Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2004-05-28, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Which 64...

So no I am not deciding on which AMD64 to go with, 3400, 3800, fx, etc. I need to decide between:

AMD64 and P4 64 now:

Xbit Labs

"Starting from August 1, 2004 for $278

Intel Pentium 4 processors with 64-bit registers will officially start to be sold on the 1st of August, 2004, at speed-bins and price-points equal to the ordinary desktop Pentium 4 chips.

The product line will contain Pentium 4 at 3.20GHz, 3.40GHz and 3.60GHz priced at $278, $417 and $637 respectively. But on the August, 22, Intel is said to slash the pricing of its 3.40GHz and 3.60GHz chips to $278 and $417. A $637 SKU will join the family of 64-bit Intel Pentium 4 processors with 3.80GHz product introduction. The costs of the Pentium 4 chips with Extended Memory 64 Technology will be equal to processors with no such capability at the same core-clock.

The new chips aimed at server and workstation markets will work with i925X or i925XE chipsets and will come in LGA775 form-factor."

The i925X launches June 21st. So should be available early July. The P4 2.8c gets a price slash on July 18th. So I could possibly pick up both of these for a good price and oc the hell out of it, who cares if its life is shortened to nothing since I'll be going to a P4 64 a month or so later. And if those chip's oc as well current ones the performance should put them well past AMD. These could spell major problems for AMD in the home performance market unless they can ramp up the speeds faster or drop the prices on FX chips. I guess we'll find out when we start seeing bench's.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum