Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2011-08-28, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Upcoming Processors and Video Cards Forecast

For those of you not following rumor mill sites concerning computer parts I figured I would make a thread with that summarized info. This may prove to be helpful to those of you planning doing builds sometime this year or early next to know what is coming.

On the processor front for this year we have two new product lines coming from AMD and Intel.

AMD will be replacing their Phenom II line of processors with Zambezi sometime this fall with rumors strongly pointing towards October 12th for release. This line will be branded the FX series and will feature native a octo (8) core processor. With in this line there will be 4, 6, and 8 cores. The pricing on these FX processors will be from $??? for the quad to $250 for the flagship octo. At the time of release AMD is only putting out six and eight core versions. Unfortunately at this point we still do not know any performance figures concerning this new CPU from AMD. Many are thinking it will be a competitor to SB as well. Looks l

Intel is introducing Sandy Bridge - E processors to the market this winter and this will be the true successor to 1366 socket i7 CPUs (Sandy Bridge 1155 chips were a replacement for the 1156 socket). With this being the new flagship for Intel the CPU with feature quad channel memory, beefed up cache, and four to six core processors. Rumors are pointing the lowest end quad at $300 and the flagship six core at $1000. I have seen performance figures, but that is still up in the air as I do not know if they were real or not.

For video cards AMD's and Nvidia's release schedule is still unknown. TSMC who makes the 28nm process for both manufacturer's cards is having major issues with the process. Due to this both companies will likely not see a new release until sometime in early 2012. This is quite bad as we will nearly of had the same GPU performance for the past 2 1/2 years at that point. Normally doubles roughly every year.

For AMD it looks like their cards are being push into 2012 right now. Rumors are pointing towards a mainstream 28nm refresh replacing the 6800/6900 GPUs. This will likely be branded the 7800 series and feature the same arch as the current 6900s. Probably can expect a 6970 level video card at reduced power usage with in the $175-$225 bracket. Pricing will depend on how Nvidia will react to its release most likely. The new flagship video cards from AMD are said to feature a whole new arch leaving the previous one behind. There is no performance details as of yet, but if we are luck we can expect to see it later this year or early next.

Nvidia officially came out stating there is no chance of a new GPU this year. They are quoted as saying to expect their cards first quarter 2012. If you are hoping to pick up a new Nvidia video you are out of luck for this year. No rumors pertaining to performance either.

The far out reaching tech news into next year is interesting. AMD is expected to release a improved Zambezi line of processors with enhanced cores with also the cores being upped to 8. That will most likely be released way later in 2012 if it makes it. Intel gave a definite release on Ivy Bridge to be in March to April of 2012. That will be replacing the mainstream 1155 Sandy Bridge. I know this is bringing promised higher clocks/lower power usage due to this being the first 22nm CPU. Again there is no performance figures for this yet either.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-10-04 at 08:39 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum