News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 25 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WORST. QUOTE. EVER.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-22, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #361
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
There are definitely sound technical reasons for regional servers and we've always planned on having them.
That's true, I'm not arguing that. But I meant forcing people on their respective regional servers.
If we will be forced. It's still unclear to us
Old 2012-02-22, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #362
stordito
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Spoof View Post
^ I agree.
Old 2012-02-22, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #363
Jonny
Master Sergeant

Well this is dissapointing as I was imagining playing with/against some of you guys across the pond. (live in UK)

What would be nice is some more clarity on why they think this is the best way to go - ie what reasons it would benefit gamers.
Old 2012-02-22, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #364
Xaine
Major

I'm very ignorant about the technical side of all this, but why can't you just have NA/EU servers that are CLEARLY labelled when you start up the game.

Planetside 1 did this. You could see you ping to all the servers, you knew which one you SHOULD play on if you're looking for your timezone, but the option was there to go onto another one.

Is there some massive issue I'm missing here?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Last edited by Xaine; 2012-02-22 at 04:05 AM.
Old 2012-02-22, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #365
EVILoHOMER
Major

This fucking sucks.

SOE games have been established on guilds playing together from all over the world. Also now Planetside 2 will be unplayable for most the day and you'll have to wait for peak times again. At least with Planetside you could join the US servers when EU peak was over. Then you have the problem of EU servers always being less populated than the US ones and how we have to put up with all the different languages in the EU.

If this game is region locked I wont play, quite simple.
Old 2012-02-22, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #366
Fara
Corporal

Adding my voice to the chorus of dissatisfaction. I'm all for region servers but I live in EU and have a large number of friends is US that I regularly play with. This smacks me as a massively stupid move by corporate SOE.

Please reconsider. One of the best moves Swtor did was allow EU,US and now Asia servers to be listed under one game client. This allows me to hop on US servers to play with friends with my alt character and continue to play EU with my main (while I wait patiently for PS2).
Old 2012-02-22, 04:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #367
EVILoHOMER
Major

Also just have ping restrictions instead of region lock if you care about performance. I live in Europe and I get 100 pings from US east coast servers and 150 on the west side. I personally feel that is an acceptable and playable ping but just restrict people who have like 400 pings.
Old 2012-02-22, 04:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #368
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I live in Europe, both my brothers live in Canada. We had loads of fun playing Planetside together for a while there and were really looking forward to playing again in PS2.

This really sets the tone for the kind of community interaction I can expect from Pro7, together with their bad reputation as a gaming service I won't be spending any money on this game. I may still give it a shot, but as an investment it's not something I'm prepared to sink money into. Since everyone involved in this decision surely knew how it would be received by the community, I'm not hopeful that all this negative feedback will change anything. All that's left is to vote with my wallet.
Old 2012-02-22, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #369
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Maybe you can use Proxy Servers / Sites to access the other location of the game?

Probably against the rules....

Last edited by Neurotoxin; 2012-02-22 at 04:12 AM.
Old 2012-02-22, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #370
Corax
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
There are definitely sound technical reasons for regional servers and we've always planned on having them.
Hey Higs, I was curious, if in the end we did have regional servers, would there be a possibility of SOE hosting at least 1 International server?
No need to confirm or deny, Im just wondering at the actual possibility?
Old 2012-02-22, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #371
QuiCKaNdDeaDLy
Corporal

Can players still access the U.S. servers?

Under the new partnership between SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games, European players of the above mentioned SOE games will be able to play via ProSiebenSat.1 Games's service and will not have access to U.S. servers. However, existing EverQuest II players in Europe that have played on U.S. servers before the transition will be allowed to continue playing on those servers through their SOE accounts.

Why cant we just have the same Deal with PS1 Accounts?
Old 2012-02-22, 04:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #372
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
I'm very ignorant about the technical side of all this, but why can't you just have NA/EU servers that are CLEARLY labelled when you start up the game.

Planetside 1 did this. You could see you ping to all the servers, you knew which one you SHOULD play on if you're looking for your timezone, but the option was there to go onto another one.

Is there some massive issue I'm missing here?
I believe the choice to use a partner for services in the EU was definitely a management decision that very likely has little do with with the satisfaction of it's customers.

My own pessimism makes me believe it was a 'Get Rich Quick' choice. Sell the rights to another company and you get a load of cash or promises of cash flow or something now that you can use to show off to investors or something to that effect. Instead of the still questionable amount of money they'd get for managing everything themselves.

Also this other company could already have the infrastructure to support the games saving SOE a whole ton more money by doing this.

In the end though they're still alienating a lot of people. The guild I am a part of had over 30 people that were committed to playing PS2 with a another 30-50 tentative depending on various factors when it came out.

About a third or so of these people are in EU. Thus the call was made that if EU is gonna be segragate we're not gonna put the guild effort into it. Honestly there will still be a few people that play it anyway, but maybe only a handful or two instead of 30-60 or as much as 80.
Old 2012-02-22, 04:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #373
Princess Frosty
Corporal

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
I believe the choice to use a partner for services in the EU was definitely a management decision that very likely has little do with with the satisfaction of it's customers.
Sure, it's a management decision to save cash at the expense of user experience, at the end of the day it's little different from outsourcing support helplines to india where labour is cheaper, they're just throwing the "problem" at another business who claim they can do it for a whole lot cheaper.

It almost always results in the work getting farmed out to the lowest bidder which drives down quality, it also keeps any negative press away from SOE because they can just blame their partners as a sort of escape out of responsibility (note: nothing changes after mistakes, deals are done so life goes on and there's no repercussions for messing up) I've literally seen and experienced it all first hand before on several other MMOs so I know pretty much exactly what to expect.

PC game fix database - http://www.pcgamingstandards.com

Last edited by Princess Frosty; 2012-02-22 at 04:32 AM.
Old 2012-02-22, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #374
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Seriously...

Who the hell are those ProSieben guys anyway?

I mean...
What experience do they have in online gaming?
What means do they really have to make the game known in Europe?
Several people on here and on other sites already said they don't want anything to do with that company, because they simply have no idea who they are, so how could we trust them?

I know that's not really what everyone is talking about right now, as we're all concerned and annoyed by the partnership, and how the community is going to be ripped apart.
But I'd still like to know more about those guys, out of curiosity
Old 2012-02-22, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #375
QuiCKaNdDeaDLy
Corporal

Originally Posted by Sabrak View Post
Seriously...

Who the hell are those ProSieben guys anyway?

I mean...
What experience do they have in online gaming?
What means do they really have to make the game known in Europe?
Several people on here and on other sites already said they don't want anything to do with that company, because they simply have no idea who they are, so how could we trust them?

I know that's not really what everyone is talking about right now, as we're all concerned and annoyed by the partnership, and how the community is going to be ripped apart.
But I'd still like to know more about those guys, out of curiosity
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=38532
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion