New Killcam - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: click me i'm a quote!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-02, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Canaris
Contributor
General

Re: New Killcam

I like it!

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-06-02, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Well, I guess my theory is in a big battle, knowing there were medics around that could help you out with teamwork would be pretty good reason to not just slam "RESPAWN" right away - 9 times out of ten if we can build mechanics that reward team work we're making Planetside 2 a better game. If there are no medics around you, then off to the respawn screen you go.
I think you should certainly have the option to 'not tap out' even if there aren't any in range. Because say you have a squad leader still up, and someone notices people down and "drop=pods" in as a medic. Definitely make it a choice to go to the respawn menu or wait it out for a few moments.

That said, I think there should also be a "do you want to be revived" message like in BF3, in PS1 you didn't have much choice in the matter sometimes, and I really think that was a good idea on the part of the BF3 devs.

Last edited by RedKnights; 2012-06-02 at 02:37 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
WebCole
Private

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Do you guys want to have a "Wait"/"Respawn now" choice on this screen, maybe with a count of near by friendly medics so you can choose if you want to wait for one or not. We were talking about having something like that, I think it could be cool. Right now it just dismisses after a few seconds and the respawn point selection interface comes up.
I think that most medic revive mechanics are a very satisfying interaction in games, not just for the medic but for the person getting revived. It would be nice to see that whole interaction encouraged, and even incentivised in more than just the "getting revived is quicker than walking back to the fight" which often is not enough.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
Coreldan
Colonel

@Higgles. Pretty much take a look how BRINK did medicing/ressing people. It is by far the nicest implementation (both functionally and visually) of it I've ever seen in a game.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-06-02, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I'm waiting for someone to find issue with it.
I'd rather not see who killed me as I have anger management issues. I want the ability to turn it off and just see my corpse on the ground.

Happy?
Old 2012-06-02, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by WebCole View Post
I think that most medic revive mechanics are a very satisfying interaction in games, not just for the medic but for the person getting revived. It would be nice to see that whole interaction encouraged, and even incentivised in more than just the "getting revived is quicker than walking back to the fight" which often is not enough.
Just got here (to the thread). Wouldn't getting revived give XP and possibly resources as well while in a contested area? Should be for both dead dude and medic, more of the medic of course.

Anyway I love the new kill cam. I would shag it if I could, but only thing really I would change is offset the information screen so that it's not covering up your body.

Moving the information boxes off of the body would do to useful things:

1) People (new and vets) can better tell exactly where they were when they caught that lucky slug thus better able to tell what went wrong.

2) Obscure the edges of the screen (boxes should still be transparent) to what miniscule amount of time and space they can use the kill cam to call targets over voice chat.

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
@Higgles. Pretty much take a look how BRINK did medicing/ressing people. It is by far the nicest implementation (both functionally and visually) of it I've ever seen in a game.
Actually good point. I second this.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-06-02 at 03:43 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
Shogun
Contributor
General

about the incentive to get revived...

do we already know if grenades and other consumables die with your char? do you buy them on spawn and lose them when you die? or do you chose your consumable item but only pay for it when you hit the use button?

if you have to buy them on spawn, you would certainly want to wait for a revive to retain your precious ressources used to buy your sonsumables.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-06-02, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
To expand on this,

The Medic would toss a syringe to the a near by downed teammate and that team mate would then resuscitate themselves. In Brink the each class including the medic would have 3 resource points that recharged over time. For the medic these were targeted heal, the resser syringe or a resurrection grenade.

Not gonna try to tell you to do it exactly the same way, but the resource management style of sharing the heal with the res sticks forced a Medic to play intelligently and the regenerating resource system forced the medic to stay and active part of the front line while the speed of the heal (over time effect one used) and the way they just threw the res sticks are their downed team mates allowed the medic to stay an active part of the front line as well.

Also of course being able to murder your opponents after you've knocked them out was fairly satisfying thing to do.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
Graywolves
General

Light up medics on the minimap and put arrows on the edge of the screen pointing to nearby medics a long with however many meters they are away.

If I didn't know of any medics around when I died but then I saw 5 arrows pop up I'd at least check how close they were and what my immediate surroundings looked like before hitting respawn.

Reviving people on the respawn screen would be annoying if you really wanted to respawn/reform somewhere and then suddenly someone brings you back to the fight that you just died in.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
about the incentive to get revived...

do we already know if grenades and other consumables die with your char? do you buy them on spawn and lose them when you die? or do you chose your consumable item but only pay for it when you hit the use button?

if you have to buy them on spawn, you would certainly want to wait for a revive to retain your precious ressources used to buy your sonsumables.
As much as I like this idea, I believe the TTK is too high to support it. Not at least when combined with the massive loads of scrubs that will be joining us.

(scrub in this case being people new to Planetside)

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Light up medics on the minimap and put arrows on the edge of the screen pointing to nearby medics a long with however many meters they are away.

If I didn't know of any medics around when I died but then I saw 5 arrows pop up I'd at least check how close they were and what my immediate surroundings looked like before hitting respawn.

Reviving people on the respawn screen would be annoying if you really wanted to respawn/reform somewhere and then suddenly someone brings you back to the fight that you just died in.
Another excellent point. Also one that imo supports res sticks that the medic gives the downed player so it's the downed player's choice to use it or not.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-06-02 at 03:58 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Exactly what a killcam should be in PS gameplay. Thank you guys!
Old 2012-06-02, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

PErfect
Old 2012-06-02, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
Kebabanimali
Private

dis is nice
Old 2012-06-02, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

This Deathcam is purrrrrfect

Thanks

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
To expand on this,

The Medic would toss a syringe to the a near by downed teammate and that team mate would then resuscitate themselves. In Brink the each class including the medic would have 3 resource points that recharged over time. For the medic these were targeted heal, the resser syringe or a resurrection grenade.

Not gonna try to tell you to do it exactly the same way, but the resource management style of sharing the heal with the res sticks forced a Medic to play intelligently and the regenerating resource system forced the medic to stay and active part of the front line while the speed of the heal (over time effect one used) and the way they just threw the res sticks are their downed team mates allowed the medic to stay an active part of the front line as well.

Also of course being able to murder your opponents after you've knocked them out was fairly satisfying thing to do.
Yeah, it was beautifully animated too. As the "victim" you would see the medic coming to you and throwing you the ress syringe, which you then decided if you want to use it or tap out and the character would "stab" himself with the syringe and get himself up the ground.

I'm not necessarily saying they should replace that "from the sky" perspective with the FPS wounded perspective Brink has, although its not necessarily a bad thing either. As said, I think it looked beautiful and in Brink you had the option to get a "cert" that allowed you to use your secondary with bad accuracy when downed. The downside was that the person who killed you would often be able to just incap you on the ground if you tried shooting them still in teh ground, but still allowing you to occasionally get the kill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFqFu...tailpage#t=90s

1:30 or so. It also gives you this big medic icon to the HUD for all nearby medics. I also recall that medics saw fallen friendlies as possible objectives on their HUD which they could highlight, if a medic highlighted ressing a wounded friendly as an objective, the victim would see the medic icon as bigger/different color to indicate someone is coming for help.

When on the ground you were also allowed to look around at certain angles (sorta as the "man down" position allows)

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-06-02 at 06:29 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion