Improvement: Happy Medium - quick-knife, assassinations and knives... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You don't have to agree with me, your allowed to be wrong.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-06-19, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Ratstomper
Major

Re: Happy Medium - quick-knife, assassinations and knives...

Originally Posted by Jinxsey View Post
Infiltrators have silenced weapons, knives remain in but they are not one shots. It's just not appropriate to have insta-kill knive mechanics because there are very many ways to get to point blank range and plenty of devices (Jet pack, cloak) that vasty improve movement ability.

Knives niche, is that if you're out of amunition, you can draw your knife to kill someone at point blank range. It does more damage that "quick rifle butt" but at the end of the day, knives are more survival tools than weapons.

A beyonet would make more sense in PS2 than a knive.
That thread zerker linked is for bayonets. I'd be fine with them if someone wanted to use it instead of a rifle butt attack. It's a pretty good idea, actually.

Movement ability won't do much for backstab kills (again, I want to make clear I'm only advocating 1-hit kills for attacks made from a small area behind targets with secondary knife mode on). This game is going to be fast enough that you won't be able to pop down by someone as a LA and successfully assassinate them. It would have to be exclusively for killing targets who aren't in the thick of a fight, because walking into a firefight with a knife would be ineffective.

My issue is that knives have been used historically for combat purposes, not just as a tool. British commandos trained and used knives in this very fashion.

I'm seeing that most people don't want the mechanic because it may be abused and used in situations where it wasn't intended. This can be worked around. We wouldn't need fancy animations or anything, just a small enough target area where you cant just run around backstabbing people.

Last edited by Ratstomper; 2012-06-19 at 12:41 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault