Shooting bullets at aircraft - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All, My, Friends, Drive a MagRider
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-02-07, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
camycamera
Major

Re: Shooting bullets at aircraft

once i took down a reaver with 1 bullet.

true story.

no seriously, it had crashed into the ground and had a tiny bit of health left, so i shot it and boom too bad no one was in it though, although i still got the reaver kill xp bonus XD
Old 2013-03-21, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
LGhost
Private

Just to confirm, shooting at all aircraft with SMG or LMG can cause damage that the pilots would notice? Is there a red X that lets the shooter know you are hitting it as well? I haven't noticed a red confirmation X but maybe I should have adjusted my aim.

Also, does can small arms damage a Sundy and what about those large turrets connected to bases? Will there be a confirmation hit on these as well?

I can take down a small engineer turret with my LMG from long range when I take the time and find the correct aim, granted it does take a lot of bullets and time since I have to shoot one bullet per second (recoil) but it does give me hit confirmation, I am yet to get the confirmation on base turrets, planes, or Sundies, Tanks etc...
Old 2013-03-21, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by LGhost View Post
Just to confirm, shooting at all aircraft with SMG or LMG can cause damage that the pilots would notice? Is there a red X that lets the shooter know you are hitting it as well? I haven't noticed a red confirmation X but maybe I should have adjusted my aim.
There is a red X, yes. If you aren't seeing it you aren't hitting. I've had the occasional 'kill assist' from shooting small arms at ESFs, but I think Liberators ignore small-arms fire. Hopefully someone else will confirm

Also, does can small arms damage a Sundy and what about those large turrets connected to bases? Will there be a confirmation hit on these as well?
Sundies and MBTs ignore small-arms fire. Not sure about lightnings. I think you can damage base turrets, but again not 100% sure.
Old 2013-03-22, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
LGhost
Private

Originally Posted by Juryrig View Post
There is a red X, yes. If you aren't seeing it you aren't hitting. I've had the occasional 'kill assist' from shooting small arms at ESFs, but I think Liberators ignore small-arms fire. Hopefully someone else will confirm

Sundies and MBTs ignore small-arms fire. Not sure about lightnings. I think you can damage base turrets, but again not 100% sure.
Thanks!
Old 2013-03-22, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

A few days ago I was almost dead in my mossie, bailed out, shot the scythe on me with like 4 rounds of a nighthawk, AND MY MOSSIE LANDED ON HIM AND BLEW HIM UP HAHA!
Old 2013-03-22, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

Yeah, I once landed my mossie on a scythe while the pilot was out repairing, then I hopped out of the ESF and shot him... and then both ESFs exploded for some reason.
Old 2013-03-31, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
SternLX
Sergeant

Got a Mossie kill with the Stock VS Sniper rifle way way back. I noticed it was smoking pretty good so took a pot shot at it. Imagine my surprise when I got the kill message.

Last edited by SternLX; 2013-03-31 at 02:55 PM.
Old 2013-04-04, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
SGOniell
First Sergeant

I've picked up between 1 and 2 dozen ESF kills with my LMG. If you fly low and slow, or if you're on the ground, you're going to eat it. If I have rockets and you're stationary, or its my crow launcher, I'll use that. Otherwise my go-to is the Gauss SAW, and it can work really well.

Be interesting to see an exact number of kills on things with specific weapons. I estimate my kills, but its probably fairly accurate. I love to destroy vehicles. I've got over 400 vehicle kills. Compare that to the time I've been playing, and the time/vehicle kills of others who've been playing longer, and I may have more vehicle kills per minute.
Old 2013-04-05, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SGOniell View Post
I love to destroy vehicles. I've got over 400 vehicle kills. Compare that to the time I've been playing, and the time/vehicle kills of others who've been playing longer, and I may have more vehicle kills per minute.
DIDDO..the xp increase is just gravy now. With the nerf to the annie, I've got a lot more practice in with the dumbfire and love it when I snag an lolpodder or lib. I bought the Decimator yesterday with the sale, taking a bit to adjust to it...just need to remember to put on the munitions belt doh!

Old 2013-04-07, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

I think shooting at esf is a very good tactic. The seasoned pilots do not care about that too much, but others seem to be very scared about taking even the small amount damage and fly away in an instant. And when the combined damage is taken into account, it helps a lot. Few aa-max and a few infantry shooting does make a difference. I've got maybe 10-20 esf kills with infantry weapons and I've even done enough damage to get the ground to air xp with them.

Shotguns in particular are awesome against low flying pilots. You know those pilots, that aren't good at shooting and try to road kill you.
Old 2013-04-10, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rothnang
Major

If a whole squad of indantry turns its small arms on an ESF it can take it down. People just tend to never do that.

Pinging an ESF is at the very least going to distract the pilot. Even a seasoned pilot is going to be a lot more careful if he receives hits the entire time, because an ESF has to be ready to run in a split second when it's being hit by anything that does serious damage, so it's unnerving to get pinged by low damage fire so you might not immediately notice if the damage ramps up to something more serious.

Last edited by Rothnang; 2013-04-10 at 07:13 PM.
Old 2013-04-19, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Imperaxum
Private

Originally Posted by Rothnang View Post
If a whole squad of indantry turns its small arms on an ESF it can take it down. People just tend to never do that.

Pinging an ESF is at the very least going to distract the pilot. Even a seasoned pilot is going to be a lot more careful if he receives hits the entire time, because an ESF has to be ready to run in a split second when it's being hit by anything that does serious damage, so it's unnerving to get pinged by low damage fire so you might not immediately notice if the damage ramps up to something more serious.
Right. As a dedicated Scythe pilot myself, when I start getting hit by anything, I turn, dive, and afterburner away. It definitely scares me.
Old 2013-04-19, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by MFour View Post
I'm sorta new and I've been wondering, do small arms actually do anything against enemy ESFs? Often I find myself shooting at enemy sytches just to see the red marker, but how much damage does it do? Would say, 20 soldiers, be able to shoot down an ESF with just their light weapons?
I wish there was more soldiers like you on the battlefield, so many times I've seen ESF over bases shooting there lolpods at people damn near hugging the ground but of the 40 or so defenders maybe 2 or 3 will open fire. While the rest stare like bovines at it.

I don't like bovines in my platoons so keep up the good work trooper

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-04-20, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Fenrys
Major

'Light' weapons will damage ESF and Flash. Anything from a pistol to a LMG.

Liberators, heavy ground vehicles and phalanx turrets are immune to Light weapons. Only vehicle mounted weapons (except the Kobalt, which counts as a Light machine gun) can damage them, and so can various infantry portable explosives.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions