SmedBlog: eSports Support - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: <--- Insert penis here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-08-12, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Clik
Private

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

Not every game has to be an esport. I've been into competitive gaming since the dawn of Quake and The CPL. Back in the early 2000's listening to TSN shoutcasts of Tribes and staying up until 4:00am on GTV spectating Q3 CTF matches while listening to Wheat cast them. I was a CAL admin briefly for Painkiller, I've even competed in LAN tournaments for Q3 TDM. I love esports just as much as the next guy.

Smeds idea of watching kids play Dayz being an esport is just mind blowing. To me that is just people watching someone play a video game casually like I watch my nephew color in his Sponge Bob coloring book. Sure there is a lot of grey area on what a sport or esport is but lets be honest it's a competition between people with a winner.

It just seems that these companies hear the word "esports" and watch a Day9 Daily then think they have it all figured out. It's almost as if the new buzz word is "esports". I guess that's not a bad thing however you begin to see authentic games that offer a unique experience transformed into something generic that kind of has the idea, but not fully there because of limitations just to slap the word esport on it. Everyone watched blizzard do this with World of Warcraft. Though briefly successful it ultimately failed.

Planetside is a very unique experience for an MMO. No other MMO offers a huge world of non stop, deep, rich combat, with 100% player vs. player. Be careful and don't bite off more than you can chew and end up ruining something so precious for a buzz word.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion