Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2004-01-20, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

Installed a new HSF (Cool pictures :D)

So about 2 weeks ago my slk-900A HSF from thermalright arrived. Just today my 92mm vantec tornado arrived, so I finally got to get this badboy mounted.

Old (stock) HSF removed:

Yeah so I take the old crappy stock HSF off and this is what I find...

This is actually after I had cleaned it off a little. Basically the whole die was covered in the thermal pad stuff. Long story short, if it can be avoided, never use the stock AMD HSF....

Ok so now we have it cleaned up:

and ready for thermal grease. I forgot to take a picture with the thermal grease on there but whatever so anyways I got the slk-900 on....

and omg its fucking huge.

Ok so I put everything back in, start the computer up and check out my bios temps.... what the hell it says 60 degrees Celcius.... uhhh..... Yeah so I let it run a little thinking maybe its messed up or something, and it gets up to 70 C... ouch. I shut it off and take everything back out. I then realized I didn't take off the little pads on the processor and put the new ones on doh. Ok so I rip those off put the new ones, that go onto the actual HSF on, then put some new thermal grease on. Ok boot it up 28 C kickass.

Right now I'm idling at 33/34 C when before with the stock HSF I was idling at 43. A 10C improvement, awesome. Tonight I'm gonna run some benchmarks and see what I get at full load, I can't wait.

EDIT: Forgot to add how fucking LOUD this thing is. I've seen people on various forums say that this fan sounds like a jet engine taking off, but I dismissed it seeing as everyone at hardocp and the like are so anal about having silent pcs. But damn they weren't lying this thing really does sound like a jet engine.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum