Please Sign this PS1 Free-to-Play Petition! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: pump shit underground
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-12-24, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Re: Please Sign this PS1 Free-to-Play Petition!

Originally Posted by GuyShep View Post
4 pop locks on a free month that occurred at the same time as the Planetside Day Event, before which everyone spread the word that "You need to get on Planetside 1 at this date". At a similar time, hype for Planetside 2 was going on.
We had a steady poplock + a peripheral continent fight before the PlanetSide Day event during most prime times. I missed the PlanetSide Day event (sadly) due to college reasons. And, frankly, one poplock plus a smaller engagement is all PlanetSide 1 needs to be a golden game. It allows outfits to emphasize tactics to gain their zerg ground, and it allows smaller elite outfits to impact the meta by influencing either a secondary link on the primary continent or by taking links on other continents.

If you didn't play the game in the years preceding the PS-Day event, you have no room to talk, as I played it pretty religiously since beta, took about a 3 month break three/four times over that time, and came back as soon as "PS:Next" was announced (in which we thought it was just a revamp of PS1) and played solidly with various groups of players.

There is no itch. The vets are bitter and not optimistic or tolerant,
Gee, never thought I'd hear this one again.

and PS1 has its flaws and problems that'd steer people away from PS1.
Lol yeah, and PS2 is a flawless gem that has won me over.

Long story short, bad netcode, bad infantry handling/combat, overall weak everything besides the metagame, sanctuaries, and the inventory system(though it'd be nice to rotate your gear).
Long story short, PS2 has bad netcode (people disappearing and reappearing like ghosts), bad infantry handling/combat (seriously, run speed in PS2 is like PS1's walking speed), overall weak everything besides, no wait even the metagame, no sanctuaries + ten continents, and lack of inventory system and true character customization rather than pointless .5s TTK weapons that all feel the same and lack of empire differentiation due to TTK mechanics.

PS1 did as well as it did up to this day because there was nearly no competition(WWII Online is probably the only contender, but people wanted something simpler). If another MMOFPS showed up around Planetside 1's time, it'd give it a run for its money if it did even marginally better. However, that's not saying PS2 is competing with PS1. If PS1 went F2P, almost nothing would happen to PS2 unless capable people made a hobby out of trying to ruin PS2 for PS1's sake.
You said it yourself. If PS1 went F2P, nothing would happen to PS2. No doom and gloom. PS1 would fill up its last server with people who enjoy more it, either vets, people with old PCs, or yes, even people who like it better and never played it. It's heavily biased to say that no one will like PS1 simply because of its age. There are still thousands of people buying and playing Morrowind when it goes on sale, there are thousands in CS:Source, there are thousands in the old Quake/UT games. PS1 needs like 300 people on during prime time, more would be cool but its not necessary.

And PS1 did so well for itself because it was a great game and people who knew it played it. It didn't do well because SOE advertised it as well as they should have (it was under-advertised), it didn't do well because it beat competition (not enough people even knew about it, or its competitors, primarily WWII Online, which was even more of a ghost town before PS1 ever had population issues), and it didn't do well because it was a "niche." Those are all garbage arguments. It did well because the few people who actually got exposed to it kept playing it, hoping for some action from SOE that never came, until PS2, which doesn't live up to the name for some of us. I'm sorry if I piss you off for saying that I don't like the flashy new PS2 title more than the old one, but that's the truth, and there are many many others like me. 10+ in my outfit waiting to go back to PS1. Some of them were excited to come to PS2 with us but after they tried it they stopped, and so I only had about 2-4 dedicated outfit members to play it with, the rest I just communicate with on forums/email and they ask if PS1 is free yet.

And from the looks of the petition there are a lot of people who have the itch. 77 people in two days, and I was never a community leader of PlanetSide. I don't have a mega-book of PS contacts that I can call upon to get signatures. I asked my outfit, and then I posted here and PS2 forums, and got banned from several other game forums for trying. I have no way to market the petition beyond forums to find out how many people would sign it, not to mention the hordes of former PS1 players who aren't playing PS2 (because they are upset) whose emails or steam IDs I don't have.

If SOE wants to prove you right, they should make PS1 free for one month, no events, just emails to every PS1 account. See how it fills up and doesn't negatively impact PS2 at all. Oh wait, before you say "well obviously it would fill for one month due to the email" then have them make it free for two/three months then.

Last edited by MasterChief096; 2012-12-24 at 09:25 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion