like Instant Action with a choice, yes. I think the only situation that Higby referenced was right after you log on.
You should be able to jump into another mission somehow, though. Which also makes me wonder, how limited will spawning options be once we die/deconstruct... If it's just the closest tower, base and Galaxy, or multiple choices, for instance...
Old 2011-09-24, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
Something like Instant Action with a choice, yes. I think the only situation that Higby referenced was right after you log on.
So your fighting on the North side of a cont when you see a back hack in the south. SL makes a mission, everyone else logs out then back in and chooses that mission to port there.
Old 2011-09-24, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
FIREk
Captain

So your fighting on the North side of a cont when you see a back hack in the south. SL makes a mission, everyone else logs out then back in and chooses that mission to port there.
I think that, in PS1, you could use Instant Action anywhere - it just took a while to deconstruct. I'm positive that nothing stops the PS2 guys from implementing something similar in the sequel. There is no good reason to force a squad/platoon to spend 10 minutes just traveling, when they can just use some functionality to arrive at the closest spawn point or facility. Preferably facility, though.
Old 2011-09-24, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Hmm, good point. Gonna wait and see i guess, sooner or later during beta we all will exploint the shit out of every system anyway.
Old 2011-09-24, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Maybe you can only spawn for game made missions? I wouldn't like it to be too flexible, I'm worried it will devalue transport.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion