Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2004-09-11, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Nephtan
Private

no bandwidth loss with wireless

If you go with 802.11b which is cheap and old tech for wireless, you will experience NO bandwidth loss over your cable modem. The reason for this is that 802.11b runs at 11MB/per second (MB = MegaBits). Depending on your cable provider, you probably have somewhere around a 3MB/per second download stream (again MB = MegaBits). That means that you will suffer absolutely ZERO bandwidth loss on your internet connection because 11MB is way more than than your internet connection is. It will suck if you want to copy large files between your grandma's pc and yours though.

Another option is 802.11g wireless. With that you get a 54MB/per second bandwidth and it is much better if you are transfering large files between the computers on your network. This is just a tad more expensive though.. but not much. I'd definately choose this option.

P.S. Always remember to read up on security for your wireless network. 802.11g offers more bandwidth which means it is better when you are using wireless encryption. (less slowdown)

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum