Revisiting Artillery, because its in. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It has farms, too!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-05-30, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Revisiting Artillery, because its in.

Here are the reference links:

Interview with Matt (timeframe 32:15-35:30):
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...59&postcount=1

Supplementary reference by Matt (BC 2 Arty):
Battlefield Bad Company Beta Artillery Gameplay - YouTube

Artillery by the name of Orbital Strike is artillery, and is even referenced by Matt as artillery, especially the TR variant. However, this artillery is not a vehicle, and I like this implementation. Why? Because PS1s constant barrage of spammy C5 splendor became rediculous... Apparently they have this in mind by limiting the use, not removing the use of artillery, though we are calling it an orbital strike. Which, in my opinion, is just a futuristic evolution of the artillery mechanic anyway, so it fits in perfectly.

Most importantly to me, it will be there... and I will not feel like there is a big hole in the "art of war" where artillery should be (...that is a big fat shit-eating grin, BTW). I have played many board games where there was "off-board" artillery, and I always loved that mechanic, and was hoping they would find a way to apply it in PS2, and here it is. "Big guns" in the distance, brought to bear... very happy.

We may not have a Flail (thank God), nor an MLRS, SPA, Fixed Gun, Field Gun, Death Star, whatever... but the "off-board" mechanic is very familiar to me, and I am happy to see an online game manifestation of it in PS2. Especially given the resource cost, timing variations, multiple patterns, and warhead yields... described by Matt, which is more than I could have asked for in an "OS"

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion