Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genre - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Error: Quote not found.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-07-22, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Plunkies
Private

Re: Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genr

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
What are you a effing mind reader? Can you learn all that by your silly little self based on text on a screen?

Don't put words in my mouth. It really is annoying.

K/D is something you learned to manage on your own. Whether you decide to be a killwhore or figure out how to balance it in your own time is up to you. I'm against removing the stat because I think it promotes self improvement. Being part of an outfit makes you count yourself as a valued asset more then numbers on the lower left of your screen.

But you want to remove those numbers in some weak attempt at promoting an optional course of action in a game. Without considering the desires of others.
First of all, it doesn't promote self improvement. It promotes doing what you're best at that gets you the most kills with the least deaths. That and self improvement are not the same thing.

TF2 doesn't record deaths permanently. As a result, I play TF2 to improve. I practice spy, I work toward objectives to try to win games, I try new things and I just do whatever is most fun at the time.

Starcraft 2 doesn't record losses so I work on improving my mechanics and macro instead of rushing and cheesing every game for cheap wins. Before this a lot of players simply wouldn't ladder because it was too stressful for people or too much negative feedback to keep them playing the game and having fun.

In contrast, BF3 records deaths and KDR prominently. Because of that I play with KDR in mind. If it wasn't there I wouldn't. I'll even throw myself under the bus just to make a point....

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...ats/242563803/

That's what KDR does to my play. 50 MCOM placements in 1500 rush games, because why die when I can let a newb plant the MCOM while I cover and collect frags? I still play for my team, but never at the expense of myself (at least not in pubs).

Removing deaths is not a weak attempt at influencing actions at all. Most players will natural do what the game encourages them to do via score and feedback.

Originally Posted by Mythoclast View Post
By that logic not showing deaths would make players completely not recognize the importance of being cautious when the situation calls for it. Avoiding death is not more important than taking objectives but it IS important.
People already know death is bad. Dying is already punished by telling you you died and making you respawn. Players are already discouraged from dying but it isn't made more important than it should be with permanent death stats.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion