Battle Rifle for Heavy Assault - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: side effects may include: persistent fixed glazed eyes
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-07-08, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Battle Rifle for Heavy Assault

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
Okay, then let me address the full quote directly then, not just your bolded phrase:
In addition to their utility on the field, they also excel at short to medium range combat. The Light Assault is able to choose from a diverse arsenal of various weapon types, including rifles, shotguns, and SMGs. These options allow them to adapt to whatever their environment demands.
That first sentence has a whole new meaning when you read the whole thing instead of just the latter phrase you highlighted. So they excel and short and medium ranges in addition to "out in the field," which presumably means "long" range since that's the only range that's left (though I hesitate to say purely "long range" since I like to reserve that designation for sniper rifles). In addition, they are being given rifles, which I assume already means assault rifles but could easily also include battle rifles.
Heh, ok this butchering of SOE quotes is getting silly. I'm going to stop responding to them if it keeps up. Please read the 2 paragraphs preceding that one (quoted below). It talks about jumpjets and utility grenades like flash and smoke grenades. Thats the "utility on the field". Its a real stretch to try to extend "Utility" to mean long range weapons. Damage dealing weapons are not usually described as utility. Also carbines are considered to be rifles btw. They are basically shortened assault rifles.

The Light Assault’s extreme mobility is their defining trait and allows them to move faster than most other soldiers. Each one of the Light Assault’s various Jumpjet configurations grants them the ability to take on different obstacles, shifting their role in combat. The Standard Jumpjets allow them to make their way over barriers and enemy’s heads alike. They can also equip more specialized configurations, such as the high boost Icarus Jumpjets, to reach walled objectives and perched Infiltrators, or the hovering Glider Jets, to descend on vulnerable ground targets safely.

The Light Assault also excels at supporting their empire through their unique class grenades. The blinding Flash grenades can render entire squads helpless and allow for a momentary break in defenses. They also have access to Smoke grenades, which can be used to block sniper alleys and direct the flow of combat. Both of the Light Assault’s class explosives are important in allowing their empire to make the final push in capturing difficult objectives.

In addition to their utility on the field, they also excel at short to medium range combat. The Light Assault is able to choose from a diverse arsenal of various weapon types, including rifles, shotguns, and SMGs. These options allow them to adapt to whatever their environment demands. The best Light Assault soldiers make sure to use their powerful weapons with the element of surprise, disabling enemies before they know what hit them.
==

Originally Posted by Sharkdog View Post
]Outlawdr you keep emphasizing on how great a point your making but its not a point at all its quite rhetorical.
It reads LA excel at short to medium range NOT can only fight at short to medium range.
That my friend is selective reading at its best and quoting your own personally preferred interpretation as holy gospel.
I've already given vaild gameplay arguments as to why LA shouldn't get long range weapons. Just because you disagree doesn't make it "rhetorical". There is also that quagmire of the SOE quotation about LAs. However IMHO, if anyone reads the LA descriptions and thinks SOE intended to give LA long range, they are the ones with selective reading.

Anyway, Im glad most agree HA should get battle rifles. Should other classes get it? I don't know. Maybe infiltrators and engineers, but I don't think LA should. However I do agree LA are bit bare in utility and roles, but giving them BR isn't the answer. This is why I objected to removing ammo pack from LA. Since they are a close range class, it meant they had to be close to the action, and which means they were going to close to allies as well. However if you give them long range, hell no should they get ammo box.

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-07-08 at 02:21 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion