Could BFRs work better with the new resource system? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Look! A drifter! Let's kill him!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-03-17, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Size and shape are important. Military prefers things that are not giant "shoot me" targets. Low profile, high power, low surface area. Those are good qualities.
So you make it 12 feet lowering the profile. I still don't understand your fascination with realism and what a real military would do on an alien world. Using such reasoning is not very constructive in a science fiction game.

Giving players different vehicle choices for different scenarios is beneficial. I personally want 30+ vehicles in the game as things progress so I'm more a fan of uniqueness. For instance, the difference between a buggy, tank, mech, sunderer. Basically introducing vehicles with varying handling and weapons.

A lightning for instance will probably have its long range fast firing cannon capable of lobbing shells at targets and weak customizable Gatling gun. A mech would have say slow rate of fire HSR type guns with customizable cluster rockets. Does that role overlap against say a tank that can launch a nearly LOS shell into the side of the mech or lightning? You might see a mech strafe out of the way as a tank fires shells. A lightning might be able to lob shells from a distance nailing the components of a mech while the mech launches a barrage of rockets. Or the lightning switches to its Gatling gun and starts taking aim at the arms to disable the weapon systems using skill. A tank with a an AV accurate gunner might do the same pushing the mech to move behind a tree and do sneak attacks. I digress the gameplay and balancing would be complicated so arguing about area being a large factor is pointless.

Originally Posted by Baron View Post
1) only needed crew of 1
2) configured with AV, AI, AA (or pick 2)
3) AV for the pilot worked great on most ANYTHING
4) most armor
5) most shields
6) flight <---- !!

All of that power and versatility for a 1 crew vehicle was what made BFRs completely ridiculous.
Agreed. I think you'll find there is a balanced solution without 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6. Still feel it should be 1 person. It's no different than someone in a fighter jet by themselves or a person in a lightning or a tank. Personally I'd hate to have to have 2 people gun a small balanced mech. Adding two people just leads to the BFR and tank problem where the developers give it more endurance. Not necessary if it's designed as a 1 person vehicle (relating to 4). Flight variants were generally pointless and broke the game. A ground vehicle generally should not break the border between land and air vehicles. This isn't a Starhawk mech ideally. Everyone agrees that the shields would need to go (5). A properly balanced mech wouldn't require invulnerability. I'm not against modules for vehicles as defense though. Kind of like how aircraft have flares a tank or mech could have momentary shields that pulse to block if one sees say a fighter that drops in for a rocket run.

// edit, it should be obvious now that people arguing for mechs don't want BFRs.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-17 at 01:01 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion