Command Rank - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Scratch here to reveal prize
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2005-03-29, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Command Rank

I don't really like the way CR currently works in the game. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with being a leader. Anyone can invite random people or Outfit mates and over time grind their way to 5. It's because this is really just another form of very standard, BR-like character advancement that there's the question of OS proliferation right now. Remember when OS's used to be rare? These days there are a half-dozen OS's a fight. Find an AMS? Don't worry, it'll get OS'd. See a bunch of enemy BFRs closing on the base? OS to the rescue! Although OS can help break deadlocks, there are other ways that could be done (even if they're not in the game yet) so I think that point is really not enough to keep things as-is.

Specifically, I'm thinking OS should be tied to merits and BR. So should all the other CR abilities that have nothing to do with directing your squad, in fact. Uniform upgrades, EMP, deteting friendlies/enemies, all should be merit abilities. CR should only be for leaders, and thus the CR5's should be the ones who are there because they lead. CEP decay should be in to demote inactive commanders over time, but CR5 should overall be easier to attain, as there's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow anymore, so to speak.

The whole idea is to make the so-called 'Commando Rank' abilities tied to character progression because, really, that's all they're turning CR into -- character progression. With things as is, CR isn't a tool for leading, it's a way to make your character better. I am anything but a leader and I really don't deserve to be the CR that I am, because I haven't lead a squad in a long, long, long time. Making the formerly CR abilities tied to merits and BR would spare CR from being dragged down by idiots who get CR just for the abilities (that's about 90% of all CR5's, by the way) and yet still let people attain the tools formerly enjoyed by CR5's and below, if they're advanced enough.

So there's my general opinion on the matter. Share yours.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion