Fact: I play BF3, but would rather play PS1 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All your planetside are belong to us!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-04-13, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tialian
Corporal

Fact: I play BF3, but would rather play PS1

Devs take note:

The "action" portion of FPS games will only keep a person hooked for a limited amount of time. New FPS games come out each year and people are always switching because the majority (basically all except PS1) monopolize upon shiny new graphics but fail to improve on actual game play. Just look at the latest BF3 patch, obviously the folks at Dice have forgotten how to build a game and only know how to program pretty graphics...but I digress...

Want a game that will last? Want a game people will remember?

The key is IMMERSION.

Lose sight of this concept and your PS1 fan base will crumble, and lets face it you will break a lot of hearts who are counting on you to make PS2 a true sequel and not BF3.5.

Immersion means:

No map limits (you got this one down!)
Enter/exit vehicle animations (this is IMPORTANT), and internal animations if possible
Travel times (the act of moving to a target in force is a huge rush before the battle)
Realistic spawn types (the HART drop pod was my favorite from PS1)
Voice macros (these gave soldiers personality both on and off the battlefield)
Inventory (you can't carry everything, resources are limited, you must choose what you bring into battle. Equipment should be visible externally)
Vehicle ownership (like having a badass mount that is actually persistent in the world)
Creating objects that persist after death (none of this BS with stuff disappearing after death)
Music (the music is what you unintentionally hum to yourself and realize you need to play more of the game)
Friendly fire (promotes less spam)
No empire switching (empire loyalty)

I'm afraid if PS2 doesn't at least touch on all of these areas it will not be a true sequel, nor would it be worthy of the PlanetSide name. The bottom line: If it's not ready, don't release it. Patching in a key feature later on is a really bad idea because first impressions are important, many people judge a game at release time and never bother to come back later to see what's been fixed/improved.

I would like to hear from others regarding what immersion means to them.

Last edited by Tialian; 2012-04-22 at 12:33 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion