Remove KDR - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: <- You are here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-20, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dragonskin
Major

Exclamation Remove KDR

So, with the news that you can reset your KDR coming I think it is a good time to talk about simply removing this useless stat to begin with. I brought this up in another thread and felt it was worthy of it's own thread.

KDR changes your in game behavior so that you only worry about making sure you kill more than you die. It prevents you from effectively contributing to your faction.

So here is a vid also talking about it and I think TheKoolaidLine nails it. What positive behaviors does KDR promote in a game like Planetside? Why is it a stat worthy of being displayed in the game? Because like DrankTHEKoolaid... I can't think of a good reason to have it.

Old 2013-03-20, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Aurmanite
Captain

Re: Remove KDR

Most people playing shooters will always do everything they can do avoid death.

Removing the statistical representation of that will accomplish nothing. People who champion this idea don't factor in human nature into the equation.
Old 2013-03-20, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Elgareth
Private

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post

Removing the statistical representation of that will accomplish nothing. People who champion this idea don't factor in human nature into the equation.
I tend to disagree. I know I hesitate more when doing something suicidal to help the faction with K/D in place... I guess others are like me ^_^
I'm for removing K/D, it does nothing positive for the game IMHO, so the worst that could happen is that everything stays the same, with a chance that people will act more team-based.
Worth it IMHO.
Old 2013-03-20, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
If my KDR isn't being tracked, this is 100% untrue for me. My game behavior is drastically altered by the game having a KDR and I wish the game wouldn't track how many times you've died, period.
Old 2013-03-20, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Figment
Lieutenant General

Since there's infinite respawn, there's no virtue to killing the enemy more than they kill you. The only thing of strategic importance is killing the spawn points and then whatever had spawned. Suicidal tactics do that best in this game.
Old 2013-03-20, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
So, with the news that you can reset your KDR coming I think it is a good time to talk about simply removing this useless stat to begin with. I brought this up in another thread and felt it was worthy of it's own thread.

KDR changes your in game behavior so that you only worry about making sure you kill more than you die. It prevents you from effectively contributing to your faction.

So here is a vid also talking about it and I think TheKoolaidLine nails it. What positive behaviors does KDR promote in a game like Planetside? Why is it a stat worthy of being displayed in the game? Because like DrankTHEKoolaid... I can't think of a good reason to have it.
I think KDR is way overblown by this community. Most players with high KDR aren't the type of people who sit way in the back, they're just effective at using their surroundings. I personally charge in to every fight I'm at, I get to places unexpected and I try to work from an area that I can control. Most new players are not really playing to their KDR but more to the fact that in most games dying is considered a penalty. In Planetside 2, for some reason, it's not a penalty. You respawn and you're back in the fight. Once skilled players realize this they tend to be extremely aggressive because most normal players are very defensive to avoid the dreaded respawn screen. Defensive players are sitting ducks in Planetside2, though they don't seem to realize it.

Of all the stats that cause any sort of issues in the game, kills/hour and score/hour should be more of a concern effecting the play style Planetside wants to promote, not kills/death. If kills/death is effecting your gameplay than you're not maximizing the gains your character could be receiving. The only exception to this is Liberators, but that's because Liberators are ridiculously unbalanced to the rest of the game but that's another subject that Higby doesn't seem to want to deal with.

Last edited by Assist; 2013-03-20 at 08:44 AM.
Old 2013-03-20, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

It is a statistic.

It does not prevent you from doing anything.

This argument has been done to death.

Stop trying to dictate how others play and enjoy the game.
Old 2013-03-20, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
Stop trying to dictate how others play and enjoy the game.
This is an interesting comment. So you do recognise that removing the KDR would alter how people play, but unlike you suggest it wouldn't be me dictating anything. The players themselves can still be kill whores if they wanted, but a lot of players might actually learn to be more objective oriented over time. How is that a bad thing? Or are you trying to protect a precious epeen number that doesn't actually tell people how good of a player you actually are?

Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
Removing K/D without removing Death´s solves nothing. You will have external statpages like PSU who will bring the K/D stat back.
I agree and that is a good point. Remove total death count as well. Just keep the player kill board like the SOE version where it tracks the last 100 deaths and kills. That is all you really need to know and would give you a good idea how a praticular play session went.

Last edited by Dragonskin; 2013-03-20 at 09:47 AM.
Old 2013-03-20, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
So, with the news that you can reset your KDR coming
What?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-20, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
What?
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...e-item.106330/
Old 2013-03-20, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

My bad, hadn't read the thread yet.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-20, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Artorius
Private

Removing K/D without removing Death´s solves nothing. You will have external statpages like PSU who will bring the K/D stat back.
Old 2013-03-20, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Gimpylung
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
What he said.
Old 2013-03-20, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
almalino
First Sergeant

What is the reason to remove KDR?
People who doesn't care about KDR will not notice.
People who care will leave? So we will reduce PS2 population. Is it the goal?
Old 2013-03-20, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
satori
Corporal

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. A purchasable stat wipe? Let's call it what it is, a $$ grab for SOE. Removing K/D entirely is a different subject (one that I'm not in favor of) but this just silly. Please, SOE, focus on more important issues rather than people whining about their K/D ratio.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion