Improvement: MAX Armor - High Tech HUDs - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Feel teh <3
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-05-27, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zekeen
Major

Lightbulb MAX Armor - High Tech HUDs

Now, as we all have seen the new MAX armors, I'm sure we're all ready to throw our money to SOE for early access. So, as for the videos I've seen, I noticed something missing, something very very vital for what a MAX is.

First off, I know it's alpha, but posting ideas of things not quite revealed helps to ensure they are added, especially if the devs forget to add something. In any case....

A MAX is a walking vehicular soldier. As such, they deserve A MUCH MORE DEFINED HUD THAN INFANTRY.

Rather than being plain and vague, the idea is to let it seem more mechanical, giving information about the armor itself and other stuff. This can also allow for more MODs just for the HUD itself (maybe a targeting HUD, to spot enemies easier!).

In any case, the MAX NEEDS a nice mechanical high tech HUD (base on empire as well), to INSPIRE any player donning that massive suit of armor. Part of the concept of immersion after all.

Here is a quick concept on how a HUD would look

Semi Transparent placement of the sides to make it feel like you're looking out an enhanced helmet, to view through closed off space. Making the player feel like they are inside something strong and durable helps out with immersion and feel, and letting it be transparent prevents any reduction of visual range (though any impairment might balance the MAX a bit).

Notice on the right I give a holographic information window. Maybe even having it toggle on and off with a single key would improve it's function. Now you can see your health, your ammunition supply, and objective distance with ease. But the big reason for it is it gives you the greater feeling of the MAX suit being a super powered pinnacle of infantry capability!

Now, if my little visual aid doesn't give too good of an explanation, I'll use a game that has said HUD system.

Look at Star Wars: Republic Commando. They use a high tech helmet HUD type outlook, and it went together PERFECTLY. You felt empowered and more capable.

If we can give this feeling to a MAX suit, it'd definitely end up being more fun!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault